Thread: turbo brake

Tuner in Training

turbo brake

I have been reading about tuning in a turbo brake and it looks to be fairly straight forward. Just need to adjust the max vane position and the desired position in the no throttle area. Is there any way to only have this come on when in tow/haul? It looks to me like it is going to always be on.

Do any of you guys have this set up in your tunes? Any advise is appreciated. I'll be trying it on my LBZ first and then my LLY.
    Last edited by roy67ss; 10-07-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    Roy

2007 GMC 3500HD, Sinlge Rear, ECLB, LBZ, Allison, 4x4
    - PCV reroute, EGR blocked, 4" turbo back dual out exhaust, pyro and boost gauges, led upgraded cluster and steering wheel controls
    2005 Chev 2500HD CCSB, Duramax, Allison, 4x4,
    - LBZ mouthpiece, PCV reroute, EGR blocked, pyro and boost gauges

I set one up... its on all the time for me - don't think you can only activate it in t/h

Works pretty good though and you get used to it....
    06 LBZ DMax / 6spd Allison 4x4 ACSB - Self built/tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC converter / Co-Pilot | Holley HP150 / BD Filter setup | hood stack | Homebuilt IC pipes | Homebuilt Trac Bars | Black951's | Coolingmist stg1 | ISSpro | PPE | self lowered 3/5 | Roll Pan 12.6@105 5800ft (stock trans)
    02 WRX w/ STi 6spd - Self built/tuned Holset setup w/ a buttload of other goodies 11.75@119mph 4800ft (stock block) Built Motor finished!
    TJI Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Is it as simple as I suggested?
    Did you run it down to around 1200 rpm with 99.5 % desired vane position?
    Do you need to do anything to the torque management tables to ensure the torque convertor is locked up when the turbo braking is on?
    Roy

- PCV reroute, EGR blocked, 4" turbo back dual out exhaust, pyro and boost gauges, led upgraded cluster and steering wheel controls

I ran it down to 1000 rpms... with a peak of about 93% iirc.. then tapered vane position off at the higher rpms... so at like 2500 rpms I was only in the 80's % wise (again, iirc).

I set my TC to lock much earlier in non t/h but it still unlocks sooner than it does in t/h.... in t/h it will stay locked up as you decel pretty far, I don't think you need to change anything in the tq management tables (I didn't for this)
    06 LBZ DMax / 6spd Allison 4x4 ACSB - Self built/tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC converter / Co-Pilot | Holley HP150 / BD Filter setup | hood stack | Homebuilt IC pipes | Homebuilt Trac Bars | Black951's | Coolingmist stg1 | ISSpro | PPE | self lowered 3/5 | Roll Pan 12.6@105 5800ft (stock trans)
    02 WRX w/ STi 6spd - Self built/tuned Holset setup w/ a buttload of other goodies 11.75@119mph 4800ft (stock block) Built Motor finished!
    TJI Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Everything I am reading about this would indicate that I want it on up to like 4000+ rpm and only start loosing it below about 1000 - 1200 rpm. I know that is where I would need and want it when towing my trailer. Does yours work well?
    Roy

It works pretty good although I have only hauled once since I bought the truck (and it wasn't heavy)... once I get my car back together I'll do a little more pulling.

But even decelerating with no load it will make 6-7psi in t/h. It's very noticable
    TJI Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I figured it's better than starting a new one I'm a noob so please bear with me. I've purchased HP but won't get it till later this week. I was reading some of the other threads on the gassers and it seems as though for those the tow/haul activates performance tables. Do the diesels have these tables?

If so, then wouldn't we be able to adjust the tq lock up and VVP in just the performance tables?
    Jimmy

2005 LLY 4x4 3500 DRW 4 door
    AFE 4" Exhaust, AFE Stage II Intake (w/ Bladerunner), HPTUNER software!

2012 Keystone Raptor - 41ft 18k lbs

multiple smaller toys/ trailers/ campers

Potential Tuner
    Not to dig up an old thread but....

Anyone have any tables for the turbo brake for a LLY? I think I did mine right, but just want to compare to others on aggressiveness.

Also how is everyone adjusting the torque converter lockup?

Capture.PNG