Thread: New User and New Question

Tuner in Training

New User and New Question

Hi all im new here from Australia. I will be picking up my software tommorow ;D and looking forward to a new learning curve. My first question is as follows. I have been provided a couple of bin files for my vehicle and would like to try these out.
    Basically i will be backing up my current tune to a fresh bin file incase i need to roll back.
    Now with the new bin files do i need to copy the parameters in every tab after i read and backup my current bin file or can i just download them to the vehicle directly? Sorry i know its a basic question for most but if someone can explain the process of installing a new bin file to my vehicle. I do realize i have lots of reading ahead of me but i need to start somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
    wrexed03

Advanced Tuner

Re: New User and New Question

rewriting the entire bin file is not recommended nor required, the only time you should do that is if you need to change your operating system, maybe because you want to update to a newer version or go boosted or whatever.

You will be far better off to just start modify your stock file a little at a time.

Here is a rule you should live by (or loose your engine)

**any file supplied by someone else may have errors that can break your engine or just plain old may be incompatible with your system**
    There is no replacement for displacement?&&sure there is, its called a Blower!

Tuner in Training

Thanks for your prompt reply rattle. Agree with your rule. I need to start somewhere I asked for these so i can compare stock with modified. Basically i want to use these as a template. So just to clarify backup my own PCM which in turn will create a new bin file. Make a copy on my laptop somwhere incase i need to roll back. Just make changes to current bin file and copy back to PCM. I dont want to say goodbye to my motor just yet.

regards

Welcome Fellow Aussie !

Use the .bin's youve been provided as examples of whats been changed, it depends if they were for your exact make/model.

I started by sucking out my stock holden tune, then starting with small things like upping rev limits , then moving onto slowing chaning shift firmness and then onto the VE table etc.

Open the .bin's youve been provided in the flash editor when you get it and look at the initial screen with operating system etc on it, make sure the primary numbers are the same, if they are, they would be generally safe to flash onto your PCM as a calibration change, if any of the numbers change (not the checksum) then i wouldnt be doing it just incase

What sort of vehicle ?

Ross

Tuner in Training

Hi Ross thanks for your reply. I have two bin files which were provided to me. They are for my VZ SS M6 and i have one for the 4sp Auto which we will be using on my mates VZ Crewman SS. I will check the numbers as you mentioned but i am not prepared to do a complete flash of the replacement bins. First plan of attack on my friends Crewman was to turn off all torque management and leave it at that till we get more familliar with VCM Suite. Been doing heaps of reading to get the hang of it. A little difficult without the actual software. I guess i will find out tommorow if all the reading has paid off. Time to put it into practice. Just realized i should have posted this in the other part of the forum for newbies. Sorry all.

Regards