Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lil treat since it was just Halloween ;)

Stuff like this is how we got started on PGMFI.org. You were pretty much stuck with whatever Hondata gave you back then, and often it didn't really meet the requirements. A bunch of Excels like this turned into a lot more.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Gimp

Tuner in Training
    Definitely will plan on messing around with this to help smooth out all of the tables

Thanks for everything you've done for the community, Nick.

Is the Calc dyno something similar to how DashHawk calcs HP but just in a graphical plot form? Those that have the DashHawk might know what I mean.

Before I say my bit, I'd respect the fact that a lot of work went into making these spreadsheets.

With that said, if people copying in and out of excel to tune a car, they should go back and read the HPT help files. HPT has developed a tuning suite with more than enough power to tune a vehicle without any help from excel.
    The smoothing and interpolation systems for wonders when used in the right way, and in the right format. Furthermore conditional and transient filters have now allowed us to manipulate the data as it's logged to allow for a more efficient tuning experience. The big thing, though, is know how to use them.

Then again, note that I am simply stating an opinion. I'm not going to tell people to change their methods, because there is no single way to tune a car. If anyone feels that using a secondary filtering system via excel is a better way of doing things, then to each their own.
    Tyler

I sent you an email with a nifty little algorithm for auto smoothing out the tables. Let me know if it looks like it is worth using.

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    LSJ version added above
    *hug*

Quote Originally Posted by omega_5 View Post
    Before I say my bit, I'd respect the fact that a lot of work went into making these spreadsheets.

With that said, if people copying in and out of excel to tune a car, they should go back and read the HPT help files. HPT has developed a tuning suite with more than enough power to tune a vehicle without any help from excel.
    The smoothing and interpolation systems for wonders when used in the right way, and in the right format. Furthermore conditional and transient filters have now allowed us to manipulate the data as it's logged to allow for a more efficient tuning experience. The big thing, though, is know how to use them.

Then again, note that I am simply stating an opinion. I'm not going to tell people to change their methods, because there is no single way to tune a car. If anyone feels that using a secondary filtering system via excel is a better way of doing things, then to each their own.
    The smoothing functions may very well work better, Im not denying that. My complaint is I just can't "see" the 3d map as well using HP alone. I have an easier time using this spreadsheet and manually smoothing my timing table. Like Gimp, I come from the "older school" of tuning using text logs and spreadsheets, so Im just familiar with this.

As stated before, HP doesn't have a Road Dyno app, so that's at least useful lol.

The smoothing functions may very well work better, Im not denying that. My complaint is I just can't "see" the 3d map as well using HP alone. I have an easier time using this spreadsheet and manually smoothing my timing table. Like Gimp, I come from the "older school" of tuning using text logs and spreadsheets, so Im just familiar with this.

As stated before, HP doesn't have a Road Dyno app, so that's at least useful lol.
    I know what you mean by the 'old 'school'. I learned tuning on only chip burners and rough hex editors. Back then you needed a bunch of programs to do the same thing that we can do with one, now.
    And yes, HPT doesn't have a road dyno app, and I doubt they will ever support one within their software.

With respect to 'seeing' the smoothing.... I simply click the split view option; the detail of a table, combined with the graphical representation of a 3D graph or 2D chart. Every action you do in one view 'traces' on the other view. It's quite convenient.
    Tyler

I just dont find it AS easy to use. To each his own tho really, like even you said, there's prolly 1,000 ways to go about getting the same end result lol

Since we're talking about it... I can't remember how to rotate the graph view in HPT.. you hold something down and you can turn the table.. anyone remember what that is?

Tuner in Training
    BYT very nice!

I just dont find it AS easy to use. To each his own tho really, like even you said, there's prolly 1,000 ways to go about getting the same end result lol
    That's the important thing. Everyone has their own way of doing things, and as long as it dials the car in safely and efficiently, it really doesn't matter what the process is.

Quote Originally Posted by 383_Stroker View Post
    Since we're talking about it... I can't remember how to rotate the graph view in HPT.. you hold something down and you can turn the table.. anyone remember what that is?
    In graphical view;
    - left click 'grabs' the highlighted node
    - right click allows rotation of the graph
    - left+right click allows zooming of the graph
    Tyler

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by omega_5 View Post
    That's the important thing. Everyone has their own way of doing things, and as long as it dials the car in safely and efficiently, it really doesn't matter what the process is.

In graphical view;
    - left click 'grabs' the highlighted node
    - right click allows rotation of the graph
    - left+right click allows zooming of the graph
    Not just rotate, but rotate over all three axis. Just right click and hold.
    Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Not just rotate, but rotate over all three axis. Just right click and hold.
    Indeed, I should have specified that.

On that note as well.... the axis labels auto position when you move the graph, so you always have an accurate view of your data.

Last edited by omega_5; 11-03-2010 at 11:55 AM.
    Tyler

Road dyno teaser... Hope you don't mind, Nick.

4.7 sec pull last week.

'12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Thanks Guys

I dont mind at all, if anyone sends me a csv output of their log I can do it quick for them too.

Im getting close on the programming for that page, should be another couple days

Tuner in Training
    Nick,

Interested in seeing if it was close to our latest dyno we just had.

Post it when you get a chance. Yeah Unlock that Road Dyno. Password must be BYTRules?

On another note i just got in today the 2.8 pulley zzp s3 Heat Exchanger.

Ordering Dual Pass and Option B with a Meth Kit Shortly.

Assuming i wont be able to get my car started until we get the new injectors set.

Advanced Tuner
    I really wish there was an easy way to make a road dyno like this on car's that dont have a maf. I know of at least one way I could estimate air flow but it seems error prone (wide band reading, along with actual fuel flowing in to guess at air flow).
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!