Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Lil treat since it was just Halloween ;)

There is a dynojet here in Topeka I've been thinking about using, but I'm worried about putting my stock clutch car on there. I guess I could ask the operator to start at a higher RPM.

Just really don't have the time/place to pop in a clutch, and don't trust anyone to do the work.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
    Only one E-47 car I have tuned has dynoed but he did it on Werk's heartbreaker Mustang dyno they have that has stock tune LNF Balts at 205-210 whp and 210 wtrq and most tuned ones at 250 whp 300 wrtq. The E-47 car made 285 whp and 340 wrtq on E-47 and 22 psi.

If you're talking about my car the boost was a little higher than that, more like 24-25...with 150 IAT2's and pulling 3* of timing. I love that dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpster View Post
    There is a dynojet here in Topeka I've been thinking about using, but I'm worried about putting my stock clutch car on there. I guess I could ask the operator to start at a higher RPM.

Just really don't have the time/place to pop in a clutch, and don't trust anyone to do the work.
    There are plenty of people running the stock clutch making around 350-375 ft. lbs. The clutch seems to do better when it's warm.

Tuner in Training
    well i might be able to help... im going to a dyno on tuesday... the problem is its a mustang dyno... i can datalog if need it and post a chart....

Gimp -- My stock clutch would slip at ~300% airload if that helps gauge it any.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 11-06-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

My clutch is holding, but not if I do something silly like punch it in 4th/5th down low .. it slips. So having a dyno operator punch it in 4th pretty low while trying to rotate a heavy drum seems iffy.

Shrug, who knows.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpster View Post
    My clutch is holding, but not if I do something silly like punch it in 4th/5th down low .. it slips. So having a dyno operator punch it in 4th pretty low while trying to rotate a heavy drum seems iffy.

Shrug, who knows.
    man, the hhrs gear ratio must help a lot when it comes to clutch slip. I've had my clutch slip once over 40k being tuned, even on 1:1 mix pushing 24* timing on as much boost as my car would do in 5th gear it wouldn't slip. the one time it did slip was with the .030 pill in and going wot in 3rd gear at 2500rpm, I pulled the pill out that night.

Yah back in the pill days on my old coupe slip was silly, so I put the spec in.

Tuner in Training
    The clutch on my HHR was slipping with just the stage tune and nothing else when it had about 10k on it. I had my car on the dyno last year and it made 300 hp and 340 trq. Since then I put the down pipe and fooled around with the tune a bit but not much so maybe gained 10 whp. So if you want a log of my car to see what it looks like on your spread sheet let me know and we can see if it's close to my dyno numbers.

Advanced Tuner
    I have something that will really warm the hearts of those of you without maf's and want to dyno your car on the street. I present to you Brad Barnhill's Virtual Dyno, http://www.bradbarnhill.com/projects/VirtualDyno/ Yes there is no definition for our cars but making one is quite easy (you just need to edit the xml document in the programs directory to add the car, once you open it should be self explanatory) I made one for the cavy. You also need to edit your csv file from hpt (basically just take the time, rpm, and tps columns and copy them into a new file). You also need to make these settings (in the options menu)

and then make a spread sheet that looks like this and save it as a .csv file

Then you can get a graph that looks like this.

Then increase your smoothing to make it look like a dyno graph should.

Pretty nice. And I think it reads high by a good bit of power. Let me know if you want to compare it to your VD or to any real graphs.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
    I bet your car makes more HP than that Tom. Torque seems about where your car should be. VE airflow cannot represent HP very well especially E-85 blend cars. Perfect example is one of the cars I tuned on E-47. His car sees only 26-27lbs/min VE airflow which would seem to equate to about 270 whp but there is no way that his car is less than 300 whp because he puts a couple buses on a ~290 whp SC Cobalt.
    Is there a formula for getting whp from VE airflow? I am stock everything except airbox mod and on one of my more recent logs, saw 28.82 VE.
    2009 SS/TC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosteve View Post
    Is there a formula for getting whp from VE airflow? I am stock everything except airbox mod and on one of my more recent logs, saw 28.82 VE.
    Not a 100% accurate formula because there are too many variables that go into how much power a car makes. Timing, A/F, airflow all come into play.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SloFive View Post
    If you're talking about my car the boost was a little higher than that, more like 24-25...with 150 IAT2's and pulling 3* of timing. I love that dyno.

There are plenty of people running the stock clutch making around 350-375 ft. lbs. The clutch seems to do better when it's warm.
    Yeah I remember you saying the IAT2s were up to 150* that alone was costing you some power. IIRC on the street under normal loads you are hitting 22-23psi.

Leafy - I have the virtual dyno app and have played with it a few times, I couldn't get anything close to an accurate result without messing with the vehicle weight a LOT. This is a similar idea just designed for our logs and cars specifically.

Typically, virtual dynos are very inaccurate. However, if it is designed for one specific car you could theoretically make it fairly accurate.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    Leafy - I have the virtual dyno app and have played with it a few times, I couldn't get anything close to an accurate result without messing with the vehicle weight a LOT. This is a similar idea just designed for our logs and cars specifically.
    thats good for you guys with maf. I kind of threw this in here for the few of us around who dont have maf's. And mine is calibrated to our cars specifically, has the correct coef drag and frontal area and underestimated weight.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Nick - Have you had any more time to work on the Road Dyno?

Pretty close to ready. rnjmur is throwing in some excellent code contributions and we're getting the last detail with the importing csv option to work correctly. When finished, you will be able to import your csv right thru the sheet and it will sort the data for you as well.

Great! Thanks!

I have a new update coming today or tomorrow. It has rnjmur's auto smoothing function added and it works VERY nicely

Still trying to get the dyno page finished, its very close tho as well

Newest Version has now been released. Quite a few things have changed eventho it doesn't immediately look like it, look closer

The auto smooth works quite well! Try it for the hell of it even. rnjmur had some excellent contributions with that function, he even made it have finer resolution for the maf correction table. Just realize it takes about a minute to run, and you can watch it work on the table/chart

AND

Road Dyno is available for use now. We'll call this the "beta testing" phase. Please try it out and lemme know if you find issues. You will find it is best to use a shorter log with only 1 WOT pull in it. If you have a few pulls in 1 log, you may want to edit the CSV first and remove the other pulls. I will be addressing this issue as we go further

Another thing to note: If you have a bad MAP sensor, it won't work, at all...don't bother trying.

If your MAP Blanks out during a pull from high boost, you need to go into the CSV file and manually "smooth your VE line". If you need help, post a screenie of your pull from the logger with the csv attached.

Screenies: (I added a marker for what's supposed to be the max...but that's not working right yet lol)

You can see the marker isn't on the max point here...
    Last edited by BackyardTurbo_FTW; 11-16-2010 at 05:10 PM.