Thread: AFR on a 2002 chevy malibu

Tuner in Training

AFR on a 2002 chevy malibu

I'm trying to increase my fuel economy on my 2002 chevy malibu. Right now, my AFR is set to 14.7. Is it possible to lower this number and run a little leaner to increase my fuel economy or is there a better way to increase my fuel economy on my car with stock engine and no aftermarket stuff.

Potential Tuner
    Where are you at right now with mpg? Did you try changing the spark tables as well (possibly in combination with a slightly richer mixture). Also try running in OL and average your O2 voltage at 14.7 commanded. I did this and noticed by the average my engine actually runs at about 14.4-14.5, probably due to the 'up to 10% ethanol' in the fuel for our area.

You need access to the rich/lean thresholds for the narrowband and HPT doesn't have these mapped, if you want to lean out your cruise a little. It's a waste of timing running lean though, you won't pick up much, if any, mpg. Most of it will come from timing. On pump gas, you want to run +/- 40* in the lower airmasses. Slightly more might be possible depending on your car/mods/gas.

Advanced Tuner
    If you want to increase your fuel economy lowering your afr is not the way to do it. You want to raise it.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Advanced Tuner
    timing at cruise.... specifically where you cruise primarily , especially if your commute is at a steady speed.

open up your timing histogram and watch which cells you are in the most and concentrate your efforts there , cell count can be helpful too to see which cells you stay in.

the cells where you are at low load or coasting will tolerate a lot of timing , the low rpm high load cells you hit starting up a steeper grade wont take nearly as much

you will be amazed how little you have to press on the pedal to go up a slight grade at speed once you get timing optimized and it will increase your mpg , I routinely averaged 30 when I commuted 2 states away 6 days a week and tuned timing this way

my commute was 95% route 95 at 72/73 mph and on occasion I would go 15 min out of my way to the track 1/2 way home and run mid 13's on the same tune that got me 30mpg this was with one of my 3800 sc regals
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)