Thread: Perf Shift in SE

Tuner in Training

Perf Shift in SE

Hi i have a 98 gp se that doesnt have a perf shift button. I am about to add a shift kit and would like the most perf possible. I have the perf shift tables in my pcm, (aftermarket pcm) along with the reg shifting. The tables are indeed different. How do i go about getting the properties of perf shift mode to work without perf shift mode active?
    **Update- Ok so i think i am holding off on the shift kit and wanna start with a tune first. Can someone take a look at the differences between my normal and performance shift tables and tell me if i can just transfer the perf. table data over to normal data table so i can just run the perf. shift settings all the time. Thanks!
    Last edited by dstrand; 11-15-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Please, anyone?

Senior Tuner
    Do you have solid mounts or poly mounts installed in the car? That will play a big role in what you can do without tearing the crap out of them. You can up shift pressures and shift points to make it dam close to a kit with HP, but you need the supporting mods to make it right. If you have poly mounts let us know and I can help you with this.

at a glance, your normal shift times for the 1-2 and 2-3 are way to low for a stock trans. I would say try the performance tables and it might improve what you have now from the normal tables..
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Advanced Tuner
    you can copy performance tables over to normal , and then you would be running performance all the time.

Thats what I did with my wifes car so I wouldnt have to hear her say why do you always have to turn that on when you drive MY car

click on the uppermost ,left most cell (its empty) to highlight the entire performance table , then right click and choose copy then paste into the normal table , when you are done choose "save as" that way if there is any issue you can go back to what you have currently before reflashing it
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Tuner in Training
    ok i just have the stock poly mounts for the trans and the motor. /which one are u talking about? Also this is not a stock table. Its modified by cartuning performance for use with my 62mm. turbo. I have a shift kit but i still want to tune it. I want more crisp shifts this tune isnt cutting it. So i can swap every single table from normal to performance and should shift a lil bit better? Can i also install the shift kit(shims) and if so how wild can i go. Talk to me about these solid mounts?

Senior Tuner
    I would start with copying the performance tables to the normal ones to see how it feels and how your car handles it like murphinator has suggested for you. There are guys like Milzymotorsports.com that can supply stiffer mounts to allow you to make full use of that shift kit. With a shift kit in the car, it should be your next investment to take full advantage of what you have done . The factory mounts wont take that kind of force for long before they are reduced to torn, broken mush.
    The internals will limit how far you can go with your shift pressures and shift time. A kit installed to a stock trans can easily destroy it, so make small steps to get where you like the feel. So, for now, do try the performance tables out and see if you like it! I would install mounts before you go much further than that. The mounts will make a big difference to the feel of the car with the "performance tables" you will go to from here.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    at a glance, your normal shift times for the 1-2 and 2-3 are way to low for a stock trans. I would say try the performance tables and it might improve what you have now from the normal tables..
    Just looking over my normal tables vs my perf files, it actually looks like the tune for the norm shifting is better than what the perf tables are... am i not right? Shift pressure is higher, shift times are higher, etc. Got done looking through a gtp's perf. pressure tables.. much more appealing!, the entire table is way higher than what i have. Can i go ahead and swap in the gtp's perf pressure table, same transmission excempt mine is non hd.

Tuner in Training
    Please, anyone. There is virtually no contact between me and cartuning performance, the one who tuned my setup. If anyone could compare my perf and norm shift files vs the gtp's...

Tuner in Training
    grr..

Advanced Tuner
    If the tune has been altered in a way assuming you dont have a performance shift switch, most people just change the normal settings. In such cases, it is highly possible that they might be more aggressive then the stock (untouched) performance settings...

If you want to try stock GTP settings (normal or performance), go for it. There are a lot of things that factor in to how they tables will do (mods, personal driving habits, etc).

There is nothing special about the "Performance" tables though. In some files, they are exactly the same as normal. The switch is just to switch between to sets of tables. You could, in theory, make the "normal" table the more aggressive setup and make the performance tables more timid.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.