Thread: Shift tuning

Tuner in Training

Shift tuning

I have a 2001 V6 Camaro A4. It has ZZP GT2 Cam, Ported intakes, Headers, True duels, And the B@M transpak shift kit.

I am trying to raise the shift points/revlimiter. and change the shift speeds. Can i do anything to the the torque converter?
    I want to take off the torque management aswell.
    Is there anything elso i can do to add a little umph?
    The tuner has normal and performance settings but the camaro does not have a performance button or shift button whatever its called. so when would the performance tables come into play?

Here is my stock tune, and one i have done some work to.
    Attachment 26075

Attachment 26076

Tuner in Training
    Also i have different sized tires thier 225/60/16 little taller then stock

The performance table will never come into play unless you wire in a button for it and enable it in the .bin

Not really anything you can change regarding the torque converter. You can change the torque converter clutch (TCC) lockup stuff but it wont be beneficial to you.

I adjusted my tire size using a GPS on the freeway.

Tuner in Training
    Ok what can i do to keep it in 4th gear? when i am on the freeway cruising in 4th and i give it a little gas it likes to down shift to 3rd to easly.

To make it less easy to downshift, extend the 4-3 row farther to the right. Mine looks like this:

39 39 39 39 39 255 255 .... the rest are 255s. The last 39 is at 25% TPS. This means that for anything under 25% tps AND above 39 mph, the trans will stay in 4th. After that, anything above 25% throttle and below 255 mph will cause it to downshift. I recommend setting it up how I have mine, as you don't want very much stress placed on 4th gear. It's made out of wood

Senior Tuner
    Just to add here, make sure you are engaging your TC when in 4th or you will quickly burn it. Ive found that 50-55 max is a good range for TCC MIN, MAX to 100. Raise shift points from there till you like the "feel" of it.

Tuner in Training
    so if my numbers where numbers where

40 40 40 40 40 40 40 60 109~~ and i change it to
    45 45 45 45 45 45 45 60 109~~ it will stay in 4th better? or did i go the wrong way do i need to minus? like 38 38 38 38~~

And do i need to adjust my TCC apply release speeds to match? i noticed that my 4-3 shift speed and my 4th gear TCC release have the same numbers at the same points?

If i raise my shift RPM will i need to raise my shift MPH to match?
    Last edited by 01PewterDropTop; 11-24-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Increase the #'s to the right side of the table like Oak's suggestion, not the left side. If you raise the shift RPM you do need to raise your MPH. The VCM will reference whatever value it sees first. In discussions here in the last couple of years though, I have seen cars that have reported that they need to meet both tables, so cross them up and have your RPM and MPH in sync for this one. Would be my best advice for anyone tuning shift points.

So should you raise your shift RPMs and speed at an equal percentage. Would that work out?
    2004 Grand Am SC/T- Eaton Magnuson M62 supercharger, 2.6" pulley, EGR delete, Greddy PCV oil catch system, 42.5lb/hr injectors, LS1 MAF, custom CAI, cooling mist meth injection system

Senior Tuner
    Dont think so. What I will do is pick the RPM I want to shift at, then check the log to see what the MPH reported was for the shift, and just put that # in the shift point.
    2000 Trans Am WS6