Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Enhanced I/O Interface recall / repair

Enhanced I/O Interface recall / repair

Since I have to send my interface back for your recall / repair, are there any soon to be released improvements that involve the hardware? If so, and to save on shipping costs, I may delay returning it until I can up-grade at the same time.

Also, are you offering a software upgrade extension to the 90 or so of us affected by this interface failure, for inconvenience and to help defray the shipping costs. I'm in Canada, so the cost of shipping and insuring for full value is not insignificant.

Many thanks, and best regards.

Bill Fischer
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Advanced Tuner

Re: Enhanced I/O Interface recall / repair

Werd, I am not too thrilled about this as well.
    I am also not excited that you sent my email address to like 40 other people.. but hey.. mistakes happen..
    -Bill
    2000 Camaro V6 Boltons and a tune

Tuner

I just put you on my Spam list.

Has anyone heard anything about turn-around time?
    2007 VR z06...stock right now

I sent mine back today, I hope the turn around isn't that long spring is almost here.

2002 Quick Silver Z06 - Breathless Performance Shifter, DynaTech Headers SwainTech Coated, A&A Vortech Kit

I am hearing that 2.0 is going to have USB support. Maybe if we wait, we can get the USB cable free for our troubles??????
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Yeah, I can see that happening..... never... Nice try though.
    -Ryan

2002 ECSB
    Radix 3.0"
    220/226 548/575 114LSA
    TOG Headers

Guys,

I am very sorry about exposing the email addresses. It was one of those "oh crap" moments about a millisecond after i hit the send button.

2.0 will bring new USB/CAN hardware so you could wait until then.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner

FWIW you may want to verify your cable is even affected before sending them back...

To Test I had my cable plugged in all night (~15 hours) got in the car this morning, started the scanner and scanned for an hour, no problems

Left cable plugged in, then changed gears on a friends F-Body with no problems at all (27 second write same as always)
    Mike Horist
    00 WS6 (TA) | 04 WS6 (GTP Comp G)
    Mike \\#at&\\ horist \\&dot$\\com

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned

Tuner in Training

If you look at previous threads I've written about not being able to get connected and dropped during scans and unable to be reconnected I was happy to recieve this email. I'm not to thrilled about sending it back either and hope the turnaround is very very quick as well. I'm just glad I wasn't going crazy. I bought a used laptop, thought it was broken, bought a new one and tried 3 different USB cable and finally got the socketcom ruggedized PCMCIA card and was still having issues.

In the end, I'm just happy it's going to be rectified period. Yeah HP tuners!

Dougie
    2005 C6-402ci
    515whp/465wtq

Advanced Tuner

I've had so many intermittent problems with losing connection with multiple serial cables and multipe laptops, I have no problem exchanging mine. Deciding when it is convenient is another matter.

I'm glad that HPT has been looking at the problem and arrived at a solution. It would've saved me some hair if they would've posted that they were able to duplicate the problem earlier ;D
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Senior Tuner

This does not affect all Enhanced units. Just a small production run of them.

The issue is a leaky capacitor that gets worse over time. The defective capacitor will be replaced no charge and shipped back to you.

You must pay for the shipping to get the unit to us for repair. Return shipping will be covered.

If yours is affected you will receive an email notification within a week or two. If not, your unit was not involved.

Ken

... and are you offering a token software upgrade extension period as compensation for the inconvenience?
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Senior Tuner

Inconvenience?

A $12 USPS mailing fee on your end (and thats for next day delivery) hardly warrants a $100.00 upgrade.

Ken

As posted above, I'm in Canada. Unfortunately it costs far more than $12 for next day USA delivery on a package insured for $650. In any event, I didn't expect your $100 upgrade. I envisioned perhaps a token two month extension, or something similar to defray the cost. After all, there's only 90 of us affected, and it would have been a nice gesture.

My company used to manufacture electronic equipment. No customer ever paid anything to return a product that was recalled due to a manufacturing defect. It was part of customer service. Obviously you have a different approach. My apologies for mentioning it.

to you too.
    Best regards,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531
    My company used to manufacture electronic equipment. No customer ever paid anything to return a product that was recalled due to a manufacturing defect. It was part of customer service. Obviously you have a different approach. My apologies for mentioning it.

to you too.
    I am going to agree we should not have to pay for shipping back when it is your fault. Whats up with that we didnt do anything wrong?

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

Tuner in Training

I'm not involved, but I do agree with these guys.

You are recalling a defective product. Not only are these people going to experience down time while this is being fixed (or waiting for 2.0 to come out before they send it in), but you expect them to pay shipping? That is just a poor way to deal with the situation IMO.

If you don't want to mess with all the shipping charges, add on to their support or something. At least do something to show that you are making an effort to make this recall as little trouble for the customer as possible.

By no means am I saying that this recall deserves a rediculous $100-$200 upgrade for free. I am just saying that the customers should be shown that they are being taken care of.

Sorry to rant, this just bothers me a little bit...and I'm not even involved.

Good luck everyone!

Advanced Tuner

It affects me and I'm not really that upset. I'm not made of money, but a couple bucks to ship the thing back is not that big of a deal. At least they told us about the defect, they could have said nothing. Maybe a one month extention would be nice, but not neccesary. Maybe it's just around where I live, but there are a lot of shady companies that would have said nothing about the defect to save face and not pay for the recall. I'm just happy that HPT staff notified us. It's a lot of work for them to pay us exactly what we spend on shipping, so I don't think that is a reasonable solution; I would rather have someone working on 2.0 then looking through all of our shipping recepts to get a few bucks back. Heck I'm going to spend more in gas driving back and forth to work this morning then shipping an under 1 lb package.
    Phil K.
    02 Camaro SS 5.7L LS1
    01 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L LQ4 4L80E 78/75 turbo with Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by matts_222
    I'm not involved, but I do agree with these guys.

You are recalling a defective product. Not only are these people going to experience down time while this is being fixed (or waiting for 2.0 to come out before they send it in), but you expect them to pay shipping? That is just a poor way to deal with the situation IMO.

If you don't want to mess with all the shipping charges, add on to their support or something. At least do something to show that you are making an effort to make this recall as little trouble for the customer as possible.

By no means am I saying that this recall deserves a rediculous $100-$200 upgrade for free. I am just saying that the customers should be shown that they are being taken care of.

Sorry to rant, this just bothers me a little bit...and I'm not even involved.

Good luck everyone!
    Thats how I see it..

Its gunna cost me a bit of money as well, MD -> CA
    But I am not even that worried about the money, Its more just a hassle of having to pack it up, take it to the post office, waste time there, waste money there, its takes time from my day ect ect ect..

All for something thats out of my control and honestly not my fault/problem.
    This is clearley even ignoring the other stuff all of the people who bought in early got "screwed" over on.

There are great companys that have concern about their customers, their opinions, and their time. and then there is everyone else..

Caspers one of this companys affiliates is a "great company". I had a problem with one of their o2 SIM's a while ago and they sent me a new one that day no questions asked, and then offered free replacement on the old ones, and free shipping on any new ones to the whole v6 camaro comunity. They are also working on a fuel injector adapter for us-me as we speek. Just an example.

I am honestly surprised HPT has taken the road to mediocrecy.
    -Bill

Advanced Tuner

I don't see the situation as anyones "fault". I mean no one put the bad cap in there on purpose. Yes it is a pain to have to send the thing back, especially when I'm going to start using my WB this week. I going to send my dongle back early on Monday of next week and hope that I can get it back soon after.

Of course, Ken said something about an e-mail notification if we are affected. Is this a different e-mail then the one I got on the 10th from Chris? If so, I'll just wait and see if I'm one of the small number affected.
    Phil K.
    02 Camaro SS 5.7L LS1
    01 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L LQ4 4L80E 78/75 turbo with Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by pknowles
    I don't see the situation as anyones "fault". I mean no one put the bad cap in there on purpose. Yes it is a pain to have to send the thing back, especially when I'm going to start using my WB this week. I going to send my dongle back early on Monday of next week and hope that I can get it back soon after.

Of course, Ken said something about an e-mail notification if we are affected. Is this a different e-mail then the one I got on the 10th from Chris? If so, I'll just wait and see if I'm one of the small number affected.
    As a customer, its their fault. They are the ones changed with providing the final product, support, and repairs.

The email was pretty clear. it effectivly said, there was an issue, your cable needs to be returned for repairs and then provided instructions on how to return it.

pretty strait forward. if you dident recive that email then i am assuming your cable was not effected.
    -Bill