Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: totally lost on maf tuning

Tuner in Training

totally lost on maf tuning

I don't know how to do the histograms. I got a new cold air intake and I appear to be burning more fuel. I have narrow band o2 sensors. When I did a scan of my o2 sensor it appears to be going out of wack a little. It stays on the rich side more than it stays on the lean side. So, I know the vehicle is putting in more gas due to an increase in air. What can I do?

Tuner in Training
    What are your long term fuel trims like while you're scanning?

Quote Originally Posted by jgammon1979 View Post
    I don't know how to do the histograms. I got a new cold air intake and I appear to be burning more fuel. I have narrow band o2 sensors. When I did a scan of my o2 sensor it appears to be going out of wack a little. It stays on the rich side more than it stays on the lean side. So, I know the vehicle is putting in more gas due to an increase in air. What can I do?

histogram video thanks to hptuners staff..

http://www.hptuners.com/help/demos/customhisto.swf

other help videos and helpful info on how to use the scanner and editor.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058

We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Tuner in Training
    My long term fuel trims hangs around -5 and short term fuel trim is around -2

Tuner in Training
    Could someone make me a custom histogram to use for maf calibration. I can't figure out how to do the long term fuel trim vs short term fuel trim vs maf frequency. I think that is what it is to recalibrate the maf. It would be most appreciated. Just post it as an attachment so I can import it into my scanner.

Tuner in Training
    You don't really need short term fuel trims to calibrate the MAF, just long term. Make a single line histogram comparing LTFTs to MAF Hz. What part of this are you not understanding? Its difficult to help you when I don't really know where to start.

Here you go man, make yours look just like this:

Advanced Tuner
    I have had my tuner for over a year I still can't figure things out.
    I wish I could have a local that could mentor me, one on one.
    Just for the stupid, "how do I do that?" questions.
    I can do "some" changes, but to do histo's and then where do you make the changes.
    this thread has great timing for me!
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Tuner in Training

once I have a histogram for the maf vs stft + ltft how do I get the data

Okay, I got the histogram made. How do I log the data to calibrate it? Do I save it seperate? I got the standard interface, so I know I need to take my laptop with, but how do I start the logging and also how do I end it?

How do I log the data to calibrate it?
    click the play button that says "start scanning" when you put the mouse over it.

Do I save it seperate?
    from what?

also how do I end it?
    click the square stop button that say's "stop scanning" when you put the mouse over it.

all of wich are in post 3 .. the help file demo's that i linked you to..

see attached

Advanced Tuner
    you can also start and stop your scan using the space bar.

be sure to save your scan and name it before you close out the scanner so you dont lose your data
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    I have some cells in the 6K area that are in the -8 to -12 range.
    which way should the changes be made under the paste special?
    Subtract or multiply by half?

for the other direction, +numbers,
    Which is the best way to correct them?
    (redundant question! I know. just trying to fully understand)
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoJB View Post
    I have some cells in the 6K area that are in the -8 to -12 range.
    which way should the changes be made under the paste special?
    Subtract or multiply by half?

for the other direction, +numbers,
    Which is the best way to correct them?
    (redundant question! I know. just trying to fully understand)

over 10 ... use multi % ... under use multi 1/2 %.. same for negitive and positive trims or afr error's

Advanced Tuner
    Thank YOU!!!

Advanced Tuner
    This may be helpful For an idea of what the ranges are.

MAF Value in Hz Range
    1000-1999 Idle
    2000-2999 Idle
    3000-3999 Idle
    4000-4999 Cruise
    5000-5999 Cruise
    6000-6999 Cruise
    7000-7999 Cruise
    8000-8999 Cruise
    9000-9999 WOT
    10000-10999 WOT
    11000-11500 WOT
    Why did we stop here? MAX Max in V6

This may be helpful For an idea of what the ranges are.

MAF Value in Hz Range
    1000-1999 Idle

2000-2999 Idle
    3000-3999 Idle
    4000-4999 Cruise
    5000-5999 Cruise
    6000-6999 Cruise
    7000-7999 Cruise
    8000-8999 Cruise
    9000-9999 WOT
    10000-10999 WOT
    11000-11500 WOT

Why did we stop here? MAX Max in V6

yes and no.. example.. I'm idling at 2232Hz at a stop light.. If I go WOT I will not jump from 2232Hz strieght to 9000Hz or higher.. Heck mine may peter out at 3000Hz.. LOL

Tuner
    oakleafresin: Ideally you should put some custom filters into that histogram of yours. You should filter out decel and as well any AFR below 14.6 AFR. If not its going to make things harder for you. I made this mistake in the past and i was wondering why I was getting spikes.. doesn't do it now

Guys: I am going to make a post on now to tune the MAF for Idle/Cruise and as well as WOT. I have made two custom histograms that work great with the GM V6 3800 cars and honestly seems to be the best method.
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GeforceXtreme View Post
    oakleafresin: Ideally you should put some custom filters into that histogram of yours. You should filter out decel and as well any AFR below 14.6 AFR. If not its going to make things harder for you. I made this mistake in the past and i was wondering why I was getting spikes.. doesn't do it now

Guys: I am going to make a post on now to tune the MAF for Idle/Cruise and as well as WOT. I have made two custom histograms that work great with the GM V6 3800 cars and honestly seems to be the best method.
    OH dude!!

Advanced Tuner
    I hope it's a step by step.
    For those of us (me) that are completely stupid on this.

It kind of amazes me, we pay alot of money for this program and there is no step by steps. I feel there are gaps or then again.......it could be me.
    And the school/class is up there too.
    For the enthusiast its a lot of money.

Tuner
    I hope it's a step by step.
    For those of us (me) that are completely stupid on this.

It kind of amazes me, we pay alot of money for this program and there is no step by steps. I feel there are gaps or then again.......it could be me.
    And the school/class is up there too.
    For the enthusiast its a lot of money.
    I will try to make it as step by step as I can. I just wish I didn't work as much these days where I could spend the time to throw a decent guide together. I will try my best to make one up as soon as I find alittle time to do so.

GeoJB if you have aim or FB, send me your account info and you are more then welcome to chat with me about tuning for the time being.
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.