Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: totally lost on maf tuning

Tuner
    What about the sticky under tuning guides for Russel K OL Maf Tuning. I was going to try this once I got my WB

Ken

Yeah Geforce, it sort of came with an unspoken disclaimer lol. I usually filter out the values myself in the final scan but I guess it would be confusing for people just starting to tune. BUT, I have a better solution to this problem.

Everyone: Before you maf tune, you should do this:

This is RISKY, you're going to be going into boost without PE so be very careful with the gas pedal!

This will cause you to be in "PE/WOT" all the time BUT only commanding 14.7:1, so you shouldn't go too far into the gas pedal. 14.7:1 is way to lean for max boost and you will knock. So when you start to see knock, you know that's the limit to how far you can push the pedal down, therefore, that's as far into the MAF that you can tune with a narrowband.

This keeps the AFR at 14.7:1, which is where your narrowband is accurate. Closed loop by its nature, occilates from 14:1 - 15:1 ish, so this stops that while you're tuning.

Put the settings back to stock when you're done.

Advanced Tuner
    Guys: I am going to make a post on now to tune the MAF for Idle/Cruise and as well as WOT. I have made two custom histograms that work great with the GM V6 3800 cars and honestly seems to be the best method.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Yeh I've just started learning MAF as my tuning for 1 1/2 years now has been pretty on/off the mark so I figured my MAF must be my issue.

I haven't run a straight histogram yet MAF vs STFT + LTFT etc..... I've just created a bit of a triangle scale on the maf............ I've found the MAF helps alot for solving knock by reporting more air then is actually there as well as just getting it right.

While this technically removes a bit of power, it's better not to knock vs knock so.....

But yeh.... I think MAF tuning is a must for starting out tuning any car now.... I'll be running up my MAF histogram properly soon.........

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oakleafresin View Post
    Closed loop by its nature, occilates from 14:1 - 15:1 ish, so this stops that while you're tuning.
    If your commanded afr is oscilating while in closed loop you have issues and this will not fix it.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Closed loop does oscillate but it doesn't change commanded AFR to achieve it, in the end, you see the average between the two extremes (14.7:1)