Thread: Security Disable on a 98 Regal GS PCM

Question Security Disable on a 98 Regal GS PCM

I did an engine swap on my GF's 95 Cuttlass Supreme, the engine and trans are out of a 97GTP. The Engine harness is from a 98 Lumina 3.8N/A. Since I didn't want to re-pin a bunch of the PCM connectors to work with the 97PCM, I wanted to use a S/C 98-03PCM. I found one from a 98 Regal GS, however I came to find the Regal looks for a security signal from the BCM to activate the Injectors.

So, long story short, is there any way to disable the security on this PCM? Or fool it to believe there's a working BCM getting the proper security signals from the ignition switch?

The PCM it's running on right now is from a 99 Bonneville 3.8N/A. (Bonne's didn't have the BCM security stuff I suppose?)

Thanks in advance for any insight!!!
    -Tim

2001 Impala LS: 3.8L Top Swapped with GenV Blower, ZZP XP Cam, and with nearly 250,000 miles.
    1995 Cutlass Supreme Convertible: Engine swap to 3.8L Supercharged.

Try disabling all the trouble codes related to the anti theft.
    Regards,

Brian Turner

Dyno Tune Motorsports
    Dyno Tuning and Remote Tuning For Ford - GM - Chrysler Vehicles

Click Here For Dyno Tune Motorsports

1988 Ford Mustang GT INCON Systems TT
    331 Cubic Inches - Corn - 808 RWHP 918 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Chassis Dyno View Post
    Try disabling all the trouble codes related to the anti theft.
    I would, but I don't want to waste 2 credits on the PCM if it won't get me anywhere... If only HPT offered "trial" credits! Haha

If I had the unlimited group unlocked, I'd have already given it a shot. I'm just trying to save myself. I won't be licensing the Regal PCM until I get a 100% solid answer. (Or if someone has unlimited 98 Regal GS licensing that would like to come give it a shot )

2001 Impala LS: 3.8L Top Swapped with GenV Blower, ZZP XP Cam, and with nearly 250,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    I would, but I don't want to waste 2 credits on the PCM if it won't get me anywhere... If only HPT offered "trial" credits! Haha

If I had the unlimited group unlocked, I'd have already given it a shot. I'm just trying to save myself. I won't be licensing the Regal PCM until I get a 100% solid answer. (Or if someone has unlimited 98 Regal GS licensing that would like to come give it a shot )
    Sounds like you need to get a GTP pcm if you do not want to take any chances.
    Regards,

Brian Turner

Dyno Tune Motorsports
    Dyno Tuning and Remote Tuning For Ford - GM - Chrysler Vehicles

Click Here For Dyno Tune Motorsports

1988 Ford Mustang GT INCON Systems TT
    331 Cubic Inches - Corn - 808 RWHP 918 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Chassis Dyno View Post
    Sounds like you need to get a GTP pcm if you do not want to take any chances.
    That's what I was hoping to find. But whenever I go to any junk yards, they ask me...

J/Y:What's it going in?
    Me:It doesn't matter.
    J/Y:Yes it does, you can't just throw PCMs into cars they're not made for. What's the service no.?
    Me:I don't have a service no. yes I can throw it into whatever car I want.
    J/Y: You have to have matching service no.'s or it won't run.
    Me: Fine, it's going into a 95 cutlass. I need a GTP PCM.
    J/Y: No, you need a 95 cutlass PCM.
    Me:

My favorite yard has no 98-03 GTP PCM's, so we went searching.
    Down the road said they had one, we hand them the $42, they hand us a PCM with a VIN from a 99 Camaro with a 3.8l

I go back to complain, and say IT HAS TO BE FROM A GTP, 98-03.
    They proceed to look at me weird and ask for the service no. I keep saying I have no PCM to go off of. They ask for the VIN. I get on google on my phone and find a vin from a wrecked 99GTP. They come out with a PCM from a 98 Venture van.

At this point, I'm looking to just get out of the place. I say IT HAS TO BE FROM A 3800 SUPERCHARGED GRAND PRIX.
    J/Y:We didn't have any of those in the back... Here's one from a Bonneville.
    I look at the VIN, its a K engine code. I just look at them weird and end up taking it with me because "NO REFUNDS".

I'm oh so sick of PCM hunting in junk yards...

They're all so cocky and negative! I know they want to help, but really...

Anyways... I guess I'll just call around tomorrow...

Any ideas on how to get around the "whats the service no." questions?
    Or, "what year is the car it's going in?" (They all get on their soap box when I say any GTP from 98-03 will work fine.)

//end rant.

-Tim

Advanced Tuner
    set vats to 0 and turn off the vats dtc(no error report) and it will run without a bcm, done several here for demo cars and 4/6cly race cars
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Advanced Tuner
    I part out some regals & gtp's -I have a couple 99pcm's $40 ea. shippedif it helps
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post

//end rant.

-Tim

lol

// My First Rant in C++
    #include <MyRanting>
    using namespace std;
    int main ()
    {
    cout << "Ranting! ";
    cout << "I'm Ranting"; return 0;
    }

We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    lol

// My First Rant in C++
    #include <MyRanting>
    using namespace std;
    int main ()
    {
    cout << "Ranting! ";
    cout << "I'm Ranting"; return 0;
    }

Haha, funny you should mention that! I just wrote a C++ program a hour ago! I haven't even touched (or thought of) it since May!
    It was to automagically add the 13,987 miles onto my displayed mileage. (I had a ImpSS cluster in for 13,987 miles, then a few gauges went dead.)

Anyway!
    You may be getting a PM later on this Friday on one of the GTP PCM's Mr.Murphinator. What years do you have up for grabs?

I assume you the a GTP unlocked if so get the tune and try a fullwrite to the VCM and try it. You might have to place the VCM in a different car to do it or disconnect the BCM or use an off board connection to burn it. Look into tuning monte carlos I know they have some problems with writing a tune to the VCM if the BCM is connected.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I assume you the a GTP unlocked if so get the tune and try a fullwrite to the VCM and try it. You might have to place the VCM in a different car to do it or disconnect the BCM or use an off board connection to burn it. Look into tuning monte carlos I know they have some problems with writing a tune to the VCM if the BCM is connected.
    To do that wouldn't the Service No.'s have to be the same? The PCM of the GTP (well the one I have) is a 1997, I know there were some major differences from 98+ on the GM PCM's. Would it still be able to write it to a 98 PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
    set vats to 0 and turn off the vats dtc(no error report) and it will run without a bcm, done several here for demo cars and 4/6cly race cars
    Where can VATS be set to zero? On my 99, I can only change VATS to Serial or PWM. Currently it's Serial, changing to PWM (which is how my year's PCM communicates w/ the fuel system) disables the system so it won't start. On Serial, no problems.

I have already set the following to no SES and 3-No Reporting Error:

P1626, P1629, P1630, P1631 and I still have the blasted security light.
    99 Dark Metallic Bronzemist SSEi, 187K, S3, P&P GenV, 3.4MPS, N*TB & LQ4, SLP Headers, Cat & EGR Delete, Hockey puck TA mount, Solid Trans/Motor mount, KYB fronts, MSD Wires&Coils, TRE-340, Thrasher CAI w/ 9" K&N, C-Ya Shift Kit, Hayden Trans cooler.

Advanced Tuner
    security light is controled by the bcm not the ecm,, you turn off the vats in the ecm so it doesnt need the bcm to run,, it has nothing to do with the security light
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear