Thread: Anyone know how to make my fuel gauge read more accurate?

Tuner in Training

Anyone know how to make my fuel gauge read more accurate?

Truck is a 2007.5 NBS Silverado. The low fuel light on these trucks come on with about 5-7 gallons still in the tank. I would like to adjust it so that the light comes on with about 2-3 left in the tank. Anyone know what I need to change? Thanks.

Have you ever seen what 5-7 gallons looks like in the bottom of your tank? Unless you are planning to sump your tank to keep the pump below the bottom of the tank, I suggest that you let the "low fuel" light remain the annoyance that it is intended to be.
    2000 GMC 2500 2-bar SD
    Stock LM7, LTs, TBSS intake manifold

Tuner in Training
    Many people on the Diesel forums use EFI Live and they say that they have done it. I'm just interested in how to do it.

It is possible but you would have to request to have the table for fuel level sender V. vs percent to be found and added.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

I used Tiny Tuners in conjunction with HPT.

I can't say what tables your PCM file will have available but, my PCM file had a table for Fuel Level. You can set what percentage tank full/empty according to the voltage sent from the sensor.

I had to adjust mine a little up top. My gauge was pegging 100% for the first 3-5 gallons. (Had a new fuel tank installed)

Just increase the voltage needed (in the table) down low.

To use TT, google it to get a DL. Either find or pull the *.bin file from your PCM. Edit the bin in TT and then save, open in HPT and flash.
    Last edited by TGP-37; 11-27-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    It is possible but you would have to request to have the table for fuel level sender V. vs percent to be found and added.
    I suppose 0.1V could be added to the Fuel Gauge Sender wire.

Using a 5v or 1v line splice and tap the wire, place a resistor in between to maintain 0.1-0.2v added.

Then his Fuel Level signal will always be that much higher. Could also install a switch somewhere hidden to return to stock signal.

Some OS's have a table for the Fuel Level Calibration...

you could completely drain the tank... fill it up at precise measured inetervals and rebuild the fuel table so that the gauge is more accurate...
    at that point, once you know the real calibration data from Empty to Full, you can set it to read anyway you want...
    as far as when the light comes on... find out for certain when you do the real calibration and find out what voltage that it represents...
    you probably cannot change when the light actually comes on, but you can skew your gauge readings so that it matches what should be a real known value that you want it to be....
    meaning maybe it comes on at 5gallons, and you move the table over so that 0 is higher and now it comes on at 3 gallons
    -Scott -

Just a note Tinytuner only supports 3800 pcms and a few 3100s as the software was a supplement for a tuning program that only was created for the 3800 line of engines since there was no tuning support at the time.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder