Thread: LS7 Speed sensor troubles

Potential Tuner

LS7 Speed sensor troubles

Guys,

I've got a problem with my Speed Sensor wiring. I'm reading 2.5 VDC off the harness and that doesn't seem to be enough voltage to trigger my aftermarket speed sensor. Does anyone know what voltage should be coming off the harness?

Thanks, Chris

LS7 Crate motor
    LS7 after market harness
    2007 Ultima GTR Kit Car, LS7 crate motor, G50/52 transaxle

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima GTR View Post
    Guys,

I've got a problem with my Speed Sensor wiring. I'm reading 2.5 VDC off the harness and that doesn't seem to be enough voltage to trigger my aftermarket speed sensor. Does anyone know what voltage should be coming off the harness?

Thanks, Chris

LS7 Crate motor
    LS7 after market harness
    The ECM VSS line sits at around 2.5V. The VSS sensor output should modulate this toward +/- 2.5V.

Potential Tuner

Thanks!

I've been up and down the net looking for a simple wiring diagram of a typical GM VSS. Any chance you can describe the hookup to a typical photo sensor?

The speed sensor I'm using for my AIM Data logger has three wires. BRN (12vdc source), Blue (ground), and the Black (trigger wire). I'd like to use another one of these for teh VSS, any idea if this sensor could work for the LS ECU?

Thanks, Chris

Advanced Tuner
    This might help...
    ('09 'Vette)
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 11-27-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima GTR View Post
    I've been up and down the net looking for a simple wiring diagram of a typical GM VSS. Any chance you can describe the hookup to a typical photo sensor?

The speed sensor I'm using for my AIM Data logger has three wires. BRN (12vdc source), Blue (ground), and the Black (trigger wire). I'd like to use another one of these for teh VSS, any idea if this sensor could work for the LS ECU?

Thanks, Chris
    Per GMTechs diags: 72 is the ground side, 71 the signal side of the VSS. Your trigger needs to go to 71, ground to ground on 72, 12V to 12V somewhere. The GM VSS is hall effect so generates its own voltage/current to swing the voltage on pin 71.

There is a good chance the VSS will work if you are producing a rough square wave from your setup that runs 2.5V +/- 2.5V max.

Potential Tuner

Problem Solved!

Thanks Guys. I pulled a VSS out of an old GM transmission that a buddy had and was able to get a MPH reading off my OBDII reader.

Chris