Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Injector Timing? Reference Periods? refereencing what?

Advanced Tuner
    Based on the spreadsheet I posted above, I played with the boundary and normal values until I thought they were pretty good on paper.

Boundary = 7.85
    Normal = 6.49

This got me EOIT of 506 deg. I chose this as a compromise between WOT and cruise performance. What I found is that it ran great at idle and below about 3K part throttle. Best its run with the 0411 PCM.

BUT there were two issues:

1. My BLM split went crazy. Not sure why but with no mechanical changes, I went from having very little to having +25 / -14 at idle.

2. At higher RPM (above 3500 rpm) heavy part throttle (say 30-40%), I would get backfiring which implies to me that the SOIT was overlaping the exh valve enough to let fuel out.

WOT seemed good, but without some dyno numbers its going to be hard to say. I'll have to get some dyno time....

I may also play with shifting the EOIT a little later, maybe 520 deg and see what happens.

HTH,
    Jason
    1996 Camaro SS M6 - 24X conversion - stock bottom end - heads - shorty headers - 58mm TB
    Ultradyne 230/238 .565/.565 112+4 - 30 LB red top SVO injectors - LOTS of suspension...

2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax M6 - Just starting the tune on a stock motor now that I have a good clutch on order...

Advanced Tuner
    While I haven't thought it over that much, what's bugged me is the Boundary. Why even have it? But as I think of it now, I have some ideas. First, the signal which stroke the engine is on comes from the cam sensor. Once the engine knows whether #1 is on compression or exhaust, the crank sensor can now tell us piston position. In other words, the crank sensor tells us where a piston is, but not what stroke it's on. Not that it's that relative, just pointing this out for others.

Next, we will need to read piston position before the piston is actually in that position. Otherwise, the data is not crunched by the computer in time. So to see it pop up 64 degrees before TDC doesn't surprise me at all.

I wasn't sure why Bluecat was calling it -784 and not just -64 though. But perhaps he is just noting that the computer is looking one full cycle plus 64 degrees ahead of time, not just 64 degrees ahead of time. Perhaps GM thought it necessary to be that far ahead of time, because it takes that long to crunch the data. Not sure.

And then Boundary. What is that? The name implies it's some sort of limitation, or fence. Don't go past this boundary. Ok. If the above post is right, adn stock boundary is 7.85, that's 7.85 x 90 = 706.5 degrees. In a 720 degree rotation, that would be just 13.5 degrees before TDC compression. If we were to build in the -784 number into this, it would be -784 + 706.5 = -77.5 degrees. Hmmm.

720 (the 0 point) - 77.5 degrees = 642.5. The piston would be coming up on the compression stroke (which starts at 540), and that would make it 102.5 degrees after BDC, and 77.5 degrees before TDC. I'm not sure what the intake valve closing point is, but it's somewhere in the bottom half of the compression stroke, between 540 and 630. Probably closer to 540 than 630 though. My guess would be maybe around 576? So is GM setting the boundary as a way of saying don't open the injector before a certain point? And of course, we're using this as EOIT not SOIT, so that might make even more sense, since there would be some number of degrees of injector on time added to the EOIT. So that's my best guess about Boundary.... it defines when the intake valve closes, it defines how many degrees before TDC the crank sensor shows us the piston position (offsets that sensor delay for us), and it defines one additional engine cycle before the piston position actually gets used for injector timing.

You know, the crank sensor's main job is determine when to fire the coils. With sequential injection, firing the injectors is an added job, and a less important one. While spark may need to happen exactly at the right time on this stroke, being one revolution ahead on sensing injector timing may be just fine. Not much fuel-related is going to change in one engine revolution. FYI, the crank sensor's third job is to provide piston position to the misfire monitor for misfire diagnostics.

With intake valve closing and crank sensor offset both accounted for in the boundary number, that leaves the Normal number to actually define the 0 to 720 degree cycle without any numerical weirdness. However, it also means we must adjust both numbers to be correct. The boundary number would be (the number of degrees the intake valve is open for past BDC longer than the stock cam was open for) * 90. With the new boundary number in place, we could then shift our focus onto setting up the Normal number using the formula [-784 + (Boundary+Normal)*90].

Jason, I do believe you are exactly right about why GM advanced the injection timing when cold. To get more heat time on the intake valve. If this is true, so must be the opposite. In a hot intake valve, they must not want to start injection too early. But for fear of what? That the fuel will vaporize earlier? What harm could come with that? I'm guessing that having heavy wet fuel laying on the intake valve doesn't pose much risk, but having vaporized lightweight gases floating in the intake port might put the vapor at risk of being sucked out of the intake runner by some other runner that's in a lower pressure (that piston generating more vacuum at the moment). Seems legit. This valve would still be closed, so there wouldn't be any suction pulling vapors towards the valve. Other valves would be open, drawing air and fuel vapors into them. If I have that wrong, then I am clueless about why they would delay the injection on a warmed up engine.

If both numbers are added together, then adding to either one would work. However, having the wrong boundary could cause there to be a time when a long pulsewidth could cause the injector to start too early, compared to the intake valve closing event. So it would be better to get it right, and calibrate both numbers individually.

So I think I have the whole thing worked out. I have no idea who or how many people are following this topic as we beat it to death, but I would like to hear from some other knowledgeable guys if they think I'm on track here, or they have anything to add or differ with me on. I hope my posts don't sound like I'm trying to spout this as fact. I'm learning as I go here, and could be completely wrong.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pontisteve View Post
    If both numbers are added together, then adding to either one would work. However, having the wrong boundary could cause there to be a time when a long pulsewidth could cause the injector to start too early, compared to the intake valve closing event. So it would be better to get it right, and calibrate both numbers individually.
    Hey Steve,

Look at the raw data that Bluecat generated here:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...797#post238797

Look at his spreadsheet in the first post. It shows a bunch of Boundary and Normal values he used and what EOIT they generated. After looking at this to me there is little doubt that the equation he developed is correct.

I think that the normal table is there to allow for adjustment vs ECT and the boundary table is a global value that allows everything to be shifted independent of ECT.

So for example lets think about GM putting a much different cam in that they would want to globally shift EOIT. They would just change the boundary value and not the normal table.

I know I'm completely guessing, but I think there is little doubt that the values are added once you look at Bluecat's spreadsheet.

Thanks,
    Jason
    1996 Camaro SS M6 - 24X conversion - stock bottom end - heads - shorty headers - 58mm TB
    Ultradyne 230/238 .565/.565 112+4 - 30 LB red top SVO injectors - LOTS of suspension...

2002 GMC 2500 HD Duramax M6 - Just starting the tune on a stock motor now that I have a good clutch on order...

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the detailed write up. I do have a solid handle on valve events and their effects. Where I went wrong is my using the intake stroke as my start cycle and not the power stroke. The numbers below should look a little better.

-------.200 ---- .050 --- .006
    EVC - 337.5 – 380 ---- 406
    IVC – 560.5 – 598.5 – 623.5
    EVO – 148.5 – 106 --- 80
    IVO – 377.5 – 339.5 – 314.5

Now we should be on the same page regarding valve timing in crank degrees (or at least I hope we are..).

With that, I would think a good starting point for EOIT for my set up would be 560.5* as a low rpm setting and 598.5* as a high rpm setting. Again my thought is due to intake air charge, dwell time at BDC and the airflow being dynamic under changing RPM. I just don’t see the fresh charge being pushed out of the intake valve at idle with with EOIT set at 560.5.

If boundary = a max limit as IDC increases, than it would make sense to set it at 5.94.
    And if Normal = a base to work off of during idle 5.52 should be ok.

Interestingly enough, I just looked at my current settings. 5.55 normal >154* ECT and 6.50 boundary. Even with 41* overlap, my truck does not smell of raw E85 once warmed up. But cold, it will burn your eyeballs out
    2.55 <68 = 293.5*
    3.55@90 = 383.5*
    4.55@111 and 133 = 473.5*.
    I do notice the truck is also rather lean until warm and gets in to stoich once past 155* ECT. Raw E85 going out the exhaust valve once the intake opens.

It makes perfect sense now. I think I am going to try and increase normal numbers and probably decrease the boundary next time I am on the dyno.

Advanced Tuner
    Super73, we have largely been using the .006 valve timing events, ignoring the others because they represent a lift point where the valve is not yet closed. Like I said, there could be an argument for not trying to flow much fuel in as the valve is practically shutting. However, you could also make the argument that if the air can make it thru the small valve opening, the fuel can too. So for now, we use the .006 valve events in our discussion.

That cam you are using is rather huge. It shows your intake duration to be 309/326 or 259/274 @ .050, which puts the cam at a 113 LSA, 4 degrees advanced to 109. There is 91.5 degrees of overlap, which is pretty huge. If I did this right, your cam card would read IO 45.5 BTDC, IC 83.5 ABDC, EO 100 BBDC, EC 46 ATDC. What is this, a high RPM nitrous cam? With 91.5 degrees of overlap, this thing ain't never gonna idle real well.

I think I agree with you about 560 for your cam for Idle and low RPM EOIT. That would get you through to probably 2700 RPM before injection starts to overlap with the exhaust valve being open, and by then the cam should be clearing up. At a higher RPM, you could go further than that. Your intake valve doesn't close until 623.5, so perhaps 610 or so at the latest, and 480 at the earliest.

Don't focus too much on a lean wideband. Your cam is so big that the overlap dumping out unburned oxygen at idle probably fools the O2 into reading lean. It's a byproduct of too much overlap. You can add fuel, and it probably still won't be happy. In this case, you might try backing off any cold start enrichment that you've excessively added, and see if you can get the truck to run just as good without the additional cold fuel. This is especially true if we fix injector delay for the better.

A sign that injector delay has been improved might be that the engine gets richer, despite having done nothing in the tune to AFR. The more we can get a cylinder to burn fuel properly, the less fuel it will need, and the more excess fuel will show up as a rich condition on the wideband.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, 259/274 109/113.. It is a 13-1cr 418 with PRC 237 heads and has a 2 stage kit which has yet to really be used.

It actually idles and drives pretty darned good now. It does not hunt for idle, doesn't surge (I am sure the 4,600rpm verter helps). It genuinely runs pretty good, but the cubes are soaking up much of that cam.

The WB's reach stoich once warm with no smell of raw E85. However they show lean on initial fire up for quite a while at idle and then taper off to stoich once in the 150* ECT range. But that makes perfect sense to me with the current EOIT settings.

2.55 <68* ECT = 293.5*
    3.55@90* ECT = 383.5*
    4.55@111*/133* ECT = 473.5*
    5.55 normal >154* ECT = 563.5*

Due to the averaging the PCM does, with my current settings I would assume the injector EOIT is right at my .006 IVC at 95-96* ECT. This means Injector is still spraying during overlap. Here is my averaging math:
    111* ECT - 90* ECT = 21*
    473.5* EOIT - 384* EOIT = 90*
    90* EOIT / 21* ECT = 4.285714
    So every 1* ECT = 4.285714 EOIT shift during those cells.

95* ECT = 404.9* Crank rotation
    96* ECT = 309.2 Crank Rotation

I have not looked at BOIT yet to see where it would avoid overlap all together, but by the smell and what my WB's tell me once warmed past the 150* ECT mark, I am assuming 4.55 (current 111* and 133* ECT) is still too low and I am just putting E85 out the exhaust port.

So my two goals with IT all together:
    1) Time low speed to avoid overlap, this one is easy to figure out.
    2) Time High speed to have an EOIT so it end as late as possible to get as much clean fresh fuel in not leaving it in the intake port.

The second is more difficult because nothing is telling us exactly how the air is moving/changing for cyl fill at .200 vs .050 vs .006.
    At high RPM, I know plenty of air is still filling the cyl at .200, but how much is still making it's way in at say .022, halfway between .050 and .006?
    How much time does it take the fuel to move from the injector past the valve at say 5400-7400 rpm?
    I think most cam companies that I have dealt with use .050 duration for design for a reason. I feel pretty confident in saying there is going to be little to no additional cyl fill as the valve is closing .050 to .006. Now if we were discussing the exhaust valve, I would say a lot happens between opening .006 and .050.

For these reasons, I think using IVC of .006 for EOIT is leaving fuel in the intake port at high RPM. Now, is it hurting anything? Probably not.

Advanced Tuner
    A thought just occurred to me though.. If I am focusing on 2) of my last post, I forgot to think backwards at what BOIT is looking like. If at RPM I have 85% IDC (which is about where I am) there is fuel building up in the intake port regardless of if I put EOIT at .050 or .006. I guess the only difference would be atomization of this fuel. But at 5,400-7,400rpm things are moving so fast, there probably is no pooling anyway.

If I am right, at 85% IDC and a EOIT of 598.5* my BOIT would be around -13.5* in to the first cycle, IE 13.5* BTDC of the power stroke.

To this point I see why so many others have said there is little power to gain in the higher RPM's when adjusting EOIT provided a proper injector is in place.
    Last edited by Super73; 04-24-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Super73,

1. With a cam as large as yours I would stop looking at "shift" and start looking at actual cam events.

2. The stock strategy of smaller numbers in the normal table for colder ECT is bad for a cam with overlap like yours. Have a look at the spreadsheet below and you can fill in your idle rpm and pw to figure out what the normal table should look like to keep from spraying fuel during overlap.

3. Unfortunately with the gen 3 pcm, there is no table for inj timing that has rpm in it. So we're stuck trying to compromise between WOT and idle/cruise.

JRS SOIT EOIT Worksheet 041715.xls

Warmup-idle.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Jason,

I appreciate the time and energy you put in to your spreadsheet. At the end of the day though, by setting normal to 5.55 (563.5*) I will not have BOIT(SOIT) during overlap during idle, very easy math for a single reference point such as idle. Now as RPM/MAP/IDC increases, yes there will be a point in which SOIT will indeed be crossing over to the overlap area of the cam.

One thing I don't think I have seen an answer too though.

How is EOIT normal vs boundary weighted? If normal is the base starting point for EOIT, and boundary is the max EOIT, when IDC increases:
    Does it increase equally to both sides of normal EOIT until it hits boundary, then weighted towards SOIT?
    Does it increase to the boundary side first until it hits boundary then weighted towards SOIT?

Perhaps I am also using BOIT wrong. I assumed it means Beginning Of Injector Timing. I am also assuming SOIT is Start Of Injector Timing. Same thing, but maybe BOIT is something else and I am confusing people. Or is BOIT Boundary Of Injector Timing?
    Last edited by Super73; 04-24-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Super,

I use SOIT to avoid possible confusion with Boundary. Hope its not also confusing....

Thanks. It also graphically displays SOIT vs the cam events based on user input for pw vs rpm. This helps me see where things are occurring since SOIT varies with inj pw.

Cruise inj.jpg

I also use it to see where the SOIT is at WOT in relation to the intake valve closing on the previous cycle:

WOT inj.jpg

From everything I've seen, Boundary and Normal are added together. I think that the normal table is there to allow for adjustment vs ECT and the boundary table is a global value that allows everything to be shifted independent of ECT.

I think the nomenclature is just confusing. There appears to be no weighting at least from the values that Bluecat found experimentally by varying both boundary and normal values. There's a link in the above post if you want to see them.

HTH,
    Jason
    Last edited by JasonS5555; 04-24-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I guess I am not following the"added together" party of normal and boundary. Perhaps I need to go back through this thread and bluecat's findings to understand that.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, the equation is

EOIT = [-784 + (Boundary + Normal)*90]

Reference periods are NOT 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by pontisteve View Post
    I've been steering clear of other people's spreadsheets, because I'm not sure of my own thoughts on the subject, let alone other people's understanding of it. I should probably make a spreadsheet of my own. It would be very handy for seeing the curve through the RPM range, I'm sure.

I have also revised my thinking on this since I first commented on this subject in this thread. My original understanding (and that of practically all of us) was that raw gas was being wasted out the exhaust valve during overlap. After discussing the Pentacorn theory with Paul, I've come away with a different outlook. I now share his opinion that at idle, the combustion chamber and exhaust system are under higher pressure, while the intake manifold is under a vacuum. This leads me to believe the last little bit of the exhaust stroke is actually pushing inert exhaust gases up the intake valve, diluting the intake charge. This is a problem too, of course, but a different problem than what we thought. And it probably has about the same solution.

If we are able to delay idle and part throttle injection start points until after the exhaust valve closes, we may be injecting it into an open intake valve, but the fuel is still hitting the hot valve on it's way in. Reversion from the cam is still happening, and inert gases are still being pumped into the intake manifold, diluting the air charge. But at least the fuel is not part of that mess. We can delay the fuel injection until after that. By doing so, we take the fuel issue away, and are only left with the other fuel issue... the air charge being diluted. Just like when we use EGR, we need less incoming fuel because we are now pumping less (diluted) incoming air. In the end, we just let more fresh air in by increasing idle airflow (and fuel flow matches that increase).

One sign of this theory of mine being right would be the amount of fuel and deposits on the back side of the throttle plate. If there is fuel in the reversion, it will get scattered all over the intake manifold, but will tend to collect as deposits on the throttle plate. Or at least moisture instantaneously. If we fix the fuel problem by delaying injection time, then clean the throttle body good, perhaps we won't see any more fuel on the back side of the throttle plate, indicating we're making progress.

The other thing is, as we waste less fuel, we may find that the same amount of fuel now creates a rich condition. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised to see idle fueling/VE be reduced slightly as we fix the overfueling issue with injection delay.

I'm troubled by the -784 thing. There's only 720 degrees of duration in a cycle, so I'm not sure what the -784 number is supposed to represent. If it was -64, I would understand it a bit better, and that's how I have been treating it. We know that the cam sensors job is to tell the PCM what stroke the engine is on, compression or exhaust. This is used to start the firing order or injector firing order off on the right set of cylinders, for example 1843 or 6572 (SBC firing order example). But it's the crank sensor that tells us from there, exactly where we are in engine rotation, and which cylinder is up to bat next. Both the cam and crank sensor need to be advanced a bit, meaning that we need to read the position before the engine actually gets there. So there's gonna be a delay between when the sensor sees it's mark (say TDC compression on the cam sensor, for example) and when we actually hit TDC compression. The sensor must read it first, so there is enough time for the PCM to react to this piece of data.

When somebody figured out -784, that might be very handy. However, was it the cam sensor or the crank sensor? And was that sensor "advanced read" position already factored by the computer, or do we need to manually factor it in our injector delay timing? Let's say the sensor reads 60 degrees before TDC, for example. Does the PCM know that, and add 60 degrees for us, so our tables make sense? Or did GM tell the calibrators the amount of sensor delay, so they could build that into the tune? I don't know. And I don't think anybody else knows either. To truly know, we would need the engine on an engine stand with a perfectly installed degree wheel that's large (18"). We would need to measure where these sensors hit their marks. Then, we would need to read the stock tune settings for injector delay. Then we would need to see this same engine run in a car, with a really good digital storage oscilloscope (like my Picoscope) show us the injector on times on one channel, while we simultaneously log cylinder pressure of that same cylinder on another channel.

I also have an in-cylinder pressure transducer for my scope, that can do just that actually. We can find the two TDC compression points of an engine revolution or two, mark the exact center of the two TDC points, then mark the number of degrees between those points as 720 degrees. Now that we have our engine rotation degree marked, the next step is to overlay the injection timing events, and see where the PCM is actually turning the injector to that cylinder on and off. With all this madness, we would finally be able to watch a stock car do it's thing, compare that to the tune data, and know what all this means FOR SURE.

If you would like to read a bit more about Inertia Supercharging, I wrote an article on it a while back on my Drag Radial Performance facebook page. Here's a link:

https://www.facebook.com/DragRadialP...510359875510:0

There's a bunch of other articles in there for tuner type guys as well. They're often centered around fox bodies, but tuning is tuning. All engines work the same. The software is just different.
    You are right to be skeptical.. the data presented on these spreadsheets is wrong...

Advanced Tuner
    What are you basing that statement on? I'm certainly interested in any/all data on the subject, as I think we all are.

But the above equation does fit all the experimental data gathered by Bluecat....

Jason
    Last edited by JasonS5555; 04-25-2015 at 10:48 AM.

I have the data figured out... tried to send a PM to bluecat but his inbox is full...

But the data is wrong...
    Calculation is wrong
    Makes no sense the calculated spreadsheets

and if i am not right... why has this discussion gone on so long?
    Last edited by yellz06; 04-25-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Would you mind sharing what you've figured out?

Thanks,
    Jason

Not yet till i have confirmation... preliminary tests show i am right... but the main problem is that the low resulution is not 90 degrees.

Advanced Tuner
    How are you testing? I've thought about how I could test this, but haven't come up with anything useful.

Thanks,
    Jason

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by yellz06 View Post
    Reference periods are NOT 90 degrees.
    Yellz06, What makes you say that? This is a fundamental truth that this whole thread is based on, and something that Bluecat found through testing with a degree wheel, and some fancy electronics. Knowing he's a smart cat (pardon the pun), I don't think he would have got that wrong. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Super73, With the stock cam and no overlap, I assume that the early injection timing at cold ECT temps is to put fuel on the valve longer, in an attempt to vaporize it better. Retarding it as ECT warms up therefore must be to prevent too much vaporization from happening while the intake valve is still closed. That said, we aren't going to want to use this feature at all with large cams, because of our overlap. I would suggest making the Normal table all one number, so ECT does not advance the injection timing at all.

For low speeds, I think we want to begin injection just after the exhaust valve fully closes, somewhere around that 30 or so degrees after TDC (the EVC point).

For hi speed operation, I simply don't know. What I do know is that there is a window we have to work with. We cant start injecting fuel until after the intake valve has closed. And it is closing later than stock. And we can continue injecting fuel at a later point after TDC than stock, because our valve is being held open longer. So we have a window here. It starts with figuring out your injector duty cycle at WOT. If it's 85%, then 720 x .85 = 612 degrees. That's how long the injection is going to take place. So we now know that we must start injection after the IVC point, and that we are injecting for 612 degrees, and that we must end injection before IVC. There are 720 degrees to work with, so we have a EOIT window of 108 degrees to experiment within.

The good news is that we don't have to guess about WOT injection. We can dyno or track run the car and experiment with this EOIT setting every pass, until we see a power improvement, or "sweet spot". Dyno would be best here.

The bad news is that these older computers don't allow us to determine EOIT based on RPM or load, only on ECT. So we can't change one without changing the other, right?

So my best guess might be this: We set up the car for best idle. EOIT will likely be less than 560, but clearly a number bigger than EVC by some amount. See if we make any substantial gains here in idle quality or start seeing fuel trims showing the O2's are pulling fuel, indicating we are better burning all the fuel in the cylinder, and having some left over... a sign of progress.

Then we forget that, and dyno the car for best power, using the trial and error method through that window we have to work with. Once best injection timing for power is known, save that for a track tune. And if it happens to idle good, great. If it idles poorly, build a tune that focuses on putting EOIT closer to 540. It's unfortunate that the LS1 PCM doesn't give us a 3D table for EOIT.