Thread: "faking" a 1 bar tune from two bar?

Tuner in Training

"faking" a 1 bar tune from two bar?

Hey ya'll. I have a question. I have a 98 S10 with a 2.2L. I have done some tuning to the truck, via ignition timing, PE fuel, etc etc. I like the tune, but ik there is more I can do.. I plan on going to a larger throttle body in the near future, and maybe also make a custom tuned intake (i've done it before with great results on carb'd 2.3L ford rangers) and I've been looking thru the respiratory and I can not find a 1bar speed density tune for my truck! the one I have found (from researching on this board) is the cavi 2bar speed density S/C reflash tune. and I've seen you can "fake" a 2 bar tune from a 1 bar tune by using a two bar MAP sensor and "halfing" the VE tables. I eventually plan on going turbo, which means going 2 bar, but I was wondering, if I can "double" the VE settings to "fake" a one bar tune? so I can stay with my one bar sensor till I upgrade to 2 bar when I go turbo? idk if this is feasible.. I just really want to be able to have a better way of tuning than alpha n provides.. because, throttle position isnt everything...

Tuner in Training
    21 views and no relpies?

Yes you could. Would take some time to remap it all, but as long as you are not boosted I would stay with the alpha-n until you go boost.

Advanced Tuner
    Or you could just run the tune the way it is (modified for you) while running the 2 bar sensor. I mean you'll never hit over 1 bar, so those cells are basically worthless but its easier than rescaling the whole thing by hand.

Or you could just tune with the stock alpha-n which should be ok for you until you get boosted.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    Or you could just run the tune the way it is (modified for you) while running the 2 bar sensor. I mean you'll never hit over 1 bar, so those cells are basically worthless but its easier than rescaling the whole thing by hand.

Or you could just tune with the stock alpha-n which should be ok for you until you get boosted.
    I know Alpha-N would be ok till I got boosted, but its just the fact of, I want be able to do some simple mods to the truck (better exhaust, intake, etc etc) and Speed Density would just make more sense to me. I guess its just personal preference for the mere reason that Alpha-N can not take into account pressure changes in the intake manifold (aka LOAD, with the exception of ignition timing of course) and also.. I just want to see how the truck runs utilizing Speed Density you know kind of like one of those things "I know I can do it, so I'm going to try" kind of deals. I have a dyno day coming up this thursday evening, so I might try it out, and I'll post up my results on here.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds, good. I wish I had the option to run speed density.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!