Thread: Bad PCM and credits already purchased?

Potential Tuner

Bad PCM and credits already purchased?

So my question is, is there anyway to swap credits over to another PCM. I did a LY6 swap about a yr ago and the customer finally got around to getting the truck ready for startup. It was a long term project 62 Ford unibody. Credits were bought on a 411 PCM and a startup tune was made. Once we tried to fire it up only the #1 coil would fire, and all the injectors were working. I swapped it with another known good 411 PCM and it fired right up without any issues. Everything in the tune was double checked to make sure that wasn't the issue. So can this be done without having to buy credits all over again for another PCM to put in it?

Quote Originally Posted by dbrods View Post
    So my question is, is there anyway to swap credits over to another PCM. I did a LY6 swap about a yr ago and the customer finally got around to getting the truck ready for startup. It was a long term project 62 Ford unibody. Credits were bought on a 411 PCM and a startup tune was made. Once we tried to fire it up only the #1 coil would fire, and all the injectors were working. I swapped it with another known good 411 PCM and it fired right up without any issues. Everything in the tune was double checked to make sure that wasn't the issue. So can this be done without having to buy credits all over again for another PCM to put in it?
    Can't be done unless you work for HPtuners or own the company.

AFAIK that is.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

There is no way you can swap licenses from one PCM to another. It's part of the licensing system.

You have to check everything is fine before using your credits on any PCM.
    When you license a PCM, VCMsuite asks you twice if you are sure, because it can't be undone.

I know sometimes is not fair, but the licensing system would be vulnerable otherwise and many people would use the product without paying for it and the company out of bussiness very quickly.

Potential Tuner
    There is no way to check that everything is working properly in a PCM when a swap is being done.

It seems like if I was to mail two PCMs to Hptuners they could swap everything over and then destroy the bad PCM or do whatever with it. I understand the policy for people trying to get by the system. There are 300$ worth of credits down the drain on this deal if they are not willing to help. They can modify operating systems, why cant they change info to another PCM.

$300 worth of credits?

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by dbrods View Post
    I do this all the time.

#1 How do you think that Dual-Flash does it?
    #2 It isn't very hard to do.
    #3 you can find many companies to do it.

I would use a forum member named N0DIH to do it for you

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    I do this all the time.

#1 How do you think that Dual-Flash does it?
    #2 It isn't very hard to do.
    #3 you can find many companies to do it.

I would use a forum member named N0DIH to do it for you
    You don't have to go to those lengths, though (I mean, that works, but...). You just need someone with a cable that has that year/model and the year/model of the target controller both unlimited and do a full flash with his previous file.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Potential Tuner
    I am kind of in the same boat and am having the same issue. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Tuned this car the other day no problems, he added exhaust and brought it back for a retune. During the first flash it stopped halfway and said time out. After that the car would not start. Tried different things and it still wouldn't start. Took the computer to get a stock flash and they said the computer was done. I bought another computer $150, and did a re license for the new computer. Tried to flash the car same thing, stopped halfway through and said time out. Now I am out $200 for license stuff, and $150 for this computer that doesn't work now. Any suggestions would be great. Its a 01 ZO6 computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Turbos View Post
    I am kind of in the same boat and am having the same issue. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Tuned this car the other day no problems, he added exhaust and brought it back for a retune. During the first flash it stopped halfway and said time out. After that the car would not start. Tried different things and it still wouldn't start. Took the computer to get a stock flash and they said the computer was done. I bought another computer $150, and did a re license for the new computer. Tried to flash the car same thing, stopped halfway through and said time out. Now I am out $200 for license stuff, and $150 for this computer that doesn't work now. Any suggestions would be great. Its a 01 ZO6 computer.
    Email [email protected] and let them know what is going on. You might be able to get a credit comp if you ask nicely (no guarantees, it's not normal, but maybe...
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    You don't have to go to those lengths, though (I mean, that works, but...). You just need someone with a cable that has that year/model and the year/model of the target controller both unlimited and do a full flash with his previous file.
    Does that change the VCM ID (ESN)?

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks, I will send them a email.
    I wasn't in the shop today, but my guys took the new computer to a place that does stock flashes for Autozone. They said now the car will start for one second then shut off. I am hoping tomorrow when I go in (it wont need to be licensed again) and pulling everything off the tune I did before to this new flash will work....

If it starts immediately then dies it sounds like the security stuff is still activated...

Potential Tuner
    I was able to read the file and it is now a stock 01 Vette flash. I pulled the file out compared/copy my changes (nothing security showed up in the compare log) and every time I go to flash it fails halfway through. Now the car just cranks and wont start. The only good news is it didnt take another credit.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Mode 2 erase timed out usually indicates a battery or wiring issue.

You might want to consider fixing those issues before moving forward.

I see you are doing a write entire which if it fails at or during the erase portion the pcm will become unrecoverable.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Correct, no more write entire for me. I tuned 2 camaros today with no issues, so I am glad it had nothing to do with my laptop or flasher. Security is blinking so getting the keys matched up now. We have traced the wiring and nothing seems to be wrong.

Advanced Tuner
    I recently had to have a PCM replaced by my tuner after my stock PCM lost an injector driver running 80# injectors. The VIN of course changed, and now my credits no longer work (obviously). My tuner has a vehicle license, so he was able to write to the new PCM without additional license costs... but if I want to tune the car again, do I have to re-purchase my license points (std single car, and 3bar) all over again?

Thanks for any help!
    2011 Z07 Carbon Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Turbos View Post
    Correct, no more write entire for me. I tuned 2 camaros today with no issues, so I am glad it had nothing to do with my laptop or flasher. Security is blinking so getting the keys matched up now. We have traced the wiring and nothing seems to be wrong.
    I once had a problem with a stock Firebird. It cranked and started fine, but when I tried to write calibration, failed every time.
    I hooked a battery charger and was able to write PCM many times.

Tuner in Training
    You talk about the 411 ecm and the fact that the coils and one ECM didn't work but another did. Did you compare VIN as well as the tune. The coil and injectors are VIN specific. The 411 ecm was used in a lot of differant trucks and cars, you must be sure of the wire schematic you are using for the ECM matches the VIN, etc.

I am seeing a Mode 2 Erase issue on a PCM on my bench supply (lab grade). It won't read it and won't flash it. And flashing gave me a Mode 2 erase error.

Any other ideas to look at on Mode 2 erase error?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Mode 2 erase timed out usually indicates a battery or wiring issue.

You might want to consider fixing those issues before moving forward.

I see you are doing a write entire which if it fails at or during the erase portion the pcm will become unrecoverable.