Thread: 99 GTP (Tell me what you think)

Tuner

99 GTP (Tell me what you think)

Mods are 1.9 Rockers, FWI, 42.5's, Ported Gen 3, 3.4, Togs no cat, 2.5 Catback, Dyno Tech Stage 2

Now Some fuel has been added by a previous tuner to run a 3.2 a while ago but I sold the car to a guy named "Murphinator" and he ran nitrous on it. Then I bought it back off him and here I am today. I am in need of a wideband and some more tuning learning. So far I took a file that has more cruise time and I also added timing up top. Let me know what you guys think.

Since day one bone stock one known issue which I do not like to do is driving at 30 and just going wot. It goes KR crazy and is slow!! So I do not do that. I have to ease into the throttle which is what these 2nd gear pulls are (scan 1-3) Scan 4/5 are stabbing the throttle and KR is not as bad but there. Unsure if anyone knew what a fix was? Plus KR on shifts...how is this eliminated? It pops up in the scans and then depletes. Two more issues. It seems to have a hard time finding an idle after driving then parking when warmed up. One you give it gas a few times the issue goes away. Transmission wise say if your driving on the highway in 3rd ease into it and kick down it pulls hard but if you let off before it gets to third it jolts into third even thow your not accelerating. Same goes for 1st if you spin alot then let off it jolts into second. I have yet to disconnect the battery and touch the cables together to reset shift adapts which it sounds like. Just thought id throw this one out there.

Also I was curious on what the "spark correction afr correction" was all about and how it works. Are these values low? I personally have not touched them but according to stock values they are very low.
    Last edited by PWNED; 01-11-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Tuner
    Rest of the scans. Sorry just like to keep everyhting in one thread. Along with a stock gtp bin.
    Last edited by PWNED; 01-11-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Just to clarify for others Pat , nothing in that tune is from me , I never licensed it since I bought it to demod initially and sprayed it hard & dry expecting the engine to expire which it refused to do lol so I never demodded it and Pat wanted it back knowing I had tortured it , in fact he came to see it himself at least once

The person who tuned it before I bought it for Pat had added a lot of fuel and pulled timing to enable it to kind of run on the 3.2 pulley that was on it , I upped the pulley to a 3.4 , threw some dr's and cable mod on it , a dry kit , and it ran 12.2 @ 118 first pass with a 7.9 @94 1/8, car liked the big spray and took it well for a 165,000 mile engine I always ran 100 or 104 octane in it

on to your issues... fueling wise if you put the stock injectors from the other engine I sold you for it in the car and put stock injector data (flow rate vs. kpa - there was nothing else that was accesible to be changed at the time) I bet a lot of stuff straightens out - the car is not tuned for the injectors that are in it , if it runs good then its time to get the serial numbers off those 42's and google them to find out what they are and try to find full data for them (pulse adders etc...) I think you will find that those 42's are going to be racetronics/Lucas ( do you remember what they were supposed to be when you bought them? ) if that is what they are there have been posts that they just dont work well on L67's and you may want to look at some other options of larger GM oem injectors that you can find all the data for in tunes in the repository or Gregs cd.

If you at least add a bung for the wideband in your downpipe you can come up and use my wideband , once you know what the actual afr is and correct it a lot of things will likely fall into place provided the motor isnt hurt ( have you done a compression test yet by chance ?)

the trans worked well WOT in the 1/4 mile and I never registerred it and or drove the car on the street - I bet I didnt put 20 miles on it between on & off the trailer , passes , return road etc.. is it different than you remember from when you owned it last or a familiar problem ?

i will take a peek at the scans
    Last edited by murphinator; 01-11-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

It looks like you might have some tired valve springs but that shouldn't matter a whole lot. My honest opinion is that you should put the stock pulley back on get that wideband. Especially if you're not intercooled, the Gen3 is a big heat pump and by the time you hit 3rd gear, those pistons are nice and toasty. Making a complete guess, you're probably right at or around 11:1 or slightly leaner AFR and if you can't run that with the little amount of timing you have, either the pulley is too small or you have problems elsewhere.

PS the tune file doesn't open I could give you a few pointers but you really need a wideband or we're shooting in the dark for the most part.