Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MALT Massaging..

Tuner
    thanks t-man and BYT. once some nice weather gets here i am going to start trying these out! what kind of timing are you running t-man?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    Ive run those tables on straight HP cars and the boost is smooth as well. You may just need to slightly raise the DALS in the last column depending on the car.
    so the tables you posted are for a stage 1 car?

No but I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work for that either. You may need to slightly reduce the DAL below 3k but I would try it first and see.

Tuner
    i don't have stage 1. i am on the stock sensors.

So why are you asking about S1 then? LOL. I never mentioned S1

Tuner
    Ive run those tables on straight HP cars and the boost is smooth as well. You may just need to slightly raise the DALS in the last column depending on the car.
    i was just curious because of this post. you mention straight HP cars. thought maybe that your tables were from a S1 car or an HP/Trifecta combo tune, that's all. That and i might be a little confused because t-man is S1.
    Last edited by skip_jones; 01-17-2011 at 02:02 PM.

I just mean a car with a HPT tune only. That table is from my car with a combo tune loaded, while it changes it slightly, what I posted should still work on a straight HP car with some slight tweaks.

Tuner
    Gotcha. thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    *Update*

Clutch is still holding strong 1-3 and with a slight slip in 4th. Tried a 3-4 NLS and the car felt as though it stopped accelerating and then BAM, off like a rocket which I presume was a pretty serious slip.

Saving money for a clutch but ATM still happy with how the stocker has held up. Considering a custom unit from Kentucky Clutch.
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

The guy that bought BBG's car swears by them. IDK. With any clutch you pay your $$$ and take your chances. People said my SPEC Stage 2+ was junk, but one year and ~20k miles later it's still fine.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Ive been driving a car with a Spec2+ and its not too bad. Still not my fav clutch. If you can afford it the HyperSingle is the way to go really.

Ive been driving a car with a Spec2+ and its not too bad. Still not my fav clutch. If you can afford it the HyperSingle is the way to go really.
    Be prepared for your left leg to be twice the size of the right with the Exedy. Just sayin'
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 01-23-2011 at 12:48 PM.

You should ride in my Subaru if you think that is tough lol. Since Im running the stock trans I have to use clutches that match, and to hold the power I make thats a stage4/5 clutch depending on the brand. Rough engagement and def pretty stiff overall. My leg is prepared LOL!

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like the centerforce dual friction in my cobra. Everyone that had been in that car said it was the stiffest clutch they've ever tried lol.

I learned to drive on a '65 Chevelle Malibu SS 327 w/a Muncie 4 spd Rock Crusher that had a Zoom clutch that needed two men and a small boy to disengage. I inherited it from my brother when he went into the service. No power anything & I got to where I could turn that thing left handed. My old man told me if I could drive that beast, I could drive anything. I redrilled the Hurst shifter dawgs to make it a short throw before any of us knew what that was or that it was hardened. Lots of bits in the old drill press that day. lol. Memories...memories.

Anyway, that's got a lot to do with why I chose the SPEC S2+, rated 437 fw tq and it hasn't let me down, ever. I didn't want that massive left leg again and my old knees can't take it anymore so I bought the clutch I thought I needed for my power & no more.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    The guy that bought BBG's car swears by them. IDK. With any clutch you pay your $$$ and take your chances. People said my SPEC Stage 2+ was junk, but one year and ~20k miles later it's still fine.
    My whole thought on this was not only could I have something similar to the SPEC 2+ but it would be cheaper as well. SPEC 2+ looks great to me and I may go that route with the whole clutch/flywheel package. We'll see. How does the 2+ like being slipped where necessary? Chatter pretty badly (I'm betting it does and is only exacerbated with the aluminum FW)?

Bleh, I've never once been a fan of Exedy. Too pricey and I've seen a ton of premature failures. With no personal experience, not willing to shill the money for something that I haven't seen a whole lot of confidence in. SPEC has been hit or miss for me with 1 premature failure (S3+) and 1 successful clutch (S3).

Thanks for your input on the clutch deal gents.

Ive installed quite a few in Subaru's that launch around the 6k mark and never had a failure. Ive only done one on a SS so far tho and he hasn't raced the car.

My buddy has a Turbo Colt and he went thru ACT clutches faster then oil. We ended up doing a Turbo Matrix project and the guy had a ACT Clutch as well, guess what? Failed, broken spring and jammed it into the disc tearing it apart, just like the DSM kept doing. Ive heard they since changed their design but I won't be testing another lol

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    My whole thought on this was not only could I have something similar to the SPEC 2+ but it would be cheaper as well. SPEC 2+ looks great to me and I may go that route with the whole clutch/flywheel package. We'll see. How does the 2+ like being slipped where necessary? Chatter pretty badly (I'm betting it does and is only exacerbated with the aluminum FW)?

snip...
    The only time it moans is the first few times engaging it leaving on cold mornings, it slips fine & smooth, no chatter really, just a few moans, lower pitch than brake squeal, but the same idea. Once it warms up, no more cryin'.

Advanced Tuner
    *Update #2*

On the way back from getting my taxes taken care of, decided to do a 60-100 run down my "test strip" for kicks. Had my wife with me and a little over 10 gallons of gas with temps being 52*/IAT 57*. Have since altered my MALT/DAL tables a little more but was able to achieve a very smooth/linear boost delivery(20psi max, held well and dropped off slowly!).

Went WOT at 58MPH as usual and wound up with a 5.4 second 60-100 time. FWIW, my best is 5.2. I figure the wife added around a tenth to my time and the car was adding about 3-4% fuel up top. Not too shabby! Will post my new MALT/DAL later. Gonna go push my daughter on the swing and spend some time.
    Last edited by T-Man; 02-06-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Added max boost reading

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    *Update #2*

On the way back from getting my taxes taken care of, decided to do a 60-100 run down my "test strip" for kicks. Had my wife with me and a little over 10 gallons of gas with temps being 52*/IAT 57*. Have since altered my MALT/DAL tables a little more but was able to achieve a very smooth/linear boost delivery(20psi max, held well and dropped off slowly!).

Went WOT at 58MPH as usual and wound up with a 5.4 second 60-100 time. FWIW, my best is 5.2. I figure the wife added around a tenth to my time and the car was adding about 3-4% fuel up top. Not too shabby! Will post my new MALT/DAL later. Gonna go push my daughter on the swing and spend some time.
    looking forward to the new malt/dal table update.