Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MALT Massaging..

Advanced Tuner
    Attached are my updated tables

09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

After doing a lot of work with the Combo Tunes Ive been learning a real lot about the DAL and MAL tables and how they REALLY work.

The MAL is a "lookup" table. It will set the max DAL column for a specific RPM. So by ramping up the MAL slower you are just hitting lower columns in the DAL making less load and smoothing out the delivery. You could really just leave the MAL all 100s and work the DAL table to death to make it as smooth as possible everywhere, this would take awhile! lol. If you want to see what I mean, set the MAL to 50% across the board, and go do a WOT pull. It will hold w/e airload % you have in the 50% column for the pull.

The DAL table is just that, you are setting the airload % you are trying to achieve. Since this ECU is load based everything is by a load %. You can't just say I want 22psi flat, you have to work on the table and figuring out what load % will make it hold that flat. Then on certain days it WILL fluctuate slightly due to weather conditions.

Hopefully this makes some sense

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    After doing a lot of work with the Combo Tunes Ive been learning a real lot about the DAL and MAL tables and how they REALLY work.

The MAL is a "lookup" table. It will set the max DAL column for a specific RPM. So by ramping up the MAL slower you are just hitting lower columns in the DAL making less load and smoothing out the delivery. You could really just leave the MAL all 100s and work the DAL table to death to make it as smooth as possible everywhere, this would take awhile! lol. If you want to see what I mean, set the MAL to 50% across the board, and go do a WOT pull. It will hold w/e airload % you have in the 50% column for the pull.

The DAL table is just that, you are setting the airload % you are trying to achieve. Since this ECU is load based everything is by a load %. You can't just say I want 22psi flat, you have to work on the table and figuring out what load % will make it hold that flat. Then on certain days it WILL fluctuate slightly due to weather conditions.

Hopefully this makes some sense
    Absolutely makes sense. This is what I've been learning, slowly but surely. At first, I did as you suggested and tried working the DAL by itself, with the MAL set 100% across the board but found that it was always just a bit too touchy or kind of doggy. Wasn't able to find my happy medium. I then started tweaking the DAL table slightly, while massaging the MAL and found it to work best for me.

What still kind of perplexes me is that, for example, you can set a value of 80-89.xx but yet it's still only pulling from the 80% column? Or is it Interpolating between 80/90?

Appreciate the info Nick. Nice to have a someone knowledgeable to help confirm theories.

It def will interpolate!

Tuner
    thanks for posting up these tables. i really need to put them into use to calm my boost spike and my clutch slip. just have to wait for nicer weather.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again for posting up these tables. I used them to adjust my tune and and pulls much harder now.

Tuner
    well, i finally got around to doing this. both dal and malt tables ramp up smoothly. i STILL have a nasty boost spike. spikes to 25-26 psi, quickly
    settles to 21 and then slowly tapers to 19 at the top rpm. i am also
    hp tune only, with stock sensors. why the damn spike still??

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by skip_jones View Post
    well, i finally got around to doing this. both dal and malt tables ramp up smoothly. i STILL have a nasty boost spike. spikes to 25-26 psi, quickly
    Do you have a log of the car doing a pull where it spikes 25-26 psi?

Tuner
    yes i did log the run. i was going by the gauge inside the car. not sure how to post it up here. i could e-mail it to you. the boost on the log showed a max out of 255 kpa i think. i believe that the boost pid is configured for stage 1 sensors though. (i am on stock sensors).

Advanced Tuner
    yes i did log the run. i was going by the gauge inside the car. not sure how to post it up here. i could e-mail it to you. the boost on the log showed a max out of 255 kpa i think. i believe that the boost pid is configured for stage 1 sensors though. (i am on stock sensors).
    The scanner pegs at 255 kPa unless you make a custom boost pressure PID.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tables skip. No reason you should be spiking that high, if at all if you're using my tables.

Tuner
    not sure how to post them up? how do you do that?

print screen, copy and paste it into ms paint, save it and add the saved file as an attachment when you post here
    '09 cobalt ss. hahn intercooler, intake, cp,catless downpipe, ottp stage 2 mounts, hptuners, gmpp 3bar tmap sensors, hybrid hp tuned

Advanced Tuner
    DAL is pretty aggressive...

Tuner
    well, i made it that way because i am on all stock sensors. i had heard you guys saying that you need to lower the dals a little when running stage 1 sensors, so that's why i bumped them up over your settings a little bit. so should i try about halfway between your settings and my current ones?? or get the new beta update and adjust that max boost pressure table that i am broke talked about??
    Last edited by skip_jones; 04-13-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Now that we have boost control, there's really no need to jack the DAL table. Get the beta and we can take this to PMs

wow, I'm on stock sensors and if i got tire spin it would peg the stock sensors, 25.5, when i was at 220 DALs with 100MALT but it would hold 22psi no problem otherwise.
    2010 Cobalt SS/TC aka "Cavalier SS" aka "Corsica SS" aka "Geo Metro ZR1"

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    Now that we have boost control, there's really no need to jack the DAL table. Get the beta and we can take this to PMs
    pm sent.

Advanced Tuner
    Here are my most recent tables; DAL, MALT & WG DC

Using these tables on my car with GMS1 base values for all PID gains, prop max and pressure limit, I'm seeing a linear climb to a flat 22psi in 2nd and 3rd gear. WG DC shows a consistent 88-91% from 3300 to 4700, after which it ramps up to 95% (88% where I would typically "spike"). No data for 4th gear just yet.

Please remember, my car is bone stock and I'm only doing this to try and keep the stock clutch happy. So far, so good. The clutch held like a champ when I accidentally forgot to tone down my DALs from the WG changes and it ramped up to 26lbs of boost by 3700, no slippage. Your results may differ. Please report back if you decide to use em!

Last edited by T-Man; 07-15-2011 at 08:14 PM.