Thread: Flat lines during deceleration

Flat lines during deceleration

I have a 99 grand am gt w/ swapped 3.5L engine. My car is doing what I can only describe as flat lining when I decelerate(mainly from highway speeds). I can be doing about 34mph, decelerate and the engine stumbles dropping to 600rpm for about one second. During flat line fuel trims run 0.0, my wideband goes 22.0, and injector pulse zeroes out too. I've had this problem for a while now, but I have attempted fixing the problem before. In my attached scan you can find it right after the 6600 frames, then I flick the pedal to make it respond again.

P.S. How should I adjust for KR with a limited parameter setup like the GA?

Thanks for checking this out

Advanced Tuner
    DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cutoff)

Advanced Tuner
    You get KR during deceleration?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Senior Tuner
    Are you running a 3500 PCM? Have you put the tune "back to stock" to see if this still happens? You have one of two things here, bad MAF or bad PCM. I am in the middle of dealing with the same issue. My new PCM was ordered on the 10th, waiting for it to come in. Mine did this 4 years ago and I tried everything, when I would put it to a previous tune it would be fine for a while and then it would eventually start to act up again. I replaced wiring harness, MAP sensor, MAF sensor and nothing was "fixing" the problem. Then I replaced the PCM and have had 4 years of tuning bliss, until 3 weeks ago when it did this again. Your scan looks all to familiar to me bud. I can't say 100% that it is your issue, but if I was a bettin' man.... catch my drift??

@vortec
    I don't have DFCO parameters. . .. v6 blah blah. . .

@ Perforator
    KR was at 100% throttle, that was a completely separate question

@MMGT1
    I get what your saying, but its the same old pcm since 99'
    3500 Swapped Pontiac Grand Am GT
    Simply Modded But Dont Call Her Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Gotha. The flat lining is not a problem. That's normal. It's deceleration enleanment or deceleration fuel cutoff.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Quote Originally Posted by Perforator View Post
    Gotha. The flat lining is not a problem. That's normal. It's deceleration enleanment or deceleration fuel cutoff.
    Ok, I have deceleration enleanment but didn't know if it was worth adjusting. If you care to look its under Fueling > Accel Enrich

What they said ^^ DFCO. Deceleration enleanment simply lowers the IPW while decelerating so that the car uses less fuel. DFCO sets the IPWs and spark to zero so that the car can use the engine to brake.
    Last edited by oakleafresin; 01-15-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Well damn, I think I just learned something new haha. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Hey guys, look at what his trims are doing before at highway speed. No difference in timing, airflow, spark... anything but his trims start to go nuts. I would bet within a couple of weeks he begins to have stalling issues when coming to a stop from highway speeds and having to "two foot" the car to keep it running. Just something to look out for, if it starts happening like I have explained, PCM needs to go.
    What I see his trims doing at cruse is all too familiar is all. Hopefully it does not do this, but if it does....

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm. Fuel trims look like other 3400 grand ams I have scanned. LTFT is fairly costant, STFT is rapidly changing but not by that much.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.