Thread: How to remove auto trans control without issue.

Senior Tuner

How to remove auto trans control without issue.

I am looking a picking up a 2WD 5.3 Colorado (a 2010 or 2011), and I want to swap to a T56 (I have one).

I am certain I can disable any trouble codes related to the removal of the auto, and should be able to correct any idle difference and speedometer calibration without issue...but I'm unsure how to run the reverse lockout. Obviously I don't want to run a 1-4 skip shift solenoid...and I COULD run a relay off the brake light wires for the reverse lockout...but I'd prefer to control it in the PCM based on MPH like it should be.

I'm sure there will also be some DFCO differences...but thats no big deal, and I should be able to figure it out.

Does anyone know if this is possible with HPTuners?

I am alright with writing in a different file from a different vehicle, but I HAVE to be able to keep the Colorado's original VIN number in the PCM for inspection.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    I am looking a picking up a 2WD 5.3 Colorado (a 2010 or 2011), and I want to swap to a T56 (I have one).

I am certain I can disable any trouble codes related to the removal of the auto, and should be able to correct any idle difference and speedometer calibration without issue...but I'm unsure how to run the reverse lockout. Obviously I don't want to run a 1-4 skip shift solenoid...and I COULD run a relay off the brake light wires for the reverse lockout...but I'd prefer to control it in the PCM based on MPH like it should be.

I'm sure there will also be some DFCO differences...but thats no big deal, and I should be able to figure it out.

Does anyone know if this is possible with HPTuners?

I am alright with writing in a different file from a different vehicle, but I HAVE to be able to keep the Colorado's original VIN number in the PCM for inspection.
    You will need a manual tune.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    You will need a manual tune.
    For that truck, they don't exist...hence why I'm asking what do I need to change to make it a manual tune.

Back in the day with Impala SS's and Caprices, you'd just disable the auto trans related fault codes, fix the idle issues, and calibrate the reverse lockout stuff...I bet the exact same thing is still possible if we had access to everything...but I don't yet think we have access to everything, especially in the newest PCM's.

Senior Tuner
    So does anyone know if I'll be able to keep cruise control functional if I do this? Thats my only major concern. I do not really know how integral the presence of the auto transmission is to the drive by wire cruise control system.

Anything come of this? Im in the same boat. VVT 6.0 being run with a '10 Colorado ecu with its vvt 5.3 base tune, tuned to run the 6.0 of course. Running a t56. Speedo works, no reverse lockout switch so I just force it into rev. But I cant get cruise to work or my dfco. Wondering why and what needs to be hooked up for it to work. Im running a custom harness built for my truck with this combo by a reputable company and everything else work except for those 2 things.
    2000 Sonoma Zq8 Extcab
    '08 Ly6 6.0, Nx nitrous plate, TSP vvt-2 cam + more goodies, SW Longtube headers, 4l80e, CircleD 3500 stall, HPTuners, Narrowed 8.8 swap: Moser axles, 3.73 gears, disc brakes, posi. Caltracs. Afco Coilovers
    Best time [email protected] na
    LSx Swap thread http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/l...n-name-459831/

Potential Tuner