Thread: IPAD + HP tuners = ??????

Tuner in Training

IPAD + HP tuners = ??????

I am curious if the ipad can be configured to use with hp tuners ????I see on here that the mac book works . Any information would be great

HPT does not work with OSX (mac book). Anyone that has gotten it to work, uses either parallels or wine for the Windows compatibility.
    With that said... the ipad doesn't even use OSX... it uses iOS.

As well, this has been discusses many times here.
    The HPT team has expressed that they have no intention of supporting any platform other than windows.
    Tyler

Where would you plug the cable into?
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

side note, i run windows xp on a partitioned mac book pro and it works flawlessy with the hp software and interface flashing cars.

hope this post helps someone in the future who searching if they should or shouldn't try a mac laptop.

actually imo the mac works better as a windows laptop that most other dedicated windows designed laptops. The battery life is phenomenal
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Where would you plug the cable into?
    isnt hpt working on a possible wireless setup?

Only useful part of it would be the scanner. It's not like you're going to really tune something using the iPad. It's a royal pain in the ass to type something more lengthy than a status update on the iPad lol
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jakebdb56 View Post
    Only useful part of it would be the scanner. It's not like you're going to really tune something using the iPad. It's a royal pain in the ass to type something more lengthy than a status update on the iPad lol
    agreed sir... That is why I stuck with my 500 bucks in my pocket next to my mini ipad that makes phone calls..Lol

Tuner
    HPT was developed using Microshaft's .Net framework, as such it will never run navitly on any device other than a Windoze laptop.

If they have developed it using Java we could use it on Windoze, Mac, or Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox95 View Post
    side note, i run windows xp on a partitioned mac book pro and it works flawlessy with the hp software and interface flashing cars.

hope this post helps someone in the future who searching if they should or shouldn't try a mac laptop.

actually imo the mac works better as a windows laptop that most other dedicated windows designed laptops. The battery life is phenomenal

You do realize that the macbooks are exactly the same as their conterpart windows computers, except for the BIOS chip which allows OSX to be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTuner View Post
    HPT was developed using Microshaft's .Net framework, as such it will never run navitly on any device other than a Windoze laptop.

If they have developed it using Java we could use it on Windoze, Mac, or Linux.

Java would be horrible for an application such as HPtuners. Java is extremely slow and memory/cpu intensive since it runs within a virtual machine making it a poor choice for applications which need quick and accurate access to low level functions.

Tuner in Training

Lightbulb

A little birdie told me HP Tuners is in development for iOS, but release does not seem to be imminent... Now if they can make HP Tuners for iOS, OS X is a no-brainer, since both OS's share the same OS X core foundation... Let's hope they make BOTH!

I would be super happy if this happened. Means I could delete windows off my computer lol.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

the MS platform has a lot more support than the MAC does even at this stage of the game.

application development for a MAC would require a complete rewrite of the app plus all the headaches of getting Apple to approve your app and deploy.

Nothing against MAC's as they do a good job but from a enterprise stand point they just aren't there yet and based on their culture I don't suspect they will anytime soon.

Besides that when was the last time you saw any of the other manufactures of tuning software running on a MAC? Begs to question why bother?

As for Java? It is a remnant of old passed technology that is heavy and buggy. Why use an emulator to access what you need when .net can do it faster and more reliable. not to mention there are a lot more .Net developers out there.

Based on these reasons I can see why the technology would stay windows and I fully am thankful.

We're definitely a Windows/Android based company.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

What you could do to "use" HP Tuners on an iPad
    Use a laptop or desktop PC with windows 7, 8.1 or 10, and turn on remote desktop. (I'm also playing with a Ras Pi 2 with the Free Windows 10 for Ras to do the same thing, much smaller and all solid state)
    You will still need to use the PC's USB (or the USB on the RAS Pi 2 with Win 10) to interface with the HP Tuners interface.
    Install the windows remote desktop App on the ipad made by Microsoft.
    Make sure BOTH systems are connected to the same wireless network.
    Use the Remote Desktop on the ipad to remotely log into your laptop that is hooked up to the vehicle.
    I would Highly suggest that you use a very good quality stylus vs your finger.

That's the best you are ever going to get using HP Tuners on a iPad.

The Method's listed to use a MacBook, with Parallels or by setting up a Windows boot option on the MAC and booting directly to Windows (my preferred method when using my mac, also agree Mac battery life phenomenal!)

I actually really like using my Ras Pi 2 with Windows 10 and my ipad to flash my Firebird I race. It gives me a really cool "wireless" method.
    I have a custom made 12v to USB Power 5v adapter, that will power my USB devices for 10 Min after the 12v input has been removed, this allows me to cycle the vehicle ignition or pull main fuse and not worrying about the Ras Pi rebooting on me.
    Last edited by bigboykilroy; 08-09-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Ras Pi Info
    98 TransAm WS9 Raim Air – Stage 4 4L60E Trans -3:90 Rear -1.8 HS Rockers - Full UMI Suspension – 85MM Lid – 85MM Z06 MAF - LS6 Z06 Intake - 224/230 Comp Cam - 7.350 Push Rods - 243 TEA Stage 2 LS6 Heads 61cc - Melling 10296 Oil Pump - Caddy Race Lifters - SLP Underdrive Pulley - 160 Thermo - 42# Green Top Injectors - HPT - SLP Line lock - Pacesetter LTube Headers - Yank SS4000 - 98 to 2002 PCM Swap www.mrk-motorsports.com

I like the setup you have bigboykilroy.

I also noticed you are located in aurora oh

I am in Rittman.

Next time I have something at the house / shop ill let you know and send you an invite.