Thread: question involving what the LS1 PCM has to see to be considered "Running"

question involving what the LS1 PCM has to see to be considered "Running"

asking because I am getting ready to undertake a stand alone swap with a buddy...
    we need to make his PCM still exist for OBD2 readiness tests for Emissions compliance.
    have no idea what else the test checks for other than pass readiness and no emissions related MIL light

but my question is... when does it consider itself in the "Run" state.
    the PCM will likely only be controlling his stock gauges, cruise control, and maybe fuel pump run.

If we really had to, we could split the Crank/cam sensor signals to go to the PCM and put Diodes in to keep backfeeding from happening either direction.

Just trying to figure out if its really necessary or not first.

Like I said...the stand alone unit will be doing all the control...and were really only using the stock pcm for some basic functions of AC/Cruise/gauges.

were already considering going to a 98 gauge cluster to have analog gauges or just going completely stand alone gauges and build a dash plate for them
    -Scott -

I think it needs to see ignition on, and a RPM signal. IIRC anything under 400 or so is cranking.

What year/model is that car? In Calif. 2000~01 can have 2 readiness not passed, after what ever the cutoff is, it is one.

so basically I could just give it Crank/cam signals and ignition power and it would be happy to start running its tests and show a running status?

it looks like our testing stations look do an KOEO and KOER test
    Key on engine off is not an issue
    Key on Engine running is the one I am worried about and need to trick..LOL
    -Scott -

From what I could find in Mitchell, it only needs crank and ign. to be running, Cam is only for pwr/ext stroke reference. I need to know what tests you are trying to "run" and the type of vehicle, then I can look up each test and tell you what signals it needs to see. The above info I think I used a 1999 Camaro as the vehicle.
    Last edited by JoeyJoeJoe; 02-11-2011 at 08:36 PM.