Thread: need some help with fuel trims

need some help with fuel trims

so i have been reading a lot about using the hp tuner and tuning in general, i have even pick up dan maslics book but still kinda lost (mathematically challenged) i am wanting to tune a ls4 grand prixs fuel trims as it is running lean due to a cai. im am waning some one to give me some baby steps to understand how to do this because if i cant grasp the consept i should just give the $$$$ to my local over priced tuner
    man your car must be fast cauz you where hauling ass when i passed you in my ls4 gxp

Make sure it's not something mechanically wrong before you starting trying to tune it out. A dirty or old MAF will cause a lean condition as will a poor designed intake that provides turbulent airflow across the MAF sensor.
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

www.davenportmotorsports.com

Also make sure all the couplers are tight and no unmetered air is entering the system.

Is it setting any codes?
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Also make sure all the couplers are tight and no unmetered air is entering the system.

Is it setting any codes?
    Totally, an air leak into the engine downstream of the MAF will cause a lean condition.
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

yea its throwing a lean code the ls4 was a notoriously lean tune from the factory to begin with, there is no leaks in my intake the winter blend gas is what got me it will throw it a couple times a week never had the problem untill the gas changed ( i buy branded gas so its not bad)
    man your car must be fast cauz you where hauling ass when i passed you in my ls4 gxp

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
    yea its throwing a lean code the ls4 was a notoriously lean tune from the factory to begin with, there is no leaks in my intake the winter blend gas is what got me it will throw it a couple times a week never had the problem untill the gas changed ( i buy branded gas so its not bad)
    if you really think its the winter blend fuel find out if you get e10 in the winter but not the rest of the year in your area.

if you get e10 change stoich to reflect e10 in your tune , e10 is 14.1 stoich not the 14.7ish value that would be in the tune for straight gasoline
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Are you able to post a idle/crusing/WOT scan and a tune?

Advanced Tuner
    You should start with a log session to see how the fuel trims look like.