Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Cruze 1.4T Tuning?

Tuner
    Has anyone kinda figured how to take the inconsistency day to day out of these driver demand based turbo creatures? I mean mine runs its strongest between 60-70 degrees F ambient and anywhere else its meh, even when its now 30F outside it surges more so... I almost wish to relax letting the PCM decide how to make the torque asked of it and get the boost and timing to work long hand so all this inconsistency bullshit kinda goes away. Its pretty annoying. It did the same thing, but WORSE on the trifect tune.

i havent logged it yet, just havent cared too as its my DD. During this surging event you can hear the turbo whistle surge with it like its closing the throttle to modulate output or really screwing with the timing by the feel of it or its dumping boost via the waste gate... something...

Bottom line is, has anyone spent enough time to get one working GOOD in all conditions and is just as consistence performance wise day to day?

Dont want to hear the rhetoric about its a turbo car and will change from day to to day... this is a calibration thing...
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 11-26-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    2007 Suburban - Slammed, Cammed, Geared and Stalled.

Mine never surges. Trans seems a little inconsistent, shift firmness wise, but no surging.
    What mods do you have? Do you have means of watching things other than the Hptuners scanner, like a Dashhawk or Aeroforce?
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD with boltons GP tuned
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 LTZ RS Vermount Stade 0 tuned

Tuner
    Yes i have HP Tuners. Its stock other than a injen CAI. The surging is one of the small issues that it doesnt do all the time, it just seems really flat at times other than 60-70 degrees ambient then its pretty mental for what it is, sometimes will start to roll the tires over and pitch the front end right in 2nd gear from a deep pull from 1500 up. Im asking for and achieving close to 20PSI then. When i get time ill get the wide band back in it and spend some time putzing with it again and figure this thing out. I cant be the only one who notices the issues...
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 11-26-2012 at 02:59 PM.

I bet it never has a surge while scanning either, right? Mine does feel like it pulls harder some times more than others. If you roll into it pretty fast, it pulls way harder then just matting it from a stop.

Advanced Tuner
    My car feels great. Not sure what the surging would be other than maybe the driver demand table transitioning too fast and causing a sudden surge of power. I haven't tuned mine yet and I'm still not sure if I will.

I do plan to do some logging this weekend though to figure some things out.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Tuner
    Snowvette, yeah it does seem more consistent if i roll into it. Another odd thing is too if it feels like a turd i simply let off the gas entirely then get back on it again and it feels like a different car hahah. I think there is too much shit going on in the background with the PCM trying to figure out which avenue to get the torque from.

Have you tryed some of the things Chris mentioned earlier in this thread?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Snowvette, yeah it does seem more consistent if i roll into it. Another odd thing is too if it feels like a turd i simply let off the gas entirely then get back on it again and it feels like a different car hahah. I think there is too much shit going on in the background with the PCM trying to figure out which avenue to get the torque from.
    your description sounds exactly like an LNF throttle description....i wonder if there is a new table(throttle or torque failsafe related maybe) that has been added to the gm ecu's after 2008 myr poweradded vehicles release?

i cant read code so i wouldnt know but if it happens to us and you guys then possibly we share 1 small thing in common. all i do know is that every time i try something to control that lag time i always end up
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

you can log the torque path PIDs and also the torque source for various things.

Should be relatively easy to work out what is causing the surge from throttle, fuel, boost, spark etc.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    So i logged alot of the source stuff today, hard to make out what all of it really means though... and the driver demand table is still fubar. It claims to be comparing TPS % vs MPH but it has what appears to be RPM in thousands in place of mph...

I realized too that my tune is pretty off now that its cold out. On my holiday week off im going to the dyno and spending some time and rebuilding a new tune from stock, this one is horse shit. While its easy to get the boost up and make the car "feel better" its seems to be greatly difficult to make it consistent make decent repeatable performance with this whole driver demand BS. I am not an old fuddy dutty who resists change either like the old guys who will die clutching a carburetor in their hands... i just don't have enough patience or enough experience wit this new system to figure this thing out the right way.

One could argue no one really has allot of experience with this system yet to figure it out. I have tried one of the other canned tuning solutions and i feel i was able to drastically improve it over that, that's not saying much!. If yours appears to be performing constant and provided a huge gain along with that, then i would argue you haven't asked enough from it yet lol. Im asking for 240 kpa and getting it and that stays consistent at least.

before you start thinking "well this guy is just a dumb ass", im pretty sharp when it comes to LSX and LTX tuning, this stuff is just an all new league, while the fundamentals are the same, its a different way to get to the end result, much like tuning fords.
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 12-12-2012 at 04:21 PM.

These little turds are a little annoying. Just when I though I was happy with my tune, I went to pass someone yesterday and floored it, it down shifted fine pulled realy good through the gear and at the top of the gear bounced off the rev limiter twice then made the shift and was fine after that.

Advanced Tuner
    So i logged alot of the source stuff today, hard to make out what all of it really means though... and the driver demand table is still fubar. It claims to be comparing TPS % vs MPH but it has what appears to be RPM in thousands in place of mph...

I realized too that my tune is pretty off now that its cold out. On my holiday week off im going to the dyno and spending some time and rebuilding a new tune from stock, this one is horse shit. While its easy to get the boost up and make the car "feel better" its seems to be greatly difficult to make it consistent make decent repeatable performance with this whole driver demand BS. I am not an old fuddy dutty who resists change either like the old guys who will die clutching a carburetor in their hands... i just don't have enough patience or enough experience wit this new system to figure this thing out the right way.

One could argue no one really has allot of experience with this system yet to figure it out. I have tried one of the other canned tuning solutions and i feel i was able to drastically improve it over that, that's not saying much!. If yours appears to be performing constant and provided a huge gain along with that, then i would argue you haven't asked enough from it yet lol. Im asking for 240 kpa and getting it and that stays consistent at least.

before you start thinking "well this guy is just a dumb ass", im pretty sharp when it comes to LSX and LTX tuning, this stuff is just an all new league, while the fundamentals are the same, its a different way to get to the end result, much like tuning fords.
    I will finally get to mess with mine this weekend. I'll share my experiences with you. Any recommendations on what I should be scanning besides the normal stuff and the custom boost PID? I think Chris was saying there are tables that can tell what torque mgmt table is limiting boost.

Advanced Tuner
    Still want to know how some tuners are modifying the driver demand tables to switch when using cruise control and manual mode. When I logged the pedal demand pid it was never changing when I shifted "modes".

Tuner in Training

I asked support about the driver demand table. I don't have the software in front of me, but take the column headings and list in km/h units and it will be nice looking RPM values. (if I recall.) The reason is that pulldown menu which says to use a NV ratio instead of VSS. The NV is a ratio of engine speed (N) over vehicle speed (V). You can actually turn that off and re-open the tune and the axis will be calculated differently. This is my understanding from support. I never tried it!

I am waiting desperately for 2013 E78 support so I can get to work on my car.

Advanced Tuner
    The boost calculation in the help of the scanner doesn't work right. It tells me I'm doing 25psi idling.

[PID.11.IMP]-14.5

Wouldn't it make sense for this to be the equation?

[boost pressure sensor - 100] / 6.89?
    Last edited by Gh0st; 12-23-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Did some logging just now and noticed the car(stock) is commanding 10.35 AFR in a specific RPM range at WOT. The only thing I can find in the tune that looks to command this is is the "Turbo Over Temp Protection". Are you guys just leaving this on or modifying the parameters?

I have not changed mine from stock.

Tuner in Training
    Chris - Going e85 here shortly...wanting to go sensor based vice calculated. I do not see that anywhere in the tables but I know its there somewhere. I've got the schematics to wire the sensor, etc. Just want to make sure the ECM is using the sensor input and not calculating %ethanol.

I see the enable/disable but there should be another option that sets the source (calc vs sensor).

Any input would be appreciated...

Tuner in Training
    I should clarify and say I want to go Flex Fuel...the enable/disable option is in the open & closed loop fuel tab...I plan on installing and wiring in an actual flex sensor to the ECM which is pretty straight forward and has been done by the EFIlive guys here:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....uel-Conversion

I do not see an option for a sensor vs calculated in our tables on the 12' ECO.

Can you verify??

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    Logged the car for the first time today. Max boost I was hitting 12psi and my ECT's are extremely high, getting to 230!! Mind you it's 38 degrees outside, something isn't right.
    hey guys! new to the forum! there should be a way to tune the t-stat on these? i havent looked yet... electronic tstat is equiped on these vehicles...