Thread: Order now or wait?

Tuner in Training

Order now or wait?

Ok, I want to order HPTuners, but I'm questioning whether I would be better off waiting until 2.0 is released.

1. I would like the USB connection. How much will the upgrade cost?
    2. I will probably get the EIO, but wait to get wideband (waiting on FJO to see if they have Bosch sensor capability soon). Will this be fine for doing small stuff and tuning for adding headers (deleting emissions)? So if I want to use wideband, I will have to wait anyway.
    3. Last time when 1.5 was released, it was a big advantage to buy new instead of upgrade (because of getting pro software and getting 2 vehicles).

Should I wait or go ahead and order? I might not use it until May anyway, but I could still learn slowly I guess. What do you think?

Re: Order now or wait?

Quote Originally Posted by matts_222
    Ok, I want to order HPTuners, but I'm questioning whether I would be better off waiting until 2.0 is released.

2. I will probably get the EIO, but wait to get wideband (waiting on FJO to see if they have Bosch sensor capability soon). Will this be fine for doing small stuff and tuning for adding headers (deleting emissions)? So if I want to use wideband, I will have to wait anyway.
    3. Last time when 1.5 was released, it was a big advantage to buy new instead of upgrade (because of getting pro software and getting 2 vehicles).

Should I wait or go ahead and order? I might not use it until May anyway, but I could still learn slowly I guess. What do you think?
    1. That information is probably not going to be public till the release, if you buy the recommended usb adapter you should not have a problem. As suggested in the Help File(SocketCom PCMCIA card adapter or Keyspan USB-Serial adapter (part # USA-19HS).

2. With EIO you still need a wideband controller, not just a wideband sensor.

3. Again this info will probably not be known till it is released, which from what I read is approx 1 month.

If you won't use it till May you might consider waiting but if you order now you can start learning the tables and you will get the software upgrade to 2.0 for free if you order now.
    1982 GMC S15 5.3 4L80e
    1954 Corvette ls swap in progress

checkmate covered it and I would like to add...

1)it really doesn't make any difference if it's serial or usb (from a function standpoint)at this time. As far as upgrade and options it's too early to tell.
    2)if you're just getting started there are plenty of things you can do before you do start needing one, getting yourself familier with what you're doing and what is where and what to do, what not to do...ect.
    3)I would have to disagree with it being an advantage to buy new instead of upgrade. [s]We were all upgraded to Pro for free and the EIO was only 75. The only thing we didn't get was the second vehicle but that's only 199. So for 275 and some change (shipping) I would take that over 650 for the EIO for two vehicles new (at the time). This isn't taking into account for the 500 I already had in it but [/s]this subject was beatin to death when 1.5 came out and I'd rather not go down that road again. It really doesn't make any difference at this point.

2.0 will be out within 6 months which is how much time you have of free upgrades so I would get started with it now. You won't regret it, I know I don't and I will be glad to shell out another 99 for another year of updates because the software has come so far in just this short time, I can only dream of where it's going to go from here.

-Mike-
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Tuner in Training

Thanks guys.

If I just knew the options the new cable was coming with (besides USB) and if it is going to cost more (and how much more) than the regular cable....I would instantly know whether to buy now or wait. I mean, if it is a lot more expensive and offers stuff I won't need, then I'll buy HPTuners right now. But if it is the same price and has anything that I might be interested in, I will wait to buy.

Also, is it assured that you will get 2.0 for free if you buy now? Thanks!

Tuner in Training

One more dumb question. If I buy HPTuners now with the EIO, can I tune just fine without getting a wideband? I mean, I'm going to get a wideband too, but not yet. Can I still tune the car just like everyone did before the EIO came out? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't want to order and get the EIO with future plans to get wideband, only to not be able to tune my car.

One more dumb question. If I buy HPTuners now with the EIO, can I tune just fine without getting a wideband? I mean, I'm going to get a wideband too, but not yet. Can I still tune the car just like everyone did before the EIO came out? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't want to order and get the EIO with future plans to get wideband, only to not be able to tune my car.
    Yes but you should ALWAYS verify your AF with a wideband sensor. The stock narrowbands can be lazy.

Thanks guys.

Also, is it assured that you will get 2.0 for free if you buy now? Thanks!
    I ordered mine a few weeks ago and was assured I will get 2.0 software upgrade for free.
    1982 GMC S15 5.3 4L80e
    1954 Corvette ls swap in progress

Tuner in Training

Thanks guys.

If I just knew the options the new cable was coming with (besides USB) and if it is going to cost more (and how much more) than the regular cable....I would instantly know whether to buy now or wait. I mean, if it is a lot more expensive and offers stuff I won't need, then I'll buy HPTuners right now. But if it is the same price and has anything that I might be interested in, I will wait to buy.
    Anyone?