Thread: Connect, disconnect

Advanced Tuner

Connect, disconnect

For a few times, when connected to the car I will get a disconnect and connect tone from my lap top. The VCM suite wont read or write.
    I have very distinctive sounds when anything is plugged in or unplugged.
    I can be absolutely still when sitting in the car, when doing a write it will do this and "brick" the ECU. I wait a few moments and try again.
    sometimes it works on the next attempt, sometimes it take a few try's.

I can use the PRO cable and scan the car, no issues.
    I can download the scan from the cable to my laptop, no issues.

The worst was this past weekend, Sister having problems with an SES light.
    Went to read and Bing, bong, Bing, bong, on, off, on, off,.......WTF!
    maybe it's because its her Ford focus!

Tried it on my car, Same thing, on, off, on, off.....What the hell?
    Unable to read anything.

Got home, remembered I downloaded a new version of Avast. (6.0???)
    Went in and isolated the VCM Suite from Avast. The next day I had a solid connection on my car. Able to write and read.
    I hope that was the problem.

Anyone else having problems with a connect and disconnect?
    There should be a sticky warning to isolate the VCM suite from virus scanners. Simular to using an adapter/converter in your car.
    I have read so many issues with problems with virus scanners and HPTunner.

time will tell for me if the issue is fixed.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I haven't had any issues and haven't done anything special with windows security essentials
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Happened with Norton's and Avast.

the on, off thing was just weird.

As I said time will tell.
    The only part that I should do to try to recreate, is to let it sit in a cold trunk for a few hours, and try it again.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Tuner in Training
    Hey Guys

I'm having the same issue, so i jumped on here n noticed this thread and decided it was the place to post my issue.

the first time i noticed it i was coming home form work with scanner open and it suddenly disconnected. thought nothing of it.

next day same thing.

now I'm having a hard time keeping connected for any longer then a couple min.

i noticed that my module is getting warm to the touch also ? is this normal iv never noticed ?

i would really appreciate some help with this. i don't think my issue is related to virus software, but i could be wrong. i haven't made any virus updates or anything recently.

what do you think ?

Thanks Chris

Tuner in Training
    i noticed another thing while connected to my vehicle my busy light is on for a sec then off for 4 seconds constantly on then off. and it will not connect to scanner or download.

not sure if this helps

Thanks Chris

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't used mine too much since. Just make sure you have gone into your anti virus software and excluded the entire HPT suite from scanning.
    (iirc) Norton's has a few threads about it's problems.
    Do you have the Pro version, like I do?

BTW, anywhere near Monessen?

Tuner in Training
    Well i just looked at my antivirus and it is Symatec Anti virus and i don't see any ware to exclude certain programs i also have malwarebytes on here but i haven't done anything with them since i started using hp tuners and i checked them to issues with the software and found nothing.

yes i am using pro

n BTW hah yea both of my parents are from Monesson. yea i live about 15 min from there

Tuner in Training
    something else i noticed is that i don't get busy light until i have tried to connect. after the i get the once second of busy light then 4 seconds of pause. over and over infinitely. until i unplug the usb cable from my comp. at that time I'm still plugged into the vehicle

when i try to connect w VCM it says connected at the bottom for a couple seconds but then goes away and i get the make sure your key is in run and you are connected thing.
    and it says disconnected. sooo .. i duno ..

thanks for tryn to help man

Chris

Advanced Tuner
    I had similar connectivity issues in the past allthough they may be totally unrelated with what you are seeing but be sure to never use anything but your laptops internal battery power when plugged into your interface , no 12v power supply cord , no power invertor , no 120v wall outlet , nothing but laptop battery

my 3rd interface has had no connectivity issues or other issues following this advice the first 2 were not so lucky
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    I had Symantic/Nortons. caused too many issues for me. with other programs on my laptop.
    I Got rid of it.
    It helped me to run HPT in XP mode.
    I don't remember where, but there is a right click and you can choose XP mode.
    Murphinator has a vary good point also.

Do you have the pro-version?
    With the Pro cable only, (not plugged into the laptop) can you read/scan?
    Then can you read from the "box" when it's plugged into the lap top?

Take a look around, If you haven't already, on of my problems.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30762

My kid is down in Monessen at the Douglas education center.
    Last edited by GeoJB; 03-12-2011 at 07:37 AM.