Thread: License question for an Opel GT

Potential Tuner

License question for an Opel GT

Hi all,

Quick question regarding licensing required for a very specific purpose.

I have an 2008 Opel GT (exactly the same as the Saturn Sky Redline, but sold in Europe).

Want to apply the Redline GMPP turbo upgrade, which is not available in Europe. Got the sensors, have places where to get the calibration files, etc...

Now just need to understand the best licensing scheme.

I only plan to use the HPT MVPI with this and only this vehicle (2008 Opel GT). That is, only one VIN is going to be flashed with this MVPI...

I need to flash a 2008 Redline file, that is, the file will come from a different vehicle.

I would like to be able to revert back to the stock format (I myself will take care of the sensors swap, etc...).

According to what I have read I would have two options:
    • License the complete model/year line.
    • License the specific car (VIN), the specific files to be flashed (provided they come from another vehicle)

Assuming first case: is the Opel GT considered the same as a Saturn Sky Redline, or they are considered different?... initial Kappas shared the same VIN numbering, 2008 models on-wards didn't... how is it done within HPT software?
    If they are considered the same model, can I assume that I would be able to flash 2008 Redline file?
    Credit cost: 6 credits...

Assuming second case: I license this VIN (my Opel GT). I can read and write any files coming from this car.
    Credit cost: 2 credits...
    I want to use some other car file into this vehicle, I need to license this file also, even though I will be flashing the same VIN always.
    Credit cost: 2 credits times the number of different cars from which the actual files come...

Am I right?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Juan P Hidalgo

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    No they are not considered the same, they are licensed differently.

Opel GT falls under the opel gt license, solstice have their own license, sky has their own license.

We don't license vin's we license to the vcm id number in the pcm and file in question.

The vin is NOT stored in the flash in these pcm's and therefore cannot be altered in the calibration itself.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Ok, understood, thanks for the quick response...

So I should license the car first to get the VCM ID linked to the MPVI, then license the Redline file. Is that correct?

Then I would be able to go back and forth the stock file and the Redline GMPP file without further licensing?

Sorry, but I am having a bad time with the licensing schemes and would like to get it right the first time...

Best regards,

Juan P Hidalgo

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you would read & license your original file then take the redline file in question and license it and try doing a write entire(it will likely be a completely different operating system) cross fingers and hope it works.

Understand we haven't tested this scenerio as most just use the operating system on the pcm so while it may work we cannot guarantee it and it could leave you with an inoperable pcm.

-Bill

Potential Tuner
    Thanks again from the prompt response Bill.

Everything is clear now.

Regards.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    you would read & license your original file then take the redline file in question and license it and try doing a write entire(it will likely be a completely different operating system) cross fingers and hope it works.
    Any reason you have to license both files? Why not just the second one?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Because you must have a license for the file you are trying to write to the pcm as well as the file in the pcm. Under NORMAL circumbstances you would have both but in yoru case since you are virtually trying to write someeone elses file to your vehicle you don't.