Thread: Multiple Computers

Tuner in Training

Multiple Computers

Hey, I'm looking at getting HP Tuners for the LQ9 swap into my '84 Silverado, and was wondering if HP Tuners can be ran off multiple computers. I have a Laptop at home I would like to load it on, and then when I'm down at school I have a desktop I would also like to be able to use it on, and was wondering if I could use both of them?

Tuner in Training
    I have two laptops with hptuners on it. Its all about your mpvi. You can only one mpvi per computer, but you can have a multiple computers with one mpvi. Just make sure you keep track of ure most recent files.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by camaross22 View Post
    I have two laptops with hptuners on it. Its all about your mpvi. You can only one mpvi per computer, but you can have a multiple computers with one mpvi. Just make sure you keep track of ure most recent files.
    Actually you can have unlimited mpvi's per computer, how do you think people upgrade from mpvi std to pro or if someone has to have their interface replaced
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Actually you can have unlimited mpvi's per computer, how do you think people upgrade from mpvi std to pro or if someone has to have their interface replaced
    true dat lol at one point I had both my original standard interface and my upgraded pro until the std sold and it was just a matter of changing application key/serial # to swap between them.

I also have hpt on my old & new laptop so yes to using it on multiple machines
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

I know old thread.

But does this still apply to a MPVI3.

I have a MPVI1 and wanting to purchase a MPVI3 so I can do remote tunes without having to buy a licence at my end, just the customers.

Can I run both on one Windows 7 Laptop with SW version 4.8.7?

Thanks Rick

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarylsswapper View Post
    I know old thread.

But does this still apply to a MPVI3.

I have a MPVI1 and wanting to purchase a MPVI3 so I can do remote tunes without having to buy a licence at my end, just the customers.

Can I run both on one Windows 7 Laptop with SW version 4.8.7?

Thanks Rick
    Yes you can run an MPVI3 and MPVI1 on the same pc. MPVI3 will NOT work with software version 4.8.7

Yes you can run an MPVI3 and MPVI1 on the same pc. MPVI3 will NOT work with software version 4.8.7
    Thanks Bill

If i write a tune in 5.0.3 can the customer write it with an older version like 4.8.7?

Rick

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Thanks Bill

If i write a tune in 5.0.3 can the customer write it with an older version like 4.8.7?

Rick
    If they are using an MPVI1, MPVI2 or MPVI2+ device, yes.

If they are using an MPVI1, MPVI2 or MPVI2+ device, yes.
    Thanks Bill.

So to summarize.

If I write tunes and tune revisions in SW Version 5.0.3 and are using a MPVI3 I can save the tune without buying a license.
    I can send the tune to the customer who has to license it on his end in order to write it to his vehicle.
    He can do this with a MPVI, a MPVI2, a MPVI2+ on SW Version 4.8.7 or older.
    If he has a MPVI3 he has to use SW Version 5.0.3 or newer.

But I can't write a tune in 4.8.7 if I have a MPVI3 and save it without buying a license at my end.

Rick
    Last edited by calgarylsswapper; 11-19-2022 at 12:15 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Thanks Bill.

So to summarize.

If I write tunes and tune revisions in SW Version 5.0.3 and are using a MPVI3 I can save the tune without buying a license.
    I can send the tune to the customer who has to license it on his end in order to write it to his vehicle.
    He can do this with a MPVI, a MPVI2, a MPVI2+ on SW Version 4.8.7 or older.
    If he has a MPVI3 he has to use SW Version 5.0.3 or newer.

But I can't write a tune in 4.8.7 if I have a MPVI3 and save it without buying a license at my end.

Rick
    MPVI3 is not compatible with any software built prior to 5.x

Tuner in Training

Software version info?

MPVI3 is not compatible with any software built prior to 5.x
    Bill,

Sorry, but this just raises more questions for me. I was searching for info this morning and I didn't see anything that broke down the different versions and compatibility.

What happens if I upgrade to MPVI3 when all of my material is MPVI2?

James

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What exactly do you mean what happens? During the upgrade process all of your licenses/credits get transferred to an MPVI3 device, we ship you the MPVI3 device, you start tuning with the MPVI3 device.

I think he's worried about the 5.x opening all his older files if i read right? older 'material'. They open into the new version and begin your work etc, but likely not vice versa (new 5.x files in older versions). This is typical of any software out there in any capacity.
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

Tuner in Training
    Newer version files will work a few versions backwards. I was just messing around with versions. I did a scan of my Silverado with a version 5 with the DTC's "grayed out" and was able to load the file into my other laptop with version 4.10 and it read in and I could edit the "grayed out" DTC's. Also the "license" is retained in the MPVI not on the computer. All that is needed is to sync the MPVI to a new computer and it adds the license to that computer. So I keep a version 4.10 on one laptop and the new version 5 on another laptop. Switching to MPVI 3 on the initial connection will go the HPTuner site and grab the license/credits when doing the initial sync. That is how it appears to have worked with my recent laptop experience. I hope this helps.
    Bernie Pella
    [email protected]