Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: LNF New Parameters

Man I wish I could help out and contribute to this but Im hammered with school. The only time I have to work with this, Im trying to get my damn scanner to work. All these PID's are kickin my ass lol

Only time I get to tune is on my way to work and school.
    09 Cobalt SS - 313hp 390tq

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    I tried putting the whole table at 100%, but my stock table had 100's in the 50 and 80% columns anyway. I didn't notice any huge difference, and honestly I can't get any of the new "Load Damping" tables to have any effect on throttle, boost or timing. Setting the master between enable and disable doesn't seem to do anything on my OS.

Good point Term, I also noticed that 255% max in the temp airload table and thought "wth?" If there are hardcoded limits that we won't be able to get around, it makes me think we should be concentrating on the other approaches to getting power out of this ECM. I'm going to post some thoughts below that are NOT directed at you Term, just general thoughts I've been considering gathering and posting and your comment made me think of it again.

So here's a few more things I've discovered about this ECM, it might be obvious to some of you but for others it might shed a little more light...

This ECM is torque based, which means most everything it does is decided by how much torque is requested (by your foot), how much is desired (by throttle angle, boost, timing, etc) and how much is delivered (calculated by map, maf, timing, fuel flow, etc). So once you realize this, making more power can be done by more than one approach.

This is the part I think not everyone realizes. Most try to make more power by raising the requested or desired torque tables, like the DAL's or MALT's. You can also raise power by making the ECM "think" it's not making enough power, or basically it doesn't think it's producing what you're asking for. There's several tables that can do that, some of them are in the newest betas. We've had "Optimum Torque" and "Lambda Efficiency" already, and now we have "Optimum Spark" tables too. These all have a huge effect on power. If you lower the Lambda Efficiency numbers, it will calculate the torque levels lower, thinking it has to make more to match requested. If you raise Optimum Spark numbers, it sees actual ign timing is at, say 30*, you have say 60* in that cell, and the ECM "says" we should be making optimum torque at 60* but we're only at 30* so we need to make more torque by raising timing, boost, throttle, or whatever. As with any of this, BE CAREFUL manipulating some of these tables, you can literally end up going full throttle at 25% pedal position if you put in the wrong numbers. Raising numbers in Optimum Torque will raise delivered torque also. Try cutting the numbers in that table in half and you'll get a good idea of what it does.

Soooo, the cool thing about realizing the power of these other tables is they all compare different things, on different scales. So if you want to manipulate torque by making it think it's producing less at say, a richer mixture only, without effecting leaner mixtures, try working the Lambda Efficiency table. Or the Optimum Torque table, it works similarly to the DAL table, but the DAL table max is 100%, the Opt Torq goes to 210%, so if the DAL table isn't giving you the control you need over a certain rpm or load, try the Opt Torq table. Same idea with the Max Torque tables, you can lower torque with DAL's or MALT's, but what if you only want to lower torque in 1st and 2nd gears? Use the Max Torque vs. RPM vs. Gear table.

Sorry if all this is old news or common sense, I have to believe it isn't old news to everyone. Bottom line is there's more than just DAL's and MALT's in this ECM, and again, there needs to be more discussion so we can all understand more about how all these tables interact. I guarantee NO ONE has a lock on knowing everything there is to know about how these tables effect each other. For a computer with relatively few tables that we have access to, it's amazing how much interaction they all have with each other.

One last thought while I'm rambling... I know for a fact there are MANY more tuners and vendors reading this forum and some of these posts than are responding, why? I know the biggest reason has to be they're too busy doing their own work, but if you have time to read and learn, you should have time to contribute and share! And if you're worried about sharing because maybe you'll be letting your competitors in on your secrets, think about it this way, you'll gain more "secrets" by everyone sharing than you might loose by letting others know what you've learned. In other words, put it out there and you'll get it back ten fold. (Can anyone tell I believe in Karma?!)

And also, if anyone sees something in what I wrote that doesn't seem right or you know is absolutely bogus, let me know. These are my own thoughts and theories and I'm not saying it's all the gospel truth. After all, I didn't build this ECM, I'm assuming a bunch of German dudes did! I'm just trying to figure it out like everybody else in here.
    I made a whole thread discussing how this torque based ecm operates to the best of my knowledge (I have been tuning these cars for three years now)
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31052

I do think I need to clear the air though from a post you made directed towards me in another thread. Just to be very clear I never stole anything from you as I had never seen your cam tables you had until you posted them. In fact I have 3 different sets of cam settings that look nothing lie yours you posted at all. 2 of those three sets I built over two years ago!!! I have found a happy medium between gas mileage and driveability (In fact I have found slight increases in fuel mileage with a slight advance on both intake and exhaust cam angles). Tom (Iam Broke) can confirm everything I have just said. In fact I helped him tune his car when he started over two years ago.
    Last edited by Terminator2; 04-08-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    Pressure Limit for Boost works well. No more 27 psi spikes. Set it at 270 kpa for 24.5 psi. Easier than manipulating 6 tables. lol.
    Do you know how it controls boost? Wastegate only? Any reason not to max out the DAL table and use this to control boost?
    08 SKY Redline
    K&N Drop in
    Catless DP
    GMPP 3Bar MAP sensors
    HPTuned

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rian_human View Post
    Mind sharing some pointers?
    Do you have a specific question?

Advanced Tuner
    Do you know how it controls boost? Wastegate only? Any reason not to max out the DAL table and use this to control boost?
    Yes set the DALs to 255% which is the ECMs limit and set the boost control pressure limit to 266 kPa (24.0 psi at sea level)

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, more precisely, do you mind sharing your cam timing tables?
    Ok Let me post them in the other thread because it more appropriate there.

Tuner in Training
    Term... you get all the E85 figured out for the lnf yet? I am getting my new clutch installed and Treadstone is FINALLY sending me the new lower CP.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox View Post
    Term... you get all the E85 figured out for the lnf yet? I am getting my new clutch installed and Treadstone is FINALLY sending me the new lower CP.
    On higher hp applications the fuel pressure is still dropping to as low as 1500 psi when commanded is 2200 psi so it seems E-47 is still a much better bet overall for the sake of the fuel system and not running the motor lean when the fuel pressure drops. I have one car running full E-85 (he is at 6,000 ft above sea level though) with modded injection timing and slightly raised fuel pressure. He just popped a code and I have not heard back what code it was but it could be a low rail pressure code or possibly an overboost code.
    Last edited by Terminator2; 04-08-2011 at 01:17 PM.

My fully bolted E85 LNF fuel pressure dropped as low as 1000 psi at .95 PE Lambda in a 3k & up hard pull at 24 psi boost. E60 fueling pressure is fine on mine, E47 would give some headroom.

I'm running the stock pressure of 2176 psi commanded in the high load columns. Raising the pressure really didin't help, just made the droop more obvious.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Tuner in Training
    Ok well I may have to hit you up for that 47 tune then term. I am looking into trying to find an extra set of injectors and a pump to take to a local diesel shop to see if they can open them up to increase flow to see if E85 is possible on a stock pump with more flow... just an idea but who knows.

I have one good used injector and one questionable one from my old fuel rail. $100 shipped if you want them.

Also have the fuel rail, harness & pressure sensor if anyone needs it, $150

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox View Post
    Ok well I may have to hit you up for that 47 tune then term. I am looking into trying to find an extra set of injectors and a pump to take to a local diesel shop to see if they can open them up to increase flow to see if E85 is possible on a stock pump with more flow... just an idea but who knows.
    If they can bore it out and add a larger displacement piston to the HPFP and slightly enlarge the inlet and outlet on the pump it should help. Just opening the inlet and outlet will result in decreased fuel velocity which will result in low rail pressure and slow pump response because the pump is fixed displacement and will move only a certain amount of fuel per min no matter how big the inlet and outlet are.

Tuner in Training
    What about the Buick GS pump for ethanol mixtures? That car is supposed to be flex-fuel, right?

I took my cobalt to the track this Wednesday for some tuning and legal fun. The best I could get was 13.32@108 (below average launches and poor traction on very worn factory tires 2.163sec60'). I noticed when looking over my logs later that night the commanded lambda was dipping as low as .71. What is causing that? My COT table matches the one in the LNF tuning guide and my PE table is .88 down the high load column. Another interesting thing was that the desired WG DC was 100% the whole time except during a shift.
    2008 Saturn Sky Redline
    Best 1/4: [email protected]

2009 Cobalt SS/TC Sedan
    Best 1/4: 13.27@105

Both HP tuned and all else stock.

Set the COT table to all 0's or 1's and try it again. I think it's still richening you up.

I just wanted to make sure, but did I read that we can flash the GMPP tune and copy over the stock MAP and Boost sensor info in the engine diagnostics - airflow section to have GMPP without the new TMAPS? (as long as we extend the precision out all the way :P)

Tuner in Training
    Dunno, I'm too afraid to try it again. Especially now that I no longer have a reason to need the GMS1.

Quote Originally Posted by ttypecamaro View Post
    Dunno, I'm too afraid to try it again. Especially now that I no longer have a reason to need the GMS1.
    NLS and the better knock detection. I've been told by other Kappa owners that they have far less reported knock on S1 so we assume they changed the cutoff a bit to get rid of some of the false knock. I don't want to waste a credit if I can't
    Last edited by fr0stb1t3; 04-08-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fr0stb1t3 View Post
    I've been told by other Kappa owners that they have far less reported knock on S1 so we assume they changed the cutoff a bit to get rid of some of the false knock.
    Can't say i noticed this, the nlts if fun though.

I'll test it myself if someone can find me GMPP file 12625953. That is the one for 2008's with the electronic vac assist. I can only find 12625954
    Last edited by fr0stb1t3; 04-08-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fr0stb1t3 View Post
    I'll test it myself if someone can find me GMPP file 12625953. That is the one for 2008's with the electronic vac assist. I can only find 12625954
    That file is for 09+? Where did you find it?
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09