Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: LNF TUNERS: Learn, share and make hp HERE!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    I believe its 10* in the tables for every 1 degree of camshaft change, from what I remember? Could very well be wrong.
    I know a lot of them are that way, like the v8's and the I5's.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Tuner in Training
    How do I find out about something like that? Should I email support?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandion View Post
    How do I find out about something like that? Should I email support?
    Thats the long way. The fast way is to just pick you idle cells, up them all by 10, then look in the scanner at the actual cam angle and see if it changed by 10 or by 1.

Potential Tuner
    So I fixed my 30psi boost spike. I can now hold 24psi all the way to redline with my wastegate set to 95% in the last column. I used to set the p0106 code everytime it spiked. So I look at the map sensor engine diag and the limit was set at 255kpa. So I set it to 300kpa and what do you know, no more boost spike and code. 24psi all the way to 7k. Maybe this might help others. Just my .2 cents

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    Thats the long way. The fast way is to just pick you idle cells, up them all by 10, then look in the scanner at the actual cam angle and see if it changed by 10 or by 1.
    ok, So I tried that. It shows up the exact same in the logs as where I set it in the tune. But, Does that mean the cam is moving 10* or just 10 units of whatever measurement hpt is using? Kinda like the 10 units in hpt = 1* cam angle theory.

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm, isnt there something in the vcm controls that tells you the actual cam angle?

Quote Originally Posted by Marca34 View Post
    So I fixed my 30psi boost spike. I can now hold 24psi all the way to redline with my wastegate set to 95% in the last column. I used to set the p0106 code everytime it spiked. So I look at the map sensor engine diag and the limit was set at 255kpa. So I set it to 300kpa and what do you know, no more boost spike and code. 24psi all the way to 7k. Maybe this might help others. Just my .2 cents
    Interesting, definitely going to have to try this out tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

Tried this out. Whatya know, it works

Except my boost tapers off to about 20-22psi at redline.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Advanced Tuner
    Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted in here for a little while. It looks like you guys have been doing fine without me! I was going to comment on the cam timing questions but ended up forgetting to do it. (Sucks getting old.)

I'll have some more info to pass along in a bit, I've been a little busy lately...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...758-kit-68732/

I'm being a little lazy posting the link here. There's some good info in there so instead of repeating it all here I'll just post the link and anyone that's interested can sift through that thread for info!

Thanks for keeping this thread going!

Wow, looks like it's all working out very well! Good read!

I might have missed it in all that reading, but you're running E85 on this setup?
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Advanced Tuner
    E47 + 50/50 meth.
    Thanks Tom! (Iambroke, Ethanol/LNF pioneer.)

'welcome.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

So what's max timing anyone has put on one of these cars on 50/50?

Advanced Tuner
    24*-26*

Well guess better pump it some more only doing 22.5 right now.

I backed off to 24* after exploding #2 plug (stock HR) for unknown reasons. Could have been detonation but IDK. That was on 60% ethanol. I was ramping it all in by about 3500 rpm also where the load was the highest. Never logged any KR.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    can we see a log of this 7k 24psi run
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    I backed off to 24* after exploding #2 plug (stock HR) for unknown reasons. Could have been detonation but IDK. That was on 60% ethanol. I was ramping it all in by about 3500 rpm also where the load was the highest. Never logged any KR.

I would rather that not happen.

Advanced Tuner
    Soooooo...

I've been thinking about this thread lately, and the fact that it kinda died. I originally started it with the hopes that some of you "professional tuners" out there would step up and share what you've learned so we can all benefit. I'm gonna be painfully blunt here... Either the guys that are doing LNF tunes for money don't really know much, aren't making any new discoveries or they're scared to put those discoveries out there in public for people to see. I'm guessing it's a little of all three of those.

If you don't know that much about tuning LNF's, you probably shouldn't be taking people's money. There are ridiculously few tables available for the LNF, but the interaction between those tables is incredibly complex, much more so than E38's, E40's, E67's, etc. If you think they're simple, you don't know how they interact.

If you're not making new discoveries, you aren't experimenting and pushing yourselves. You're not coming up with theories and ideas and then trying them out to see if your theories are correct. If you can't come up with new discoveries on the LNF, I believe that means you're just taking others ideas and theories and using them for yourselves or for profit. (Sorry, I warned everyone I was going to be brutally blunt.) Like I said, the interactions between tables in the LNF is pretty complicated, there's plenty of room for new discoveries with all of you guys.

Third reason, you're scared to post about these ideas or discoveries... Ok, I can see one somewhat valid reason for that, you don't want the "competitors" to gain an upper hand by using your knowledge. Is LNF tuning that competitive? I don't think so. Everyone seems to think Vince is some sort of g*d and all you other guys have a mostly local customer base. The main vendors mostly only tune when they're selling hardware to go with it. On this subject, IF YOU'RE READING BILL (sorry to shout, I figured he might see it that way!) maybe we need a "Experienced or Professional Tuners Only" forum that's password protected and you need to ask Bill for access to it? That way guys can openly discuss issues and discoveries without worrying about the average Joe trying things that are over his head and blowing motors. Or those average Joe's will still have to go to you professionals to pay for those ideas and discoveries since they aren't out in the public eye. Just a thought.

If you're scared to post some of these discoveries because they might get shot down, well you probably better get a little thicker skin. There's one thing that bugs the cr#p out of me, when things are posted that are NOT correct, and nobody challenges it or sets the record straight. That misinformation is out there forever, sometimes causing many, many people grief because they believe it or try it and it's not true.

Nick (BackYardTurbo), I'm gonna use you for an example, I hope you don't mind! Let me preface this with making very clear how I feel about Nick, he's been a HUGE help to this LNF community. HUGE. Wait, let me make that very clear- HUGE. I respect what he's done to the point of telling a local guy (to Nick) that's looking into doing an EFR turbo that Nick might be the guy to help him with fine tuning once he's back from the vendor with the new turbo.

Here's the example, Nick posted a thread about LNF MAP sensors on the Cobalt forum. His theory is they fail because of oil contamination. I don't totally disagree with that, but I have factual information and experience on exactly why MAP's fail on LNF's, and a lot of the time (not all) it's not about oil. I'd like to let the community know what I know, but I didn't post there because of many reasons. One reason is I'd like use this forum for those kinds of somewhat for "tuners only" discussions. Mostly because the guys on here are more professional and mature, and the chances of someone starting a flame war because I said something that contradicted what they said are way less. (There was a guy on the Kappa forum that hates E85, when I posted there about the truths and benefits of running E85 or a mix of it, he came at me with both barrels! I left that forum and never went back.) Just think if Tom (Iambroke) got blasted for talking about running an Ethanol mix in LNF's on this forum? We would have missed out on a WEALTH of information he provided us all. I felt the same way there, I could have helped those guys, but it just wasn't worth the trouble. BTW, that a-hole that was arguing with me is now RUNNING E85, but having all kinds of problems! HA! Damn Karma!

Sorry for the long rambling, I know it's hard to read posts like this and most will probably just pass over it and move on! This has been kinda bugging me lately though, this thread didn't work out like I was hoping it would. I feel like it would (and somewhat has been) just a thread where I tell people what I'VE learned, so the sharing would just end up being one-way. I almost thought I'd post a new "Tuners Challenge" thread, I have some new discoveries on the LNF, I'll post up a log or bring up a particular table and people can jump in there if they know the answer or solution. Like I'll post a log of a cold start with an even 20* (or 10, or 30, or whatever I want) of ign timing from start to warmup and say, OK guys, let me see your log showing the same thing.

Sorry if the way I've worded this comes off wrong or like I'm being a smart-ass know-it-all. The bottom line for me is I like to teach and share what I know. I've made a half a dozen discoveries lately on the LNF that I can guarantee none of the "Professional" tuners out there know about. I'm just not sure it makes sense for me to come here and dump everything I know in a post or thread. That's not sharing and exchanging, that's me being a teacher. I know they don't get paid much, but I'm not sure the warm, fuzzy feeling I get inside when I help someone is enough for me to spend hours online in a one-way sharing fest.

Thanks for reading all that cr#p^ and let me know what you guys think. Call me a know-it all #ss, I can take it! Just be constructive about it.
    John
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 07-03-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i agree the one thing i feel i know jack shit about is cam timing and no matter who or how i ask people put that shit on top secret. i just want a how to so i can move them for myself and see whats going on ect...

why cant people help those who spend hours trying to understand, we are obviously putting in an asston of time to understand whats going on and if we can also understand then we can share other ideas to try.....

is that way out of line...i dont think so
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman