Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: LNF TUNERS: Learn, share and make hp HERE!

Oh my god, doing this on an iPhone is a pita...

"Can't find boost controller data but have changed the table. Also at a loss doing a histogram. Will try to save a log properly today and post."
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto
    GMTU, TTR Solid Engine Mount and 1" Sway Bar.

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo
    DDMWorks Intake, ZZP Rear Sway Bar.

1972 Chevy Pickup
    L48 350 Holley 650, Weiand Alum Intake Manifold Water Pump and Pulley, Hot cam, 12 Bolt, Headers, Hurst Shifter.

Now for some reason my config files won't save properly. I should say won't open properly on my laptop. Problem at my end I'm sure.
    Here's my first log "fingers crossed".
    Last edited by Victory Red SS; 11-06-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo

1972 Chevy Pickup
    L48 350 Holley 650, Weiand Alum Intake Manifold Water Pump and Pulley, Hot cam, 12 Bolt, Headers, Hurst Shifter.

May throw the K&N in and re-check the fuel trims.
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo

1972 Chevy Pickup

Put the K&N in and got limp home mode. Used to that. I know, tune for it. Need to get better at scanner/histograms first.
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo

1972 Chevy Pickup

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i had to post so you couldnt say you had a whole page of posts to yourself lol
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Ok... so maybe there's a page somewhere that really gets at this, but I haven't read it as far as I can tell.

The issue is I don't own an LNF - but I have a bunch of stuff that I've theorized and need to make sure I understand them. The amount of "testing" time I get is pretty limited... I need to see if I have the concepts right and then after someone has an answer I can share my concepts for someone to mess with.

Injection Timing: What are those values? Are they the point in the combustion cycle that the injectors begin firing? The tables in question - "Injection Angle Hom Double Intake" "IAHD Comp" "IAH Single Low" "IAH Single High". I know that guys running E-blends are using some of these to change fueling properties... I just don't exactly know what they're doing or why. I have an idea for any fueling, but I need to understand it first to know if my concept makes sense.

Cam Timing: I thought I was starting to understand this... but now I'm feeling like a noob again. Every 10 units in HPT moves the intake cam 1*? Every 6 units in HPT moves the exhaust cam 1*? When looking at intake cam timing any movements in the negative value direction will yield the intake cam opening the valves sooner in the combustion cycle? Inversely, any positive movements will move the valve events closer to TDC? The exhaust is basically the opposite - positive movements in timing will move the valve events away from TDC and negative towards TDC?

The way most people are calculating their overlap is by copying and pasting (special add) their exhaust cam timing over their cam timing tables - whatever value remains that is negative is overlap, and any positive values remaining are "breaks" in valvetrain movement?

Sorry if some of these things seem very simple, I just need to check my foundation before I start trying to add new floors. Once I am sure of my concepts I'll post up some of my theoretical ideas on these two things... plus any discussion of these items may really help someone who is new (inj timing is new to me b/c of the new beta anyhow).

Thanks guys. Let's make some power.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBetaFish11 View Post
    Ok... so maybe there's a page somewhere that really gets at this, but I haven't read it as far as I can tell.

The issue is I don't own an LNF - but I have a bunch of stuff that I've theorized and need to make sure I understand them. The amount of "testing" time I get is pretty limited... I need to see if I have the concepts right and then after someone has an answer I can share my concepts for someone to mess with.

Injection Timing: What are those values? Are they the point in the combustion cycle that the injectors begin firing? The tables in question - "Injection Angle Hom Double Intake" "IAHD Comp" "IAH Single Low" "IAH Single High". I know that guys running E-blends are using some of these to change fueling properties... I just don't exactly know what they're doing or why. I have an idea for any fueling, but I need to understand it first to know if my concept makes sense.

Cam Timing: I thought I was starting to understand this... but now I'm feeling like a noob again. Every 10 units in HPT moves the intake cam 1*? Every 6 units in HPT moves the exhaust cam 1*? When looking at intake cam timing any movements in the negative value direction will yield the intake cam opening the valves sooner in the combustion cycle? Inversely, any positive movements will move the valve events closer to TDC? The exhaust is basically the opposite - positive movements in timing will move the valve events away from TDC and negative towards TDC?

The way most people are calculating their overlap is by copying and pasting (special add) their exhaust cam timing over their cam timing tables - whatever value remains that is negative is overlap, and any positive values remaining are "breaks" in valvetrain movement?

Sorry if some of these things seem very simple, I just need to check my foundation before I start trying to add new floors. Once I am sure of my concepts I'll post up some of my theoretical ideas on these two things... plus any discussion of these items may really help someone who is new (inj timing is new to me b/c of the new beta anyhow).

Thanks guys. Let's make some power.
    those are fuel injection tables and values.....the direct injection opens and closes at specific times during the valvetrain cycles if open to late or all the time then there would be a nonstop burn in the cylinder during all cycles of the cam which is a no no. so most of these tables are asking for at what time the fuel injector is desired to be turned on in a value representing an * of crank revolution if i remember correctly.

e-blends or better yet full e may require the adjusting of the injector modifier and ramping of the hpfp desired psi during wot and subsequently limiting some power from down low in wot. BYT has found this out and so far looks to be caused by output issues with the hpf system.

and i believe for cams when you speak of the 10 and 6 values those are just the values at which if entered the cams would be at a 0* position. the overlap is determined as stated and any values going zero or positive are events of cam timing in which there is no or negative overlap(seperation of lobes w/out having any overlap).

on another note since im obviously trying to recall some tuning info i have not touched in a while might as well try to learn more stuff i havent touched yet.

does anyone know how to tune the desired boost section under torque/turbocharger? for instance the turbocharger prop and int gain sections i have heard there is some power there yet i have no idea of what it actually does?
    and say i scale my fuel injectors and now the car starts and idles like shit during cold startup....is there a coldstart fuel adjustment unlocked that i may be overlooking?
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 11-14-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    E85 may also require adjusting the injection timing due to the different flames speed (which makes for different required timing advance) and the different atomization and vaporization properties of ethanol compared to gasoline.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

so more on time because of the slower vaporization props?

so nobody knows how to adjust the turbo traction controll section. im talking about the section labeled desired boost under the traction turbocharger tabs.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    those are fuel injection tables and values.....the direct injection opens and closes at specific times during the valvetrain cycles if open to late or all the time then there would be a nonstop burn in the cylinder during all cycles of the cam which is a no no. so most of these tables are asking for at what time the fuel injector is desired to be turned on in a value representing an * of crank revolution if i remember correctly.

e-blends or better yet full e may require the adjusting of the injector modifier and ramping of the hpfp desired psi during wot and subsequently limiting some power from down low in wot. BYT has found this out and so far looks to be caused by output issues with the hpf system.

and i believe for cams when you speak of the 10 and 6 values those are just the values at which if entered the cams would be at a 0* position. the overlap is determined as stated and any values going zero or positive are events of cam timing in which there is no or negative overlap(seperation of lobes w/out having any overlap).
    Ok, so the 10 is the intake "0" and -6 is the exhaust "0." So if you're looking at cam timing tables and the intake says "10*" at some value, that is infact the intake cam opening @ TDC - as compared to a "0" value which would actually indicate that it was opening 10* BTDC? And the same for the exhaust cam, but input "-6"?

So... to calculate overlap on the cam tables you can take the values in the actual tables and on the intake table subtract 10 and on the exhaust table add 6 and that will tell you the "real" timing changes from TDC? So then if you wanted to calculate the overlap in the setup you could then take those "real" timing changes and paste them on one another... negative values indicating overlap, positive indicating none?

Do I have that all straight now?

As far as injection timing... I thought I had the concept correct. My only thing I don't follow then is that when looking at an e-blend map I see that the injection angles are getting moved closer to 360, not farther? In my mind I would've thought that if on an e-blend or straigh e tune you'd need to start injecting fuel as early as possible to make up for the 15-33% you're trying to overcome? It seems to be exactly the opposite though?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    does anyone know how to tune the desired boost section under torque/turbocharger? for instance the turbocharger prop and int gain sections i have heard there is some power there yet i have no idea of what it actually does?

and say i scale my fuel injectors and now the car starts and idles like shit during cold startup....is there a coldstart fuel adjustment unlocked that i may be overlooking?
    I'm not exactly sure what the tables mean... I do know that pressure RPM factor will net some increase in boost. I'm not exactly sure how it works to tell you the truth. I've also heard of people messing with Proportional Max. Again... I'm not really sure what it means, but same results. I'm sure if you mess with all of the "gains" of the same titles there may be a way to hold even more-er boost?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBetaFish11 View Post
    Ok, so the 10 is the intake "0" and -6 is the exhaust "0." So if you're looking at cam timing tables and the intake says "10*" at some value, that is infact the intake cam opening @ TDC - as compared to a "0" value which would actually indicate that it was opening 10* BTDC? And the same for the exhaust cam, but input "-6"?

So... to calculate overlap on the cam tables you can take the values in the actual tables and on the intake table subtract 10 and on the exhaust table add 6 and that will tell you the "real" timing changes from TDC? So then if you wanted to calculate the overlap in the setup you could then take those "real" timing changes and paste them on one another... negative values indicating overlap, positive indicating none?

Do I have that all straight now?

As far as injection timing... I thought I had the concept correct. My only thing I don't follow then is that when looking at an e-blend map I see that the injection angles are getting moved closer to 360, not farther? In my mind I would've thought that if on an e-blend or straigh e tune you'd need to start injecting fuel as early as possible to make up for the 15-33% you're trying to overcome? It seems to be exactly the opposite though?
    from what i remember reading about those doing overlap calculations yes you are correct. you add or subtract the additional ammount which would represent the camshafts starting from the origionally installed o* no adv/no ret position.

i dont tune myself since im clueless and dont want to take a chance destroying my motor but this is a great thread with a lot of potential. if only everyone jumped onboard so we could fully utilize our engines potential then everybody from the stock turbo (like me) to the crazy and wild like the compound turbo setup can get the maxium, safest power with the least amount of headache and time spent tuning. heres to all you pioneers making life easier for the rest of us.
    2008 Sky RL

I did a small experiment the other day and tried the stock cam tables and then tried GMtech's tables that are in the 2nd link on the first page. I had my stft's at about 1-2% and did a 5.0 sec 60-100 pull on stock tables. Then tried the other tables and my stft's went off by 6-7% and ran a 5.6 sec 60-100. By changing these tables, will it throw off the fuel trims by that much?

I'm still learning on these cam tables so I am trying different things to get the most power out of the car.

From my understanding you want less overlap during WOT, correct? So that would mean you want the number to be positive?

And now I am a little confused after reading, but do we add the 6 to the exhaust cam or subtract it? I read two different things on that and now I'm not sure which I do.

iirc from having my head on the flowbench a long time ago the exhaust ports flow less than the intake which is why you see good tunes with lots of exhaust cam changes. we have more effect/gains with the exhaust cam than the intake.

How far should we take these cam tables? My Intake Cam table goes to -25* in the cruising cells and at WOT goes from -15 up to -5 at 6000 rpm's. And Exhaust Cam table is 25 in cruising and starts at 12 down to 5 in the WOT cells. These are the furthest I have taken these. Any suggestions on what to do?

you dont need to move them very far at wot use the maf lbs and ve lbs to figure out what your car needs. we have all been getting a ton of different results. there is an e85 thread that has nice cams in it. if you find it start with those.