Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: LNF TUNERS: Learn, share and make hp HERE!

I certainly understand your frustration, lots to learn again.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner
    Tom,

I'm having the same problem as you... Most I've gotten it to hold is 80-85%
    Climbed to 25psi with 245 high end DALs and it was very linear.

Here's what I'm working with:
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    That's where the injector constant and fuel mass changes help. Someone with brains needs to figure out the inj constant for E85. Would we add 30% or reduce it?

When I had the Inj compensation on the TF layer it helped the cold starts a lot. Try a double prime next time. Key on, key off, key on then start.

Down side of changing the inj constant is the DIC will display MPG's 30% high on the inst and avg over actual. The compensation doesn't get passed along to the BCM.

I was really afraid you would have fueling issues as I did. No point to decreasing power to run full E85 IMO.

I already did that Mr Tom. You add 15% for 1:1 and 30 for full E85. All this does is change the injector scaling to compensate instead of using the MAF. It still didn't help any of my fueling other then the cold starts were a lil better.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    I already did that Mr Tom. You add 15% for 1:1 and 30 for full E85. All this does is change the injector scaling to compensate instead of using the MAF. It still didn't help any of my fueling other then the cold starts were a lil better.

Nick,

So that I'm no longer "raping" my MAF, would you say to multiply the current constant by 15%? Would other changes need to be made as well?

Make sure you have the duty cycle max below the correction table set to 100 or 95.

This is mine from my car now, I have the boost ramping up from 18psi to 25. My DAL is 300 flat down the right column.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    Nick,

So that I'm no longer "raping" my MAF, would you say to multiply the current constant by 15%? Would other changes need to be made as well?
    Just taking the MAF freq or correction out. You will see the MPG displays increase in error by 15% though.

Nick - I have 95 to 100% in the max columns of both, no improvement up top.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    Just taking the MAF freq or correction out. You will see the MPG displays increase in error by 15% though.
    Any benefit in shifting the correction to the injector constant versus the MAF freq/correction? Thanks for the tip Tom.

I'm having a whole new problem that I know must be a simple fix that my dumb ass is missing...

I adjusted some wastegate controls and worked some of the desired boost (psi) and (%) and now when I do a third gear pull it enters the granny mode right as I'm coming up to redline....

I'll have no boost until I shut the car off and turn it back on again.

When I did this pull it spike to about 27 psi and then settled to about 24-25 holding steady but then I heard the bpv go offand the throttle closed. What the hell?!

Advanced Tuner
    Any benefit in shifting the correction to the injector constant versus the MAF freq/correction? Thanks for the tip Tom.
    That was it thinks its seeing 30% more air than it actually is while doing the injector constant makes it think its giving 30% less fuel than it actually is. Either way is fine but if you ever try to analyze your ve and airflow amounts based on the tune they're going to be skewed by 30%. I've never delt with the lnf at all or very much maf tuning in general but thats how it see as working.

I love these kinds of threads BTW.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

So I just realized by re-reading everything that I need to change my proportional max to read 165 kPh (23.9 psi) and adjust my DAL a bit to get rid of that 27 psi spike and to properly read 24 psi...

This should get rid of the car going into that nanny mode, no?

P.S. My Overboost is set to 10500 rpm so it's not that.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    That was it thinks its seeing 30% more air than it actually is while doing the injector constant makes it think its giving 30% less fuel than it actually is. Either way is fine but if you ever try to analyze your ve and airflow amounts based on the tune they're going to be skewed by 30%. I've never delt with the lnf at all or very much maf tuning in general but thats how it see as working.

Thanks Leafy. That's what I was thinking too, the only trade off would be airflow calcs versus MPG calcs. One thing I wonder though is if torque calculations are also skewed because of the airflow skew?

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin85 View Post
    So I just realized by re-reading everything that I need to change my proportional max to read 165 kPh (23.9 psi) and adjust my DAL a bit to get rid of that 27 psi spike and to properly read 24 psi...

This should get rid of the car going into that nanny mode, no?

P.S. My Overboost is set to 10500 rpm so it's not that.
    Are you sure you have all of your over/under boost nannys taken care of?

Are you sure you have all of your over/under boost nannys taken care of?
    Um, yes?

I'm actually not aware of the others. When I was learning how to tune this and even downloaded a file from the repository that's the only one I knew to change. I never had a problem...

I must have missed it.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Tom and others having the boost duty cycle issue of not going to 95% here's a couple thoughts...

Just about every other ECM I've worked with uses MAF for torque calculations. If you skew the MAF, you also effect the timing, throttle, torque management, trans, etc. I've been told (thanks Dave from DDMWorks!) that the auto trans LNF's shift horribly when you skew the MAF, which makes perfect sense because it also does that on the E38's/T43's.
    I'm still skewing my MAF to compensate for the E47, and if anything I've been fighting too much boost. I ended up with some logs with boost pegged at 30psi when I was messing around with these new boost tables! I'm wondering if changing the fuel mass and putting the MAF skew back to stock is causing some of these issues?

The other things to check are Optimum Torque, Optimum Timing, Max Torque/Gear, Lambda Efficiency and of course Malts and DAL's. ALL of these effect boost, timing and throttle. If you want to post screen shots of those tables, or let me know which one's are stock and maybe I can figure it out. There's obviously something different in my tune because the numbers I put in the duty cycle correction table are exactly what I've been seeing in the logs.

Remember, this ECM is TOTALLY torque based, there's a dozen tables that really can screw up boost, timing or throttle. I can tell you some numbers to put in the Optimum Spark table that will make your car go full throttle and full boost by only pushing the pedal 1/4 way down! Kinda scary to drive that way!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin85 View Post
    Um, yes?

I'm actually not aware of the others. When I was learning how to tune this and even downloaded a file from the repository that's the only one I knew to change. I never had a problem...

I must have missed it.
    Engine Diag, under airflow should be all the settings. That the place you changed things?

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Hey Tom and others having the boost duty cycle issue of not going to 95% here's a couple thoughts...

Just about every other ECM I've worked with uses MAF for torque calculations. If you skew the MAF, you also effect the timing, throttle, torque management, trans, etc. I've been told (thanks Dave from DDMWorks!) that the auto trans LNF's shift horribly when you skew the MAF, which makes perfect sense because it also does that on the E38's/T43's.
    I'm still skewing my MAF to compensate for the E47, and if anything I've been fighting too much boost. I ended up with some logs with boost pegged at 30psi when I was messing around with these new boost tables! I'm wondering if changing the fuel mass and putting the MAF skew back to stock is causing some of these issues?

The other things to check are Optimum Torque, Optimum Timing, Max Torque/Gear, Lambda Efficiency and of course Malts and DAL's. ALL of these effect boost, timing and throttle. If you want to post screen shots of those tables, or let me know which one's are stock and maybe I can figure it out. There's obviously something different in my tune because the numbers I put in the duty cycle correction table are exactly what I've been seeing in the logs.

Remember, this ECM is TOTALLY torque based, there's a dozen tables that really can screw up boost, timing or throttle. I can tell you some numbers to put in the Optimum Spark table that will make your car go full throttle and full boost by only pushing the pedal 1/4 way down! Kinda scary to drive that way!
    Thanks John. Gonna have to give the injector constant a shot then and see how things go. Makes a ton of sense with regard to skewing the MAF. Wife is dragging me to bed but will update tomorrow with more details.

John beat me to it T-Man, sleep got in the way. I run E60 with a custom intake that used to need -12 to -14 pulled out of the MAF freq to zero out LTFT's, Running E60 inj constant is stock and MAF freq is stock.

Still can't get 95% WG DC up top John, I see it go to 100% as boost builds, but tapers as shown in yesterdays screenshot. I might not be holding enough load to keep it up there.

All the tables I can find are 95 to 100% up above 4k RPM. Had them all at 100% all the way up in the highest column for yesterdays pull but cut the midrange some to try and kill the boost spike. We'll see.

Trimmed the boost spike to 25 psi, that's good but still tapering off WG DC up top into the mid 70%'s.

Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post

That's the way it looks to me L.

Have you tried the table like mine above? I have no issue with getting 100%

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    Have you tried the table like mine above? I have no issue with getting 100%
    No chance to yet, real life gets in the way. I can hit 100% but not hold it. I'll try tomorrow probably unless I get off at 3:30p then maybe tonight.