Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E85 Tune for the I6 Vortec 4200 (4.2L)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    To add a gauge, go to the gauge display, Right click go to add, and when the thing comes up choose the idc pid from the pid list.
    This^

That is what the forums are supposed to be for, to get help. Let us know if there is anything else.

Tuner
    Ok family, I have HP Tuner Pro
    Truck 2008 TBSS LS2 AWD ,K@N up front,Flowmaster catback w/duals
    Stock no tune yet
    I want to post my data logging to get input on tuning and what is really going on in my engine.
    I will get a WB O2 next week..
    Then I will make changes to my tables etc.
    Just click on each one..

Advanced Tuner
    e85 on a turbo ls2 is probally going to need 80lb injectors, also you are in the wrong forum sections pretty much lol, you should hit up the v8 sections.

Tuner
    I did pick up some things on my stft and date logs so cool. 80 lb injectors wow
    Turbo size 60's or low 70's HP goal 550-650 at crank I will post my information on the V8section

Thanks,
    Mr. 2008 SS

Apparently my fuel level sensor might be bad in my vehicle. It's saying I have 84.1 gallons remaining. Lol. I have a 21.6 gallon tank. Oops

Injector duty cycle looked to be 3% mostly, but changed up to 13% at times. Is that a good thing?

Advanced Tuner
    Are you logging the gallons remaining? Do you have the equation correct?

Depending on load the IDC will change. When is it at 3% when is it at 13%?

Yes, logging gallons. I just used the PID, and didn't enter and equations actually.

I believe the IDC was highest during big hills and points where the engine was under alot of work.
    I'll review my log in a bit or just post it here.

Advanced Tuner
    Well it would make sense that the IDC went up then. You are mainly concerned about it when you are WOT. That is going to tell you if you are maxing the injectors due to the new fuel.

Advanced Tuner
    No way you should see 13% as a max unless you didnt step on it at all and were just cruising around. The I6 stock injectors arent huge, and especially running E85 you should be north of 80% when under WOT with E85. Just a guess here, I see 75%+ IDC on 91 octane at WOT.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Advanced Tuner
    ^I am guessing it was still a part throttle pull up the hill. I agree with you. I am guessing he will be north of 90 if you are at 75%... Just a guess.

The 13% max drive was on highway, and on some hills. I'll take another long drive soon and scan. 13% at my normal driving is cool with me if that's accurate. I'll WOT it and get hard into the accelerator next time to see what happens.

Just saw my first significant mpg drog to 13.8 mpg. OUCH!

Maybe gonna try 10.5 AFR and see what happens. If I keep getting this bad mpg, I'm gonna end up going back to 87 octane and doing something fuel saving tunewise with that.

Either way, gas prices suck.

Also noticed today and another day before that after starting my vehicle, it feels like it's going to stall, and somewhat shakes for a moment or two. Then goes back to running normal. This is still with the 9.7AFR. Just on rare occasion, not all the time.

Is there anything else I can do to help my MPG with E85 (I realize that Ethanol doesn't get near the mileage that gas does, but I can't live with 13.8 mpg all the time). Like change the AFR to 10.5 or maybe 11 and seeing if it runs lean or runs ok?

Advanced Tuner
    http://e85prices.com/milesperdollar.htm

Enter the numbers into the calculator and actually see the difference in price/mpg. It is very close for my vehicle, although gas is the better value, it shows you the reduction of green house gas becuase of the use of E85. lol

If you really cant swallow the loss in gas mileage and still want a little benefit to E85 do a 50 50 blend of E85. Still get the to add some timing up top and get a little better gas mileage.

Thanks HNR.

I did change AFR to 10.5 this time and so far no issues. In fact, I haven't gotten the little bit of "stalling" feeling from the vehicle while being at idle yet with it.

I'm going to use that calculator and see how I fair up. If it's even, or close, I'll probably go back to 87 octane and completely start over tuning.

Tuner
    Any up date on the E-85 tunes?

Thanks,
    Mr. 2008 SS

Yesterday I had my first issue with E85.

I started the vehicle, which was very slow starting. It was 39 degrees out so I don't know if this would be considered a "cold start" for E85. The 2nd time, the vehicle started up and stalled. I started up again and 3rd time was a charm, it started.

As I started out of my driveway and up a small hill to the road, my vehicle lost power and stopped in the middle of the hill. I had to put it in reverse, back it down, and rev the engine a little bit. Then the vehicle got its power back and made it up the hill.

It's been just a bit sluggish on hills lately. This is my 3rd tank of 100% E85. Still the 9.765 AFR. No other changes to the tune.

Any suggestions, or does anyone know why this just all of the sudden happened?

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe go to the ect spark modifier table and give it more spark advance across the reg range when the engine is cold? If you have that table.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Note to self: Learn methods to modify spark tables and know when to add, etc.

Advanced Tuner
    I am guessing you are very rich and losing power. My car did that when my car went below 7.4 gas AFR which is rich as Fu*k. lol