Thread: E85 cold starts

E85 cold starts

Found a dumb trick that does seem to work for me, try it.

Turn the key on but dont start it, let the pump shut off, turn the key off and back on and then start it. I haven't had any weird cold starts since doing this

Almost like priming the engine a bit. Sounds like a good idea. I like it.

I posted this a few months ago. Glad you found it works. Double shot prime.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Do you guys have access to your pump prime time? You might try adding more prime time to it. I know on the LS applications, that prime time is set to 2s.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Do you guys have access to your pump prime time? You might try adding more prime time to it. I know on the LS applications, that prime time is set to 2s.
    Nope no pump prime time settings.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, we just got a ton more tables but don't have tha one steck. Its definatly not on the list as a priority lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Put a pressure gauge on the fuel fitting and make sure your check valve in the pump is holding. VERY common problem to have extended crank symptoms and no other symptoms when the pump won't hold pressure overnight. I know E85 is harder to start on cold, but make sure you don't have an actual problem and don't know it. Fuel pressure should be somewhere around 70psi after the 2 second prime, then hold above at least 50 or so for at least 5 minutes or so. If pressure continues to drop after the 2 second prime, you have a bad pump.

Mine starts rough in the cold on e85 and also it seems like a engine block warmer would work but if you turn they key on hear the fuel pump kick on crank it , turn it off , restart it it starts but otherwise it takes some cranking power , kind of bad on the starter if you let it crank it self 20 seconds with no fire.. Or it fires in the middle of cranking dies starter kicks back in and grinds ...

should be ok this summer.

Would all of these cars reporting problems in cold weather have bad pumps , I know of a few from the factory with bad ones but ... very interesting ..
    If we are talking HPFP that is not a cheap part to be replacing all the time ..
    Last edited by BowTieTillIDie; 04-14-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    Found a dumb trick that does seem to work for me, try it.

Turn the key on but dont start it, let the pump shut off, turn the key off and back on and then start it. I haven't had any weird cold starts since doing this
    This is similar to my findings , I can get it to start by priming it cranking it shut it off , restart , I know that sounds weird but its what I gotta do in cold weather.

I had an issue yesterday in 39 degree weather. Don't know if this is considered "cold" or not. First crank, nothing. Second crank, started and stalled right away. Third crank, it started up but when I pulled out of my driveway immediately and started going up a small hill, my vehicle lost all power, and I had to back down the hill, rev the engine a little, and then my vehicle regained power to pull the hill. First time that ever happened to me. This was on my 3rd tank of 100% E85 with the tune changed to 9.765 AFR, and no other changes.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINKP View Post
    I had an issue yesterday in 39 degree weather. Don't know if this is considered "cold" or not. First crank, nothing. Second crank, started and stalled right away. Third crank, it started up but when I pulled out of my driveway immediately and started going up a small hill, my vehicle lost all power, and I had to back down the hill, rev the engine a little, and then my vehicle regained power to pull the hill. First time that ever happened to me. This was on my 3rd tank of 100% E85 with the tune changed to 9.765 AFR, and no other changes.
    Ive corrected that in mine with Cranking VE (I think that is what it is). Mine starts perfect in any weather.