Thread: Checksum validation failure? Whats that?

Tuner

Checksum validation failure? Whats that?

2005 Chevy SSR, and it tells me "Checksum validation failure" Please try to read VCM again. Ive tried 4 times, with the same results. Any ideas what this means? Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Means the pcm was likely previously tuned and the checksums corrupted, tech 2 to stock should fix.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    This has never been tuned before. Whats tech 2 to stock?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicstang View Post
    This has never been tuned before. Whats tech 2 to stock?
    If thats the line they are telling you either they are lying or it was tuned before they took ownership and just didn't know the history but if theres a checksum issue theres a checksum issue which means it was previously toyed with either in hex or with tuning software such as SCT or diablosport which I believe both just disable the checksums on GM applications rather than calculating them. Maybe they(or the previous owner) had a diablosport handheld and just didn't tell them

Would'nt be the first time the original owner didn't give the whole truth to the person buying the car...

Tuner
    The owner bought it new, and swears it has never been touched. I was told by SCT that he's seen cheap scanners do this.
    Anyhoo, I sent him to the dealership to get a reflash, then come back. thanks for your help.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I don't think a scanner can do this, pretty sure the only way the checksums can be screwed up is via flashing with a file that has the checksums disabled, etc.

Tuner in Training
    So, found out that the Chevy dealer had to reflash the ECM on his truck before he could take it with 6 miles on the odometer! They must have done something to it then. ANyway, I had GM do a reflash and its all good. The only problem is, the speedometer wont change, no matter what I use as a tire size and final ratio. He went from 3.73s to 4.56, and the rate of inaccuracy stays the same. I even stuck in a wildly large tire diameter with no luck. Anyone heard of this?