Thread: scanner disconnects, narrowed down issue

Advanced Tuner

scanner disconnects, narrowed down issue

ok, so no matter what, there is something up with this laptop that causes the scanner to disconnect about 3-5 mins into a scan.

Note. i can use the standalone feature all day long.

my laptop was dieing today so i busted out the 300w blackndecker inverter to charge the laptop.

no flashing with the inverter plugged in because ive read the warning. but i used it while scanning and i was able to scan over 90,000 frames.

ive done multple reformats of win 7, ive tried every version of hptuners and this seems to be the issue.

my laptop running off battery only logs for 3-5 mins. but on adaptor power it scans all day!

reaching out to some of the windows guru's, are there any settings i can change in windows so nothing changes from adaptor power to battery? maybe its the core throttling?

please help.

-Carl

Potential Tuner
    Check your power settings (I believe they are in the control panel) some computers have options to turn off the USB ports, I also noticed in the bios set up on my Dell 4400 that I can set the power level (in amps) on the USB ports while operating on battery, this is to limit how much drain is on the computer from charging cell phones or using accessories (like yor hptuner VCM!). Some things to check! Also how long have you been using this battery, they seem to lose capacity rather quickly these days. Hope this helps.

I have a problem with the USB cables over time don't make a good connection at the MPVI interface. Typically not at the computer, as it's done the same thing with several different computers. I always keep a couple spare USB cables for this reason. The cheapy ones from Amazon last about 6mo.-1year which isn't bad for a 5 dollar cable.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    $1 6ft cable here lol
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    its not cables or anything, i found a couple usb power settings that i disabled, need to check to see if they worked.

Potential Tuner
    Did resetting the USB power settings work?

I just upgraded to the MPVI2+ and the latest 4.10.5 Solid and Beta version and I am having this EXACT same problem! I can not track it down. Maybe someone else has had to deal with this before!!
    Please post if you have or fixed this issue.

I've experienced the same problem today too. I have a brand new MPVI2+ and it keeps disconnecting from the scanner after just a couple of seconds. I'm not usually able to log even a first gear acceleration. Cable connection itself is OK, the laptop doesn't make any disconnect/connect noises and is running just from the battery.
    Once in a while, it throws an error message either saying that it cannot connect to MPVI or that my software is out of date and must be updated. During the whole logging session, the computer wasn't connected to internet at all.
    Last edited by Trinom; 11-18-2021 at 12:45 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadSlug View Post
    I just upgraded to the MPVI2+ and the latest 4.10.5 Solid and Beta version and I am having this EXACT same problem! I can not track it down. Maybe someone else has had to deal with this before!!
    Please post if you have or fixed this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinom View Post
    I've experienced the same problem today too. I have a brand new MPVI2+ and it keeps disconnecting from the scanner after just a couple of seconds. I'm not usually able to log even a first gear acceleration. Cable connection itself is OK, the laptop doesn't make any disconnect/connect noises and is running just from the battery.
    Once in a while, it throws an error message either saying that it cannot connect to MPVI or that my software is out of date and must be updated. During the whole logging session, the computer wasn't connected to internet at all.
    All of the above are MPVI1 users. With that said try a new USBC cable if you are having connection issues, cheapest easiest test you can do.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"