Thread: Upgrade Fuel Pump GTP (E85)

Upgrade Fuel Pump GTP (E85)

I have a 2003 GTP and im unsure on the correct fuel pump i need to run E85. Im understanding i need the Venturi style pump because this is for my 2003. Any 2001+ GTP on here that went E85 what fuel pump you running?
    2003 Galaxy Silver Limited Edition GTP
    Mods: 2.8 MPS | S2IC | XP CAM | GEN V | 65# | E85 | TOGS | N* TB | HPT PRO | Impala Brakes | BUILT TRANS w/3.29 GRS

2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 6.2
    Mods: HPT PRO

Potential Tuner
    Stock pump

Advanced Tuner
    if your looking for an upgraded pump a lot of people will go to the walbro 255lph like racetronics , zzp ,etc... sell.

I have not run straight e85 but have a pump in place that should handle it at my mod level - I bought a 255lph from the racers edge (TRE) on ebay for like $79 shipped and installed it in the cannister myself , 2001 is a plastic tank car so racetronics doesnt offer a drop in , the drop ins are only for metal tank cars.

if you look on the drivers side of your plastic tank you will see "FFV" on a label on the tank if it hasnt worn off , the plastic tanks and cannisters that fit in them were in place before the w body impalas got offered as flex fuel
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    if your looking for an upgraded pump a lot of people will go to the walbro 255lph like racetronics , zzp ,etc... sell.

I have not run straight e85 but have a pump in place that should handle it at my mod level - I bought a 255lph from the racers edge (TRE) on ebay for like $79 shipped and installed it in the cannister myself , 2001 is a plastic tank car so racetronics doesnt offer a drop in , the drop ins are only for metal tank cars.

if you look on the drivers side of your plastic tank you will see "FFV" on a label on the tank if it hasnt worn off , the plastic tanks and cannisters that fit in them were in place before the w body impalas got offered as flex fuel
    So your saying i a flex fuel impala pump will work?
    Mods: 2.8 MPS | S2IC | XP CAM | GEN V | 65# | E85 | TOGS | N* TB | HPT PRO | Impala Brakes | BUILT TRANS w/3.29 GRS

I converted a buddys 2000 grand prix se we did a top swap on and hes been running it for 2 years now on e85 and the stock pump

So your saying my stock 2003 pump is big enough to support E85 and my 2.8 pulley????

Potential Tuner
    My stock pump and 65# injectors have no problem pushing enough fuel to run a 7:1 afr on a 2.9 pulley. You're moving more air than me, but there's no reason to be running as rich as i did with a rough tune. I assume you won't be running those 42#'s, and as I'm sure you already know, you'll go through a few fuel filters at first which could affect flow until all the gunk in your tank and lines is flushed out.
    2003 GTP - Headers, VS cam, 3.0, N*, E85, other little stuff

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpo View Post
    So your saying i a flex fuel impala pump will work?
    no I am saying you have the plastic tank that ended up later being used for the FFV impala and since the cannister had to change to fit the new tank by default it stands to reason that the canister is e85 compatible also - I am saying you have many e85 compatible components since you have an 01 - not that it seems to be much of an issue with earlier cars

you should check out the "ethanol experiment" threads in the lnf section (I4 , I5 ,I6 ) its right below this v6 section and those guys crept up on the percentage of ethanol they ran , if you do that and watch your duty cycles ( and wideband afr/lambda) then dont change pump or injectors unless/until you are over 80% DC - if you can get to straight e85 without maxing DC's then your pump & injectors are fine.
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Alright i guess ill give my stock pump a chance before i go any further.

What are my chances that my stock pump is going to work with E85? I know one guy on heres says he did but im told theres no way on club gp. What do you guys think?

My car has ran on e85 with stock pump and dyno'd at 330 whp. BUT as soon i became owner of it i put in a PRJ fuel pump. Its a spendyer pump but i like it and works good. 60 to 65 psi ALL the time. Your mods are the same as mine so IMO i would do it.

Good to know it is possible. My dad owns an Auto Repair shop so im just waiting for a 97-2000 GTP to come rolling through the door that needs a fuel pump so i dont have to spend any money on it. Meanwhile i see no harm in throwing some 65# injectors and give E85 a try on my stock pump. My only issue right now is i cant get my LTFT to lock in at zero. My idle and cruise fuel trims are perfect but when i go WOT everytime i lock in at +7. Is this a sign my stock pump is already not big enough or i suppose i may just have a vaccum leak.
    Last edited by Lumpo; 05-03-2011 at 12:28 AM.

My only issue right now is i cant get my LTFT to lock in at zero. My idle and cruise fuel trims are perfect but when i go WOT everytime i lock in at +7. Is this a sign my stock pump is already not big enough or i suppose i may just have a vaccum leak.
    At idle what vac cum are you reading (If you have a boost gauge this will tell you)? I see right around 16-17 at idle but im on a 2.8 pulley too. When you start the car (cold start) does it idle smooth or jump up and down?

Quote Originally Posted by glanzergtx View Post
    At idle what vac cum are you reading (If you have a boost gauge this will tell you)? I see right around 16-17 at idle but im on a 2.8 pulley too. When you start the car (cold start) does it idle smooth or jump up and down?
    Fixed! I was looking at my vaccuum lines today and one was in pretty bad shape once i fixed it did a quick MAF tune and fuel trims are 100% better. My 65# injectors will be here tomorrow so im going to swap them in and get a full tank of E85 and do it again tomorrow. Cant wait to see what E85 is going to do for me. Do you guys think i will be ok with my stock fuel filter for the first tank of E85 then switch to the 2004 flex fuel tahoe filter after?
    Last edited by Lumpo; 05-03-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Just to give an update on my situation. I just got back after tuning my AFR and it couldnt have worked out better. Im holding 11.5 WOT AFR with 24* timing. STOCK PUMP IS BIG ENOUGH! So before you guys upgrade your fuel pumps give your stock pump a chance im glad i did.

Just to give an update on my situation. I just got back after tuning my AFR and it couldnt have worked out better. Im holding 11.5 WOT AFR with 24* timing. STOCK PUMP IS BIG ENOUGH! So before you guys upgrade your fuel pumps give your stock pump a chance im glad i did.
    Nice work. I replaced mine because thats all i need when im doing a WOT in high rpm and the pump desides to go south and go lean and pop a piston. ya i wouldnt like that.

Quote Originally Posted by glanzergtx View Post
    Nice work. I replaced mine because thats all i need when im doing a WOT in high rpm and the pump desides to go south and go lean and pop a piston. ya i wouldnt like that.
    Yeah i hear ya. Im always watching KR so if i start seeing KR ill look into replacing the pump. Im really curious to see what im going to run in 1/4 mile. I have never taken my car there since i owned it.