Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MAF vs. Airflow Freq Question

Your log is showing fuel trims and they are changing, so you are in closed loop. You need to be in open loop to tune with AFR error.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

is that not the "MAF Tuning.cfg" file?

Someone on the css.net forum mentioned to turn off the DFCO and closed loop in the scanner, reset fuel trims and should be good to go. Sounds right?

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

*The most powerful designs are always the result of a continuous process of simplification and refinement.*

Your stoich ratio is not set at 9.70 according your log file. It is showing a 14.7 commanded afr. Your scanner could use a little work got stuff that doesn't log. I am guessing you noticed this but your fuel trims are pretty far off right now.

why would i want it at 9.7? As for my trims, when i VE tuned they were spot on. Could use some more work i guess

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

*The most powerful designs are always the result of a continuous process of simplification and refinement.*

Your first post said your stoich was set to 9.7.

that was someone else lol.. i chimed in on this thread rather than making another

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

O sorry about that I should have been paying attention.

Is my PID wrong for MAF error? Cuz i went for another log, this time i disabled my DFCO, turned off closed loop in my scanner, reset fuel trims and still got something bogus. The whole time i was driving every time my foot was on the throttle whether 1% or whatever the AFR pegged at 10.. Here are some snapshots and files of my tune and the log i just made.

Editor with DFCO disabled

MAF error

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

Quote Originally Posted by thebucky84 View Post
    is that not the "MAF Tuning.cfg" file?
    No. Need the vcm scanner.cfg too.

Someone on the css.net forum mentioned to turn off the DFCO and closed loop in the scanner, reset fuel trims and should be good to go. Sounds right?
    well the trims were active in that log and they are very negative. So you do not have closed loop disabled or trims reset. Without disabling closed loop you are chasing your tail.
    Bill Winters

I swear I hit reset fuel trims and clicked on "off" on the closed loop in the scanner. The off button was even highlighted red. So I dunno what's up. Does my equation for the maf error look correct?

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

After a curtain amount of time driving with the fuel trims turned off with the button it will reenabled it's self. You go under open and closed loop tab and think first to tables you put 1.00 across the board and change the temps in same tab to what ever max is.

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    No. Need the vcm scanner.cfg too.

well the trims were active in that log and they are very negative. So you do not have closed loop disabled or trims reset. Without disabling closed loop you are chasing your tail.
    ooooh, those trims you see are not accurate. When I was VE tuning i had to make new histos since those were corrupt. Take a look at tab #8, that is where i have LTFT+STFT histo.

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

I don't have to use your config to know that fuel trims are active in that log. So if you were trying to do AFR error tuning when you took that log it's not going to work. Based on the trims the tune is way off. It would probably be best to do some closed loop/fuel trim tuning first.
    Bill Winters

so basically VE tune again or is closed loop/fuel trim tuning completely different? I checked out he Maf/VE thread on Ion forum and followed every step and i still get these -1.11 (around that range) on the Maf error.

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

VE and MAF are totally different from open and closed loop. You can tune the VE in open or closed loop and you can tune the MAF in open or closed loop.

The reason you are seeing such small AFR error in the midrange is because you have closed loop enabled so the fuel trims are keeping the AFR at or close to stoich. To tune with a wideband you want to see the raw error of whatver is in the VE or MAF table. So if you are tuning VE in closed loop then disable the MAF and plot the LTFT against the VE table and make corrections based on that. If you want to tune the VE with a wide band then disable the MAF, disable closed loop, clear out the fuel trims and plot AFR error against the VE table. Same thing with MAF. To tune the MAF with fuel trims, enable the MAF, leave closed loop enabled and plot the LTFT against the MAF table. To tune the MAF with a wideband, enable the MAF and disable closed loop, clear out fuel trims and plot the AFR error against the MAF table. Keep in mind that you cannot tune WOT/PE with fuel trims (closed loop).
    Bill Winters

i believe i have found my problem. I read your "part deux" thread and found the custom PID: (([pid.7101]/.5+9.8)-[sens.121])/[sens.121]*100... so i plugged that in to my MAF error histo, starting scanning and seems to be getting some realistic numbers now. Didn't get to go for a drive though, was too late at night but i deff will today after work.

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7