Thread: 416 won't pull past 5800

Tuner in Training

416 won't pull past 5800

My friend has a 2000 TA with an LS3 stroked to a 416 in it. We're running the car with the 2000 computer. Car has ported L92 heads, custom cam and is on approximately 11.3 compression. The VE table is good and the AFR is 12.98 right up untill 5800, at that point it goes to 19.0, backfires and dies. Its only on 18 degrees of timing. Our tuner couldn't find anything wrong when he tuned it. We've tried a crank relearn and that didn't help. Could there be something in the tune that should be done different for the large motor that maybe we all missed including our tuner? Oh, I believe the car has 42 lb injectors and it has been tuned speed density. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'll try to upload the tune tomorrow when I can get internet access with my laptop.

You might check the fuel pump (pressure, volume etc.)

Advanced Tuner
    Tune? Scan?
    what is your injector duty % at?

just a guess... 42's might not be enough, or pump starving as mrfister77 suggests.

MAF Patch?
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    Gonna try and get a tune and scan file posted this evening. We had thought that it might be fuel pump starving but its not a gradual loss of power like you'd expect. Its an instantaneous shut off. When we first put it together we had trouble with it only firing on 5 cylinders. The crank sensor waveform was whacked out so we changed the sensor and it went to running on all 8. So we're beginning to think it may be another problem with the crank sensor or reluctor wheel. Thanks for the replies.

What does it have for a reluctor wheel, crank sensor(color?) and cam gear(1X or 4X).
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

www.davenportmotorsports.com

Tuner in Training
    It has a 24 tooth reluctor wheel and a stock ls1 crank sensor. I'm not sure about the cam gear.

Tuner in Training cornerburner27's Avatar
    Being new to tuning, I unfortunately can't offer any help. But I would very much like to see the tune after the problems are resolved. I am building a 416 stroker for my car as well.
    "Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

This thread is pointless without files! lol