Thread: How do I get the timing advance to total sooner?

Tuner in Training

How do I get the timing advance to total sooner?

I am tuning an LD9 for circle track and the timing isn't coming on soon enough. When it comes out of the turn, I want it to total at 28 right away. Instead it is at 23 and ramps up to 28 at the end of the turn when he lets off. I tried adjusting the high octane timing table, but it makes no difference. Here is a log and a tune file.
    Brian

Tuner in Training
    Its a manual trans too.
    Brian

KR, your getting knock retard.

We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Tuner in Training
    Even when there is no knock it still isn't advancing.
    Brian

IAT Spark Correction could be playing part of it. But from looking at your trims you need to get fuel in line before worring about adding timing.

Tuner in Training
    I was wandering if the torque management would be doing it. Wich VE table do I need to change to adjust the trims? I've just been messing with the PE multiplier. I'm not new to tuning, just new to GM computers and software.
    Brian

I would start with Idle ve the high ve then on to dbl fire ve

Tuner in Training
    Why are the fuel trims so choppy? I'm not used to seeing them so all over the place. It makes it hard to determine if its rich or lean.
    Brian

because your looking at a non-steady state log.

Tuner in Training
    Care to explain? Any tips in determining which way to go? The fuel trims on Mitsubishi's(what i'm used to) are more steady.
    Brian

Tuner in Training
    So far, getting the fuel trims straightened out hasn't helped.
    Brian

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i believe google is trying to tell you that before you start playing with timing you need to make sure your car has a well tuned fuel tables first, then move onto adjusting timing tables.

i see your tune file here and a thing we do on some lsj's and lnf's is to take the high and low octane timing tables and make them match identically. this makes the timing the same(what you want it to be) no matter what table the ecu desides it wants to use.

EX: with how u got it now(file from first post), if you knock enough on the high octane table the ecu can switch to the low octane table with lower timing to help save the engine and prevent that hard knock event.
    now say you made them the same if it happened to knock and switch a table it doesnt matter cause they have the same values and runs what you put into those two tables.
    you can tune it so you get it to knock count 1-2*, then back that section off maybe 1-2* and monitor it to make sure it goes away. if i back it off 1 and it goes away then i remove 1* from that cell to give a safety margin. remember though you correct one table you have to copy it and paste it to the other table so they stay the same.

anywas that was a small fix for some lsj and lnf it may work for you it may work different. either way its worth a try and just monitor the shit out of kr and keep it low if not gone.

GOOGLE- is it possible to turn the multipliers in spark corr. off and just tune the advance in mechanically? only reason i ask is because those two correction factors take out between 2-5* on some spots.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    If you only run high octane then your high and low octane tables should be set to the same.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Tuner in Training
    I usually make them the same. I did manage to get it to do what I wanted. I changed the IAC and ECT spark tables. I am getting no knock either. I'm not getting any more power with increased timing, so I'm going to back it down a bit.
    Brian