Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Boosted... Where do I start?

Steve, All the wiring in my landcruiser has been changed to facilitate the larger fuel pump when I designed it. I have the pump wired positive and negative with 6 mm wire all the way to the battery. The relay size i will check as I cant remember. The waldron 1100 with the slow down device sounds the go. I will have to have a good look at how the pump control device is connected to the engine. One controller I read about used RPM and I can remember trying to get my landcruiser( 4x4 ute) tacho to work with the signal from the E40 ecm. The tune was set to frequency and we had to modify the signal and boost it as well. It took about 6 months to work it out as no one had done it in AUS before.
    Steve, when i performed my calculation for the pump I cal for 58 instead of 68. Pressure should have been 68 obviously allowing for the 10psi boost reference. The weldon website says the 1100 and the controller are both out of stock. I am not sure how the pump controller effects the injector settings or the rail pressure. I also emailed weldon racing for some more info about the 2 items about a week ago with no reply. I needed to know things like current draw of the pump to calculate voltage drop and how the controller is connected. The website is a bit limited with technical info on both. The aeromotive website does not list the 310lph fuel pump yet. Is it inline external or intank?
    Cheers Russ
    Last edited by Force; 08-20-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Here's the pump:

http://www.weldonracing.com/product/...Fuel_Pump.html

Here's the pump on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Weldo...item4aadb8551a

Here's the 600A specs on Weldon's site. They don't have the 1100-a specs posted for some reason, but it supports 1100 EFI HP, 1300 carbureted. I think it will support like 900 boosted, but depends on the boost level. In any event, more than you're going to make by a long shot. The 600 and 1100 are "quiet" pumps, relatively. The fuel flowing thru them surrounds the motor, and makes it quieter than their real EFI pumps (like the 2345).

600A pump has drawings and specs: http://www.weldonracing.com/product/...w_Through.html

I believe the 600a pump is just a bit bigger than a 255lph, but with much higher quality. The 1100a is supposedly the same housing, just with larger inlet and outlet, and the orfice inside is larger. Same motor. But it puts out a LOT more fuel.

We ran the 2345 in our mod motor drag radial car, and it is bad azz. But it is LOUD. The 1100 might not be the quietest thing itself, but slowing it down with a voltage reducer would help that. Isolating it from the frame would as well. Weldon also says you don't have to exactly have this pump gravity fed, which is quite a change from other pump manufacturers.

One thing about a weldon... when you hear it running, it has a sound of pure quality. There is zero waiver in pump rpm/sound. It's just a dead steady pump that sounds like real quality. Jim Craig is the guy at Weldon you want to talk to. He's their guy that goes to every NMRA race and puts up their tent. He knows what he's talking about.

Weldon says you don't have to run their voltage reducer on any of their pumps if you don't want to. That's a stark contrast to every other big pump maker, who says you'll burn their pumps up without one on the street. Ask Jim how often Weldon pumps come in for a rebuild. ;-)

By the way, I think you can get the pump, regulator, and voltage reducer in a kit cheaper than separately. Pump and regulator for sure. The reducer box just works as a voltage reducer, running the pump slower. Like the opposite of a boost-a-pump. But when you do that, you have to get rid of some heat in the process I think. There was something about HOW the Weldon unit works that was very different than the other voltage reducers on the market. I remember that something being important, and that my conclusion was to buy the Weldon product, even though it looks like something out of a science experiment.

http://www.weldonracing.com/product/...ontroller.html

The Aeromotive pump is a new intank, like the Walbro. Those flow numbers are impressive on it, from that website I linked the other day. But it might be short of what you need.

Thanks Steve, I did find the 600A weldon pump but did not realise it was the 310 L pump. It would be too small for the job so i bypassed it when looking. i will buy the 1100A weldon pump and thank you for the links. I have emailed both weldon and aeromotive again asking for a few more details but i will phone weldon and have a chat about the controller and how it is connected and operates. The amount of cuurent the 600A weldon uses is very low compared to the bosch 044. The 1100A would use more i gather and that is what I need to know for wiring purposes. I am not all that concerned with noise as the exhaust and spal engine fan drown out everything. It has been suggested that I supply ear muffs for the passengers. The truck causes waves in my neighbours fish tank when I drive up the driveway next to his house. lol. I wonder what activates the controller.

one thing that i have not said on this thread is that the landcruiser has a permanent wideband installed with its own display. It is called a techedge 2JI and is made in Aus. It will come in handy for the tuning. it connects to the side of the hptuners dongle when needed.

Advanced Tuner
    Just make sure you get the wideband formula right in HPT. I always check my wideband gage against my datalogs to make sure before I start tuning.

I'm not sure the 600A puts out 310L. Maybe at lower pressures? Jim Craig told me it was better than a Walbro 255, and would hold the flow at higher pressures longer, but not by that much. The 1100A seems to be the total answer for a high quality single pump that is fairly quiet, and can feed in the 800 - 900 HP range boosted.

When Weldon was telling me about the types of pumps they build for the military, and the specs they have to meet, I knew I had the right pump guys then and there.

Getting back to the power level the engine might get to, i actually designed the engine around the ls9 to some degree as far as compression ratio goes. The ls9 has 9.1:1 static and 378 cubes where mine ended up 9.2:1 and 403 cubes. The blower on the ls9 is also a roots type eaton blower which has the same design rotors as mine but with a different manifold. I cant remember if the ls9 is a 1.9litre/revolution blower or the 2.3litre like my truck. Even though the roots type blowers are intercooled under the rotors, They still have extremely hot intake temps and therefore you cannot run as much timing and leanness of fuel as you can on an intercooled
    procharger for instance.
    My exhaust would be a bit better for performance as well. My point is that the ls9 makes 638 hp so i thought i would make about 700hp max. crankshaft. In the end unless I engine dyno the trucks engine I wont get a decent reading at the rear wheels as I am running a th400 and a transfer case for the 4x4. and 33" tyres. It will be interesting to see how it ends up.

steve, I just had a look and the ls9 runs the bigger 2.3litre rotors in its blower, so they are identical to mine. I dont know the specs on the ls9 head, but i would think that my heads are not a lot bigger. I will see if I can find out. the ls9 head specs are close to the L92 head so the trickflow heads flow a lot better. Thank you for all your help pontisteve. It is greatly appreciated. i still have to get a copy of the second dvd and study it. Once i make the changes to the fuel system and complete the study i will return to this thread to change the tune. Thank you all. Russell.
    Last edited by Force; 08-22-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Pontesteve, if you are still around, I have attached a couple of pics of the landcruiser ute that we have been talking about. Cheers Russ

Advanced Tuner
    LOL you wouldn't see that coming at a street light!

What exactly is that thing's intended purpose in life?

I have a business on Moreton Island which is just east of Brisbane and it is used there as a sand 4x4 to carry gear. It will be raced at willowbank raceway as well once tuned over 1/4 mile. Mainly a hoon car for a 54 year old hoon. lol One thing I dont understand is with the fuel system the controller for the pump would cause less line pressure. How do we facilitate for that in the tuning?
    Last edited by Force; 08-26-2011 at 03:18 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    That's not true. As long as the fuel volume required by the engine is less than the amount the pump is putting out (in reduced voltage mode), the system will have the ability to create pressure. The pressure is made by the return regulator pinching off the return line.

Remember, at part throttle this thing isn't going to need very much fuel. And that pump will still put out quite a bit of fuel in low voltage. Under boost, you can use a hobbs switch to signal the controller to kick up the voltage. The pump then goes full blast. The controller might even increase voltage over your charging system's amount, I can't remember for sure. But if so, that's a good thing!

In tuning, as long as the pressure remains constant, we don't have any issues. This pump/controller setup description remains true regardless of whether or not its a Ford/Chevy style fuel system. At low voltage, that pump is still probably the equivelant of the Bosch 044 pump at full blast.

Yes, I understand.

Just spent the last couple hours reading this thread. Great information guys! I'm currently working on a LS3/6L80/TVS1900 in a 68 C10. I'm using the 80lb SD injectors and having a really fun time trying to get it dialed in. Hopefully with a lot of the info learned here, I will eventually get it running correctly....:-)
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692