Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 Duramax Tune

Tuner

06 Duramax Tune

I have been working on a customers 2006 Duramax with the Allison Transmission. Here is the current tune and he has noted several improvements, so far. One thing, when towing up a slight incline, black smoke is present and he wants that eliminated. I have attached the current tune and any ideas? This is my first deisel and still learning. He is looking for gas mileage.
    2008 Corvette Coupe
    Atomic Orange, 3LT, NPP, F55, CC3 and MN6

What all did you modify when it came to your boost tables? And what altitude is your buddy at when running this truck?
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Senior Tuner
    You have added more fuel, but you have not increased the boost to match that(your black smoke). You need to increase boost in the same areas you increase fuel. I can only see one timing table you have changed, this is largely where your economy increase will come from. You will find a timing calculator here. You need to apply the timing under all timing tables labeled main injection timing. Your injection pulse width table looks a little screwy to me, I would copy back the stock one and start over. Stay out of the idle areas in the top area all the way over to 20.

Tuner
    So.....Pilot 1, Pilot 1&2, Pilot 1&3, Pilot 3 and default should be the same. I tried the 50/50 calc and must have done something wrong since the SES comes on and the truck is sluggish. As far as the boost, suggestions?
    2008 Corvette Coupe

You low altitude and high altitude boost tables need switched.... at low altitude, you need to see around 14-15 psi in the upper left hand corner (0-10mm3 and 0-600 RPM) and 8-9 psi for the high altitude
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Senior Tuner
    Not sure where the above post was going, those tables are stock and proper when I compare them to other files. You want to leave the described areas specificly alone or it will try and make boost at idle.
    Add boost in the same range you added fuel. Add approx. same amount of boost as you added fuel. Stay out of the idle area across to 20mm3. It would be best to set up scanner and go for a drive, see what fuel cells you are in at highway speed as you do not want to add boost here either, it comes at a cost.

High and Low Baro Desired Boost table
    Andrew

Sent you a PM mecanicman.
    Andrew

Sorry Blacker for the confusion. I was confused on the tables but mecanicman got me straighten out lol!
    Andrew

Tuner
    Here is the file with the 50/50 modifications. Hopefully I did it right. Also, he is looking for mileage.
    2008 Corvette Coupe

Senior Tuner
    Did you attach the file you intended? The only modifications to these are timing calculator and some transmission mods. Your fuel economy improvement will come from the timing calculator.

Tuner
    Added the latest file and modified the EGR boost tables and used the 50/50 Calc.
    2008 Corvette Coupe

Senior Tuner
    Looks good to me as your starting tune, you know what and where to modify if you want more. The only thing you need to still modify is the torque management or you will defuel significantly on shifts. If you have the time to play, I would throw the tune in the truck as is and do some driving so the trans relearns transdapts. Will show you the defueling.
    Under Engine-Fuel-Diesel-Base Quantity Torque Based multiply by 1.1
    Engine-Torque Management-Engine-Driver demand multiply by 1.1
    Engine-Torque Management-Peak Torque multiply by 1.1
    This should get you close, may need little more increase.
    I would recommend installing a pyro as you said he was towing. Advise him to watch the temperature, stay below 1350F by either backing out of it or downshifting(tune is small, more a precaution depending on trailer size). Also, I would advise against towing in 5 and 6 gear under load(up hill, into wind, ect). There are plenty of places to read about the allison limitations in 5 and 6, and while not a big tune, this one does have the potential to make more torque then those gears are going to be happy with. That being said I have customers that do tow in those gears and have thousands of miles with out failure, but they are conscience about what is going on. Just want to cover the bases so you dont have complaints about cooked trans.

Fuel mileage on these trucks stock is approx. 16-17 mpg(canadian) not pulling, I have seen up to 25mpg.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 05-12-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Tuner
    I made the recommended changes and what causes the P003A - Boost Control Position Not Learned.
    Last edited by Blacker; 05-19-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    2008 Corvette Coupe

Senior Tuner
    You need to disable the boost test. The pcm runs a test putting the vanes to specific point and seeing if the boost it creates matches what it expects. As you have been playing this correlation is off. Disable the boost test(torque management-tubrbocharger) and you should be fine.

Edit: Looked at your tune, you have done this. If you have access to a tech II you can do the learn procedure, if not disable the code and you should be fine(been awhile since I had to fight with it, I think this is what I did)
    Last edited by mecanicman; 05-19-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Tuner
    Man, you're awesome
    2008 Corvette Coupe

Tuner
    The last 2 tanks of gas have averaged 13.5 and 14.5 mpg. Not quite what the owner was expecting.
    2008 Corvette Coupe

Senior Tuner
    Post up the tune as you have it in the truck and the stock one. I will have look. I am going to assume the mileage is towing something? What was he getting before?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacker View Post
    The last 2 tanks of gas have averaged 13.5 and 14.5 mpg. Not quite what the owner was expecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    Post up the tune as you have it in the truck and the stock one. I will have look. I am going to assume the mileage is towing something? What was he getting before?
    Or has he been having a little fun with the new found power?
    1968 Chevy C10 SWB - Project
    2018 Denali L5P

Senior Tuner
    LOL- also a possibility!