Thread: case learn problem

Tuner in Training douglasmelter's Avatar

case learn problem

im in need of doing a case relearn as i believe my pcm is having problems finding the motors position do to my newly rebuilt motor so i started the case learn and immediatly the case relearn shuts off or the computer states that my rpm is too high..whats wrong here? no matter how slow i rev teh motor the case relearn states my rpm goes too high

Senior Tuner
    what vehicle, what version hp tuners, do you have park brake on?

idk the version of hptuners but i have a 2000 grand prix gtp with the 3800 supercharged engine and i dont have an ebrake but have never had one before and never had a problem

Senior Tuner
    The pcm must see that input to work.

Senior Tuner
    CKP System Variation Learn Procedure
    After a learn procedure is performed, the powertrain control module (PCM) stores the crankshaft position system (CKP) variation compensating values in the PCM non-volatile memory. If the actual CKP system variation is not within the CKP variation compensating values stored in the PCM, DTC P0300 may set. Refer to Diagnostic Aids for DTC P0300 Engine Misfire Detected .

If any of the following conditions exist, perform the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure:

DTC P1336 is set
    The PCM has been replaced
    The engine has been replaced
    The crankshaft has been replaced
    The crankshaft harmonic balancer has been replaced
    The crankshaft position sensor has been replaced

Important
    Set the vehicle parking brake, and block the drive wheels when you perform the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure in order to prevent personal injury. Release the throttle when the engine reaches the SECOND fuel cut off. Leaving the throttle open during the fuel cut off will allow the engine to decel at an even rate. Once the learn procedure is completed, the PCM will return the engine control to the operator, and the engine will respond to the throttle position.

Important
    The scan tool crankshaft position system variation learn function will be inhibited if the engine coolant temperature is less than 70°C (158°F). Allow the engine to warm to at least 70°C (158°F) before you attempt the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure.

The scan tool crankshaft position system variation learn function will be inhibited if any powertrain DTCs other than DTC P1336 are set before or during the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure. Diagnose and repair any DTCs that are set.

The crankshaft position system variation learn function will be inhibited if the PCM detects a malfunction involving the camshaft position signal circuit, the 3X reference circuit, or the 18X reference circuit.

If the scan tool indicates a problem with the cam signal, refer to DTC P0341 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance .
    If the scan tool indicates a problem with the 3X crank signal, refer to DTC P1374 Crankshaft Position (CKP) High to Low Resolution Frequency Correlation .
    If the scan tool indicates a problem with the 18X crank signal, refer to DTC P0336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit .

Set the parking brake.
    Block the driver wheels.
    Ensure that the hood is closed.
    Start the engine, and allow engine coolant temperature to reach at least 70°C (158°F).
    Turn OFF the ignition.
    Select and enable the CKP Variation Learn Procedure with the scan tool.
    Start the vehicle.
    Firmly apply and hold the service brake pedal.
    Ensure that the transaxle is in Park.
    Increase the accelerator pedal position until the CKP system variation learn fuel cutoff is reached. The CKP system variation learn fuel cutoff is reached at 5,150 RPM. Release the accelerator pedal when the second fuel cutoff is reached.
    The crankshaft position system variation compensating values are learned when RPM decreases back to idle. If the procedure terminates, refer to the Important above for instructions.
    Observe DTC status for DTC P1336.
    If the scan tool indicates that DTC P1336 ran and passed, the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P1336 failed or did not run, check for other DTCs. If no DTCs other than P1336 are set, repeat the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure as necessary.

i greatly appreciate your help in this matter but this didnt help at all. i dont have any codes running at all and its still not working. i press begin to start the variance and the computer tells me to gradually raise rpm till fuel cut off. when i do this it either goes back to highlighting the begin button or simply tells me that the vehicle rpm is too high. hptuners is reading the rpm correctly because it shows on the right hand side of the screen. i have successfully done this procedure before with no problems but i cant get it to work now.

Senior Tuner
    Ok, one last suggestion. I dont know if it will help, but due to problems there were updates to the crank position relearn in the hptuners beta's. Email support and ask for the newest beta and try that.

Advanced Tuner
    Just watching.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

also..i gutted the abs module this winter and redid the brake system with all non abs parts..could this be a problem?