Thread: 2.0 LSJ Idle Surging.

Potential Tuner

2.0 LSJ Idle Surging.

Whats up guys,
    I have been reading up on everything for over a year before starting to tune my own car. I still have alot to learn and read up on. My problem is I have a surging idle when I am on my running tune. My afr is sweeping from 10's to high 17's. A buddy told me it could be a exhaust leak so I changed my gaskets and n I have also set dynamic airflow to 1500 rpms so that I am running VE on idle. When I am tuning VE(using 04redline's guide to maf/ve tuning off the redline forums), I have no surge at idle and my afr stays a steady 14.6-14.7. I have attached my running file and my VE tuning file. Any type of input is appreciated.

Attachment 28309

Attachment 28310

Potential Tuner
    anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by chood711 View Post
    My afr is sweeping from 10's to high 17's.

This will cause surging. Adjust your ve/maf and smooth it out.
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    This will cause surging. Adjust your ve/maf and smooth it out.
    Thanks for the reply but I know that the afr goes hand in hand with the surge, but I don't know what is the causing that. When I tune VE, I force the pcm into open loop by failing MAF. Then I disable dfco, ltft, and stft. I leave COT and piston protection disabled and change my open loop tables to 1.00. I do some logging and get my VE dialed in and I the idle is 14.6-14.7, reseting feul trims after any change to VE. Once I get VE dialed in I re-enable the dfco, ltft, stft, and un-fail the MAF. Then the idle is all over the place. I have the Dynamic air set to 1500 rpm so I should be running off the VE table so I dont know why it is sweeping as if I am running 100% MAF.

Quote Originally Posted by chood711 View Post
    Thanks for the reply but I know that the afr goes hand in hand with the surge, but I don't know what is the causing that. When I tune VE, I force the pcm into open loop by failing MAF. Then I disable dfco, ltft, and stft. I leave COT and piston protection disabled and change my open loop tables to 1.00. I do some logging and get my VE dialed in and I the idle is 14.6-14.7, reseting feul trims after any change to VE. Once I get VE dialed in I re-enable the dfco, ltft, stft, and un-fail the MAF. Then the idle is all over the place. I have the Dynamic air set to 1500 rpm so I should be running off the VE table so I dont know why it is sweeping as if I am running 100% MAF.

When you re enable the maf your using a blend of maf/ve upto 1500. You need to set the maf to 1 rpm and tune the maf. Then once the maf is tuned, set it back to 1500. Also it is a good Idea when tuning ve to zerro the maf table to ensure that the pcm does not use the maf table for the hz it is in.
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    When you re enable the maf your using a blend of maf/ve upto 1500. You need to set the maf to 1 rpm and tune the maf. Then once the maf is tuned, set it back to 1500. Also it is a good Idea when tuning ve to zerro the maf table to ensure that the pcm does not use the maf table for the hz it is in.
    I dialed the MAF in before I started to VE tune, but I didnt zero out the MAF table. I will give that a shot. thanks

Potential Tuner
    I have read on Cobaltss.net that if you are running a CAI intake, dirt will build up on the butterfly valve in the throttle bottle and cause the rpms to surge at idle. i have to clean it atleast once a month, depending on driving habits. try that also.