Thread: How to get firmer TCC engagement?

Potential Tuner

How to get firmer TCC engagement?

I have a 2004 Cavalier 4t40e trans. How do I firm up the TCC engagement in 4th gear while cruising? All my shifts are nice and firm then the TCC kicks in 4th and its sounds really sloppy. Please Help.

Note: I disabled 2nd gear TCC engagement. HPT v.2.22

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    You can post your tune but I do not know that there is any way to alter how the TCC locks up, just at what speeds. Mabey try turning off TCC in 4th gear as well, then see if you can tune line pressure & shift quickness and get it to still go into 4th -but hopefully the way you wanted?

Potential Tuner
    I have it shifting good in every gear but just when the TCC kicks it doesnt sound like a firm engagement. Sounds more like the tranny is slipping. Which I know for sure its not. I could disable it completely but Im unsure how it will affect fuel economy. Or should I just active at a higher speed?

Ask support if they can add the TCC min & max duty cycle tables.

Russ Kemp

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    If you disable it or activate TCC at higher speeds, either one will hurt your fuel economy. I believe on most performance automatics you're supposed to turn off TCC while racing. They usually have a switch. Part of your brake system can actually be custom fabricated/wired to preform this function on some cars with their OEM transmissions. I noticed your 3-4 Full Throttle Shift Speed was set to 256! Also that way on your Part Throttle Shift after 44%TPS but that's ok. I took alot of time tuning my shifts and like the way they feel. You can try my settings for 3-4 shifting, or all of my shift settings. It's set up to shift quickly for less wear,(especially 1-2 shift) not insanely hard though, and allows overdrive to kick in earlier(40mph) at very light throttle for more MPG's. And you should check out EGR. It can be used to get you mileage when you're willing to live with it and if it's disabled, your engine temps will be alot warmer at red lights and drive through burger lines. Any of my settings other than the Transmission Tables aren't what you're looking for but feel free to look anyway. Look under Calibration Details in the top of my tune for more/all info.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 05-20-2011 at 11:33 AM.