Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E85 MPG's

E85 MPG's

This past weekend I went on a road trip with the Cobalt and my plan was while on the drive, I was going to maximize the mileage! So I played and gained a SUBSTANTIAL amount of MPG's! Im now getting better MPG on the E Blend then I was getting on 93 alone. Given, if I work on similar changes with the pump gas tune I could prolly make that better still. This was till a huge improvement!

Here's my Cam and Timing Tables:

All of the Cam and Timing tables match those, meaning all of each are the same as teh 1 posted above

See if you gain some MPG's as well!

I also did make some gains on the last dyno session with different cam tables in the high load column, Im waiting to go back and test some more before releasing those tho. They will only benefit people on E85, but I will say I adjusted both tables to make some real gains
    Last edited by BackyardTurbo_FTW; 05-17-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    very nice its all smooth and the timing up top with the E is really nice as well
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Do the good mileage cam tables hurt the power substantially from what you can tell?

Not at all, the car is extremely responsive and smooth

Tuner in Training
    Nice work! What kind of mileage are you seeing during all in town driving? I have an LSJ so we obviously dont have the cam tables but just messing with the timing table a bit has netted me 21mpg in town on 100% E85, and thats not driving like a grandma either

Your timing table is a little smoother than mine but this is where im at on my 70-30 tune "7gallons E and 3gallons midgrade at the pump". I use this table and average about a 4.7 60-100 and about 26-27mpg average still. My cam tables are close to what you have but are a little more retarded in the cruize section. I think they are actually the ones GMtech posted but i made some changes in the high load areas and where the highest retard areas were for cruize. Just compared the timing tables. Not sure if you just werent sure how high you could go and just keeping it conservative, but there are still a quite a few cells you can bump up two or three degrees. I run that table and only get 1-2* kr ever so randomly on cylinder 4. Check it out.
    Last edited by silverbullet08; 05-18-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Comparison info
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

I could, but then if you are on/off the throttle in spots I get some random KR, which I just don't like.

Initially, I started out with 26 MPG on the highway with my 2007 normally aspirated 2.2 Liter Cobalt with E-85 (adjusting only stoich). After just a basic and simple tune on the spark tables:

Copied the high octane spark table into low octane table and adding 6 degrees of additional advance to both tables, I now have

43 MPG highway
    31 MPG City
    36 MPG combined

This is on E-85!

If GM spent ANY time optimizing the E-85 tables I can find no evidence of it.

This is considerably higher than the 36 to 37 MPG (highway) performance that I got with gasoline.

This is a very easy tune to do if you have a Cobalt.

Increase the starting air by 40%. Correct the stoich tables to about 10.25. Copy high octane spark table into low octane spark table, increase both tables by 6 degrees. Pay less for E-85 and get better mileage too!

Absolutely NO KR.
    Sam Michael
    Chemical/Controls Engineer

Hi Sam,
    just a question but are you checking the mpg tank to tank via actual gallons used via mileage at fill up? This might sound like a basic question but I know when playing with the tunes the DIC mpg can be off by quite a bit.

Carlos
    1999 Corvette Coupe LS1 A&A Vortech V3SI A4
    2012 Ford F150 Ext Cab Ecoboost
    2002 Corvette Z06

Potential Tuner
    this makes me wish we had e85 around me

f yall and your VVT!!! haha

jealous, but thats awesome...would i be able to do anything similar with my lsj?
    Caution:Slow Learner

work on the cruise timing, keeping ramping up until it knocks. that will help with fuel consumption. you can also change the stoich afr to be slightly leaner

Advanced Tuner
    These tables make the car ride very smooth. Have not got a final for the gas mileage just yet.

glad you like

I also set the WG table to limit to like 70% below 3k, also makes it even smoother and stops it from spiking hard down low. Ill post a pic of my table later on.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds good! Good work!

Tuner in Training
    the cam tables work pretty well for 93 also, that and working my cruise spark timing has netted me a few MPG. Do you think lowering the DAL during cruise would help?

If your using injector constant to compensate for E85 then your display in your car for MPGs is scaled up how ever far you scaled the injector table. I thought i was getting a huge gain in mpgs until i did an actual pen and paper test. Yes i did net 3-4mpg better with changed cam tables, injection angle tables, and spark tables but wasnt getting the 30mpg my display said.
    I did another test on this as well. I backed my car down to a 50/50 mix which with my set up puts me on factory MAF tables and injector constant. Using all the same tables as before my display went from average of 29-30 to about 25-26mpg. It could be better but im always datalogging and make a pull ever other chance i get.

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    glad you like

I also set the WG table to limit to like 70% below 3k, also makes it even smoother and stops it from spiking hard down low. Ill post a pic of my table later on.
    I made one like this it sounds like. Didnt see why GM made this table so erratic. I made it raise slightly as rpms went up to help with a little more power in higher rpm daily driving. It falls off like factory does under high rpm no throttle. helped the spikes you see when you take of a little faster from a light. My car has always been a boost turd so if anyone wants to use this table i would lower the higher load area. It may work for some but i like the way it drives normal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jboogie67 View Post
    the cam tables work pretty well for 93 also, that and working my cruise spark timing has netted me a few MPG. Do you think lowering the DAL during cruise would help?
    They do?

I've been trying to fiddle with cam tables for a couple months now. I've tried so many variations and I'm starting to confuse myself lol. I've reverted back to an old set of tables that GMTech posted a while back. He also posted revised tables that were supposed to be a better compromise between throttle reponse and MPG's. I haven't tried that one yet either.

I've been trying to mix and match and then see if there are any gains to be had at WOT.

I'm working on things and I feel like I'm going nowhere with these tabels and just confusing myself lol.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09