Thread: Virtual VE tuning, to do or not to do?

Tuner in Training

Virtual VE tuning, to do or not to do?

Ok so I read all the stickies on it and I have downloaded the virtual VE generator and I understand how it all works. I haven't had a chance to use it yet on a vehicle but it may be around the corner. However, a tuner friend of mine told me that tuning the VE on the newer computers is not recommended and that tuning MAF only is the only way to go. But from what I've seen the virtual ve program is sound and obviously works well or it wouldn't've been stickied. But my buddie says he was told by one of the HPtuners staff not to tune ve on the newer vehicles. So my question is, how much success have you guys had with the virtual VE program and with tuning VE on the new computers?

you can always see for your self if u have time why not ...i payed with it a little but have not used it YET ..
    specialize in: V8 Conversion & Tuning (UAE- DUBAI)
    supercharge installation
    Salah clutches for Nissan, Toyota and GM car

Tuner in Training
    I'm not an expert by any means, but why would you not want to tune VE? Are you saying that running MAF only is preferable? I could see someone at hptuners suggesting a custom OS with a real VE table rather than an external tool, but not skipping VE tuning entirely.
    -- J.

2007 Z06, Haltech KBII intake, Katech torquer cam, Kooks 1 7/8 headers and Corsa exhaust (with cats)

Tuner in Training
    Well that's what I was thinking too. From what I could find, the guys in the sticky seem to like doing it with the virtual VE in leau of a custom OS. I was just getting conflicting info from my tuner friend, who I trust very much and I know knows what he's doing. I just don't think he's dicovered this software yet and hasn't got the whole virtual VE figured out. I just don't want to screw up somebody's ride and wanted some opinions other than what's in the sticky as far as results with it.

Advanced Tuner
    Jury is out on this one, everybody has an opinion both ways. I would NOT do a customers car without tuning both, but that is just me.

I look at it two ways...
    The GenIV computer doesn't rely on that virtual VE table nearly as much as the GenIII did. On a GenIII PCM it's a requirement to do both to at least 4000 rpm for smooth operation or wherever you set the RPM value to. You can make a GenIV vehicle run perfectly fine by just "disabling" the VE stuff and run MAF only. You could even go as far as saying that you should be just "disabling" it unless you completely tune both VE and MAF because if the MAF ever fails the car could be driven on like it's just fine and people may even beat on it with a check engine light or they may not see it and assume it's fine. However if it's "disabled" and the MAF fails you won't be beating on it and you will KNOW that something is up. How many people are willing to pay for the extra time required to do both when one will work just fine? Not many from what I've found...

Either way, lots of opinions on this subject.
    Last edited by NicD; 05-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.

2016 C7 Z06 | 2017 ZL1 | 2009 C6 Z06 | 1994 GT - The LS-stang | 2010 Tahoe SSV

Tuner
    MAF only runs great...and it's a whole lot faster, easier.

Advanced Tuner
    Do what you want, but my personal opinion is to tune both. It's really not that hard to do data logging and update a few tables.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Advanced Tuner
    but to throw a wrench here....think of all the joke tuning shops that don't even touch the VE or MAF and send customers on their way all while charging $500+ for a "tune". Many of the cars run fine, not optimal, not GREAT, but they run enough in most cases...
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Tuner in Training
    Tune the MAF and VE. Then run SD only for a day, see how you like it. Then run MAF only, see how you like it. Both have pros and cons.

You also didn't say what you were going to use this car for...
    07 Z06. Stock LS7 Bottom-end, Katech Torquer 110, ARH LTs w/Cats, Halltech KBII CAI w/Beehive, 160* t-stat.