Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Timing Calculator how to

Advanced Tuner
    WOrking on a LMM tune and trying to follow along, but having a hard time with all of the pilot and etc. Ie what tables do I modify and etc? As well, when I'm working with the fule pressure, which table do I use?

Here's a screen shot of what I'm talkinig about. If I'm understanding it right, the two base pressures correspond with the two timing tables? But what about the others that need to be changed? Do I keep following the same logic like the second picture?

Use either. To be honest, unless you are changing altitudes a lot, it isn't going to affect all that much. Log your truck and see what the MAP is with the truck off. This will give you an idea of what your Baro is, then use that reading to figure out what table you are in.
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Advanced Tuner
    The truck is a tow rig and hauls a 53' trailer everywhere it goes. I could take 30,000 lbs (3 trucks) down to Vancouver and see everything from about sea level to about 8000 ft on one drive, one day.

So should I take each of the 4 pressure tables, 50-50 them and match them to each of the pilot's? Or?

For some reason this is the part that is super confusing to me.....

No worries... Personally, I would just use the Low Alt Hi table for all of your fuel pressures, and copy the 50-50 timing table into all of your timing tables like Mecanicman's tutorial shows. IF, if you wanted to get picky, look at the stock timing tables (the Pilot 1 On Hi, med, low alt hi, and low alt low) and look for the differnce in timing change. Then apply that difference to the 50 50 timing you made up. So, paste the 50-50 (no change) into the low alt low. THEN look at the difference between the stock low low and the low hi and make the same difference to the 50-50 timing. Then paste the 50-50 low hi (that you just made the difference to) into the low alt hi table. do the same for the med and hi timing tables.... How much is this really going to benefit you? I am not sure. Getting your boost setup for the baro change is probably more important than having your timing tables changed. In a perfect world, you would dyno at each baro level, but lets face it, the cost to do that would greatly out weigh any savings you had if you just did a blanket 50-50 change to all tables.... Some things to ponder.
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like I am over complicating it...

So your saying take this fuel pressure, this PW and plug them into the timing calculator, set what ever timing I want, then paste the results into all of these tables? So that all of the tables have the same data?

Or since the defualt timing tables are different, make four timing tables? And use them to populate the ones above?

Pretty much. Keep going though, you have the Pilot 1&3 and Pilot 3 tables left lol

And for the fuel pressure, you can use either the low low of the low hi.
    Andrew

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ajamesbond007 View Post
    Pretty much. Keep going though, you have the Pilot 1&3 and Pilot 3 tables left lol

And for the fuel pressure, you can use either the low low of the low hi.
    Oh, ok. The walk through above doesn't show to change them..

What do you change on the pilot 3? Looking at the table it's just a 0 in the 0 column and 1 in the 1 column

Ah crap, I went to far lol. Disregard my last part about the pilot 1&3 and pilot 3 comment... spoke too soon lol.
    Andrew

Advanced Tuner
    Ah crap, I went to far lol. Disregard my last part about the pilot 1&3 and pilot 3 comment... spoke too soon lol.
    lol

So I just do the pilot 1 and pilot 1&2 then. Oh, and default timing.

Yes sir!
    Andrew

Advanced Tuner
    Yes sir!
    Bitchin! I'll get one put together and let you critique it

Advanced Tuner
    Somebody mind taking a look at my first attempt of this and see if I got it right?
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...716#post311716

Thanks!!

Potential Tuner

Can someone look at this tune?

Hi hate to hijack this post but can someone look at this tune?

Senior Tuner
    start your own thread and ask questions. You did not use timing calculator. I highly recommend not running that file, its messed up to the point of potential engine damage. Find the stickies at the top of the diesel section and read. Then start over.

nwm found it!

Tuner in Training
    to be sure I understand this:
    This calculator is used to adjust the factory injector timing using factory fuel quantities. By adjusting the timing, we should see increases in economy and power while not adding any boost or any fuel.

Is that correct?

If that is correct, I can only assume that the reason it is not this way from the factory is due to an increase in emissions.

If I was seeking even more power output, I would adjust the pulse width, boost, desired torque etc etc and then finish up with this calculator.

Is that correct?

I just want to clarify this for myself and other readers.

Lastly, for the VGT people, couldn't we program the vanes to be open under cruise to reduce back pressure? Would that increase economy or hurt it? Also, changing the exhaust by eliminating the DPF and Cat and lowering back pressure post turbine, it would make sense to spend some time better calibrating the VGT to be more open under power than they are already (as less backpressure means higher gas velocity at the turbine and therefor less requirement for shut vanes). This should also up the power output.

Senior Tuner
    The timing calculator is used to adjust timing to a specific ratio of fuel delivered before/after tdc on any tune configuration, not just the stock tables. The factory uses different values for both emmisions and to quiet the engine. Your order of operations is correct.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    The timing calculator is used to adjust timing to a specific ratio of fuel delivered before/after tdc on any tune configuration, not just the stock tables. The factory uses different values for both emmisions and to quiet the engine. Your order of operations is correct.
    I had figured the "late" timing in the cruise region was for noise as well.

Thanks for clarifying.

Tuner in Training
    Question for mechanicman.
    I am working on my first tune on an 05 LLY/Allison C3500 that pulls an RV (15k) anywhere from sea level to approx. 14k ft elevation (in Texas, New Mexico). I have followed the tuning procedure and used timing spreadsheet and all looks good.
    My question is clarification about the Base low, Base med, and Base high Injector timing tables. Does each table need to go through the timing spreadsheet independently? or copy and paste the low table only? This may have been answered, but I have been unable to find it.

By the way, thanks for sharing such a useful tool.

Also, my computer may be acting up, but not all of the screenshots are coming through. Is this from a HPT software change?

Tuner in Training
    2005 JoeC c3500 Duramax 20-20.hpt

BTW, Here is the tune I am ready to load. Please feel free to critique.