Thread: Help VATS disable 99 Tahoe

Tuner

Help VATS disable 99 Tahoe

Hey guys, I hate asking dumb questions, but I've searched and searched and read and read with no definitive answers. I have a 99 Tahoe (5.7 vortec) and a VATS/security problem. Will disabling the VATS in the PCM eliminate the starting/running problem? I've read that it will, but the security light may remain on due to the PASSLOCK problem that originally prevented it from running. That I can deal with. I've also read that disabling the VATS in the PCM does nothing without disabling the Vats system in the BCM. Based on what I have come up with on my own, I think the first scenario is correct. If I can be done with this for two credits, I'm all for it. If not, then I'll apply those bucks to fixing it without the flash. Anybody know for sure?

Thanks,
    Donnie
    02 35thSS,A4>M6, 3.73 gear, PRC stg 2.5 5.3L heads,TS torquer v2 cam 232/234 .595/.598 112LSA,CAI,36lb injectors, shorty headers, gutted cats, racetronix pump w/ hotwire, HP Tuners,NGK WB through EGR, Bunch of UMI and Spohn susp. parts. All work done by me, and tuned with the help of some great people on this forum!

Senior Tuner
    Disabling the vats will allow the truck to run. The pcm will not look for the enabling signal, will just run. The dash light will likely remain on depending on what the problem is.

Tuner
    Thanks mecanicman! Thats what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure. The wiring diagrams seemed to support that.
    02 35thSS,A4>M6, 3.73 gear, PRC stg 2.5 5.3L heads,TS torquer v2 cam 232/234 .595/.598 112LSA,CAI,36lb injectors, shorty headers, gutted cats, racetronix pump w/ hotwire, HP Tuners,NGK WB through EGR, Bunch of UMI and Spohn susp. parts. All work done by me, and tuned with the help of some great people on this forum!